• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More respect?

33 posts in this topic

What titles that began and ended in the Bronze Age do you wish collectors had more interest in/more respect for today?

I'd vote for Roy Thomas's Invaders. Bringing GA characters back to life and introducing them to new readers in the 70's was both significant and creative.

Others?

I always had a fondness for the Marvel Two in One and Team-Up books. Yes, now that everything is a cross-over, it's not such a big deal, but it was fun having my two favorite characters hook up with randomly assorted other marvel characters in various concocted situations.

Pre-Iron Fist Power Man was classic 70s kitch.

I am convinced that I'm the ONLY fan of this comic....

The Occult Files of Dr. Spektor !!

Nice (and very different) Jesse Santos art...just something about it I always liked...

Didn't get them all until about six years ago...no one ever brought any to any shows, until I found someone who specialized in Horror titles.

Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, Mr. Hyde, and others plus who could forget Baron Tibor and Ra-Ka-Tep!!???

Not me!!!!

headbang.gif

I always had a fondness for the Marvel Two in One and Team-Up books.

Along with ASM, Marvel Team-up was THE book I loved as a kid, and whenever I'd go to stores or shows, I'd love to look at the MTU #1 with the $20 price tag, and some of the other early issues that I could never afford.

The first 10 issues or so do get the respect in HG CGC form, but I'd like to see the later 20-30 books get a bit more interest.

Master of Kung Fu,hands down. Why no one has made this into a feature film amazes me.

thumbsup2.gif I thought the writing and art in this title blew away anything else being done in the mid-70s.

Invaders was a good pick, but I loved the Champions. Early Byrne work ( hi.gif Beyonder) was one of the highlights. I just liked who was on the team: two former X-Men (Iceman and Angel), two major supporting characters in other Marvel books (Hercules for Thor and Black Widow for Daredevil) and one loner (Ghost Rider).

Why not make a Champions movie! insane.gif

Invaders was a good pick, but I loved the Champions. Early Byrne work ( hi.gif Beyonder) was one of the highlights. I just liked who was on the team: two former X-Men (Iceman and Angel), two major supporting characters in other Marvel books (Hercules for Thor and Black Widow for Daredevil) and one loner (Ghost Rider).

Pete,

I agree with the Champions (loved Black Widow and Ghost Rider), and will throw in Iron Fist because of the Byrne artwork as well. cloud9.gif

Some DC picks--

Sword of Sorcery. Scripts by Denny O'Neil. Early artwork by Howard Chaykin. In the last couple of issues (#4 and #5) you get early early work by Walt Simonson and Jim Starlin! Sure it was designed to cash in on Conan, but unlike the later clone of Claw the Unconquered (drawn by Ernie Chua no less foreheadslap.gif), this was a legitimate adaptation of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd & Grey Mouser stories.

All-Star Comics. Some of Wally Wood's last work, and some of Keith Giffen's very first. This team book blew the socks off the contemporary JLA and Legion issues. Though the transition to Joe Staton was pretty jarring, even those issues look good in retrospect. (Not sure this qualifies as being a completely self-contained Bronze series, since obviously it is a revival from the GA) #69 has the first appearance of the Huntress, and is starting to get some notice.

but my choice would have to be

Phantom Stranger Sure, the early pre-Neal Adams issues are kind of lame, and the middle "Dr. Zorn" period by Arnold Drake and Gerry Talaoc does drag (despite having some covers that still rock ). But the Jim Aparo run is top-notch, and often is wrapped in a classic Neal Adams cover. There's also the nice early Mike Grell issue. And the last few issues have a cool cross over between Deadman and P.S. that as well ties in to the Deadman Silver Age conclusion from Brave & Bold 86. headbang.gif

Some DC picks--

Sword of Sorcery. Scripts by Denny O'Neil. Early artwork by Howard Chaykin. In the last couple of issues (#4 and #5) you get early early work by Walt Simonson and Jim Starlin! Sure it was designed to cash in on Conan, but unlike the later clone of Claw the Unconquered (drawn by Ernie Chua no less foreheadslap.gif), this was a legitimate adaptation of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd & Grey Mouser stories.

Have you read the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser 4 issue prestige mini put out by Epic back in 1990? It's MUCH better than the S & S series and it has kickass art by Mignola. cloud9.gif

Some DC picks--

All-Star Comics. Some of Wally Wood's last work, and some of Keith Giffen's very first. This team book blew the socks off the contemporary JLA and Legion issues. Though the transition to Joe Staton was pretty jarring, even those issues look good in retrospect. (Not sure this qualifies as being a completely self-contained Bronze series, since obviously it is a revival from the GA) #69 has the first appearance of the Huntress, and is starting to get some notice.

but my choice would have to be

Phantom Stranger Sure, the early pre-Neal Adams issues are kind of lame, and the middle "Dr. Zorn" period by Arnold Drake and Gerry Talaoc does drag (despite having some covers that still rock ). But the Jim Aparo run is top-notch, and often is wrapped in a classic Neal Adams cover. There's also the nice early Mike Grell issue. And the last few issues have a cool cross over between Deadman and P.S. that as well ties in to the Deadman Silver Age conclusion from Brave & Bold 86. headbang.gif

Nice picks Zonk - Its all about DC headbang.gif

893censored-thumb.gif those zombites devil.gif

Pete,

I agree with the Champions (loved Black Widow and Ghost Rider), and will throw in Iron Fist because of the Byrne artwork as well. cloud9.gif

I just don't think Iron Fist needs more respect. Isn't a movie coming? And esp IF 14 and 15 go for multiples of any Champion book.

I'd vote for Roy Thomas's Invaders. Bringing GA characters back to life and introducing them to new readers in the 70's was both significant and creative.

I thought the concept of the Invaders was totally cool, particularly as I was a big Cap fan. But Frank Robbins' art completely ruined the series for me and prevented me from buying anything more than a few token issues. Hands down the WORST artist in comic history!

Marvel: Master of Kung Fu - Great Gulacy artwork, tense plots, complex characters, a star-crossed love angle, and viscious fights made for a terrific book.

DC: Kamandi - Yes, it is derivative of Planet of the Apes, but I loved the notion of an "intelligent" human and small band of animals that support him fighting against the current social order. Plus, the usual awesome Kirby machines in each ish.

Some DC picks--

Have you read the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser 4 issue prestige mini put out by Epic back in 1990? It's MUCH better than the S & S series and it has kickass art by Mignola. cloud9.gif

No, I haven't. I was only vaguely aware of it, but I'm a huge Mignola fan, so I'll have to check it out. thumbsup2.gif

I just looked it up on www.comics.org and see that Chaykin himself wrote the adaptations for the Epic series! 893applaud-thumb.gif