• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to expect if submitting with markings?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

Fairly new to slabbing and these boards, but figured to go start with my 25+ year old collection. And wanted to ask the good people here what to expect if submitting an issue with some interior and exterior markings? What experiences have you come across? 

Context: I was checking out 2 copies of ASM 40 and noticed some pages had some parts colored in. Here are some examples:

Originally as printed:

frame_original.thumb.jpg.2d9b311e47c2deeb70e79e1f6812bff8.jpg

But noticed the other copy had this (eyes and lips are colored in):

frame_marked.thumb.jpg.2b504b3669d95648ac65328d2dadcd16.jpg

But it's not just this section. There are some other sections and the back has some underlined words (looks like the same marker). The above coloring also bled through to the advertisement on the other side of the page:

frame_bled_through.thumb.jpg.684310eee151f5f88da64584e40991f1.jpg

So, the question is... is it worth submitting? I think (still) yes as it's still ASM 40, but would this received the green 'Qualified' label? Pretty sure it's not a restoration so that's out. But found an old post listing some items that would fall under the Qualified but doesn't look like any of those categories would fit. So would this be a blue label? And how much would it affect the grade? I have other pictures of the other sections but they're all similar to these colorings.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by HerculoidZok

Thanks dfx1! I'll try that section (wasn't sure what was meant by 'spare a grade').

On a different note (of researching info), was able to determine my copy of X-Men 272 is a manufacturing error and even though there are 7 other copies with this error, the grade will be a "Qualified" no matter what (i.e. 'Category 4"). 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/201549-an-in-depth-comparison-of-green-label-and-blue-label-grading/

Forgive the n00bness!

Edited by HerculoidZok

6 hours ago, HerculoidZok said:

Hello,

Fairly new to slabbing and these boards, but figured to go start with my 25+ year old collection. And wanted to ask the good people here what to expect if submitting an issue with some interior and exterior markings? What experiences have you come across? 

Context: I was checking out 2 copies of ASM 40 and noticed some pages had some parts colored in. Here are some examples:

Originally as printed:

frame_original.thumb.jpg.2d9b311e47c2deeb70e79e1f6812bff8.jpg

But noticed the other copy had this (eyes and lips are colored in):

frame_marked.thumb.jpg.2b504b3669d95648ac65328d2dadcd16.jpg

But it's not just this section. There are some other sections and the back has some underlined words (looks like the same marker). The above coloring also bled through to the advertisement on the other side of the page:

frame_bled_through.thumb.jpg.684310eee151f5f88da64584e40991f1.jpg

So, the question is... is it worth submitting? I think (still) yes as it's still ASM 40, but would this received the green 'Qualified' label? Pretty sure it's not a restoration so that's out. But found an old post listing some items that would fall under the Qualified but doesn't look like any of those categories would fit. So would this be a blue label? And how much would it affect the grade? I have other pictures of the other sections but they're all similar to these colorings.

Thanks for reading!

It won't get Qualified label (or restored). You'd get a blue label.  The grade will be reflective of the amount of coloring done to the book.  Sounds like there's multiple instances of it (based on your post).  On the pages you posted, you can clearly see the bleed thru (which hurts it even further).  I'd just keep it raw.  CGC will probably hit it pretty hard.