• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I humbly accept defeat

27 posts in this topic

Yes ladies and gentlemen, I have suffered defeat at the hands of Chrisco, who correctly wagered that FF would not do 70 million. Chrisco, you're the man! I, however am not and will be making a 25.00 donation to Actor. I think it is a slam dunk that it won't hit 100 after next week so I will concede defeat. Does anyone know if Actor will be in San Diego?

To me B. B. is not a popcorn flick.

F.F. is.

So F.F. should eclipse B.B. in sales totals, just on the kid factor alone.

Not based on either movies merit. But kid appeal.

I personally look foward to seeing BOTH of them.

On DVD.

Afterall any comic book movie is still a comic book movie, right?

While I am picky, I do realize I cannot be choosey.

The thing we seem to forget is, every movie ever made is not great, nor is every comic book movie great. But if a few comic book movies reach that goal of halfway ok.. then are we all not winners in the end?

Would we rather see NO comic book movies made?

So DD, Hulk, etc..etc.. were not up, to snuff. I am still glad the material got exposure. I could rant all day about how and why each movie was wrong.

I guess the next topic should be is.

"Are comic book movies helping or hurting the hobby?"

Ze-

Yes ladies and gentlemen, I have suffered defeat at the hands of Chrisco, who correctly wagered that FF would not do 70 million. Chrisco, you're the man! I, however am not and will be making a 25.00 donation to Actor. I think it is a slam dunk that it won't hit 100 after next week so I will concede defeat. Does anyone know if Actor will be in San Diego?

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Actually, the movie did much better than I thought it would.

I'm sure ACTOR will be in SD.

Kudos to you for being stand-up, K! thumbsup2.gif

While I'm in agreement that a lot of kids will drag their parents back over and over to see FF, I'm not convinced FF will be able to catch up with Batman by the end of the summer. The flying rodent has done pretty will in the weeks subsequent to its release, and the gap may be too much to overcome.

"We saw the fantastic four movie...which was not so great." - daughters of Red Hook.

What I keep hearing is lukewarm at best word-of-mouth. I would expect a big drop off in ticket sales over the next couple of weeks. The FF Movie has already jumped the shark as far as receipts, sorry to say.

Red

Anna and I went to see the FF on Saturday and thought it was a very good movie. I dont see where the nay-sayers are getting their bad opinions of the movie from. To me, i liked this one as much or better than any of the other Marvel movies ive seen (and ive seen them all with the excpetion of Hulk, Elektra, and Punisher)

With it's opening bow of 56 million, a profit AND a sequel are all but assured. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Why is this automatically good news? I'd rather see some original action flicks than another limp FF movie. No matter what excuses and platitudes fans use, the movie was NOT very good, and I will not be in line for a sequel.

I realize this is a comic book forum, and most people are totally biased, but are there not some movie fans as well?

With it's opening bow of 56 million, a profit AND a sequel are all but assured. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Why is this automatically good news? I'd rather see some original action flicks than another limp FF movie. No matter what excuses and platitudes fans use, the movie was NOT very good, and I will not be in line for a sequel.

I realize this is a comic book forum, and most people are totally biased, but are there not some movie fans as well?

Are you still waiting on Rambo IV to be made? 27_laughing.gif

Is that supposed to be funny? What about "original action flicks" was so difficult to understand?

But again, this is a comic book forum, so I should not expect rational discourse on the quality of any Marvel adaptation.

Did you even see the movie? From your posts of last week, it sounded as if you were going to wait for the DVD or some such. Lots of people, HERE ON A COMIC BOOK MESSAGE BOARD, like the FF and would like to see ANOTHER FF movie.

Or are we actually on an 'original action flick' message board? makepoint.gif

Until you actually see the movie, you should save you mal-formed opinions! No one wants to hear you opine about which you know not, thank you very much! !

Why is this automatically good news? I'd rather see some original...

okay, right there you lost about 99% of hollywood executives. studios are like stockbrokers, only with about a thousand times more risk-aversion sensitivities. it's hard enough to make films; it's practically a miracle any time one gets made, and they are expensive, so you can't quite blame them.

but as far as 'originality' is concerned, you can find it but it sure ain't gonna be plentiful. producers want the "built in audience" factor. a sequel of a comic book is built in audience nirvana to these people. they also want it to appeal to the widest audience possible, which of course means it almost has to be stupid. it's a win-win if you look at it the right way

Batman Begins did just over $48 Million on it's opening weekend, and then over $27 million in it's second weekend.

It will be very tough for FF to make $27 million it's opening weekend.

Most every new opening has a stronger Saturday than Friday and then Sunday is usually about the same reciepts as Friday.

FF's Saturday was slightly down compared to Friday and then it's Sunday was off by 30% as compared to Friday. While some might be attributed to the bad weather in parts of the USA, not enough to account for the 30% drop.

Batman Begins will end up outgrossing FF theatrically both in the US and in International markets (especially areas where FF's humor might not translate so well).

But of course, it will be the DVD sales that will be the ultimate test of profitability.

Is that supposed to be funny? What about "original action flicks" was so difficult to understand?

But again, this is a comic book forum, so I should not expect rational discourse on the quality of any Marvel adaptation.

Although I do agree that the first FF movie was somewhat sub-par, I'm sure it'll get better with the sequel. I didn't like X-Men #1 very much either, but part 2 was much much better.

While I'm in agreement that a lot of kids will drag their parents back over and over to see FF, I'm not convinced FF will be able to catch up with Batman by the end of the summer. The flying rodent has done pretty will in the weeks subsequent to its release, and the gap may be too much to overcome.

Jive.. you are correct sir...It appears I was speaking out the side of my neck. I had no idea Bats had grossed $172 million when I wrote that. For some reason even though it was a well reviewed movie, I assumed the dark, adult themed nature of B.B. would translate to poor box office numbers.

Looks like I was off on that assumption.

Go Batty!

On the flip side, I imagine F.F. would be thrilled to pull in $150 mil by next month.

Would that even cover how much they spent on that media blitz of an add campaign?

Ze-

And Woogs.. Funny post bro. Funny , funny, funny 893applaud-thumb.gif