• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Minor Key Comics

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am am new to comics and picked up a box of 100 books from someone late last night. I am not a typical collector, more of a flipper. I got it because even with my little knowledge I know the Hulk 271 in the collection was worth the cost for all of them. majority of the comics were 60s-80s and mainstream movie characters (avengers, captain marvel, cage, etc). While searching them I also found Action Comics 683 and Iron Man 219. 

Would these two be worth grading along with the Hulk? Or should I just hold onto them as is.

If you look on the CGC website, you can calculate how much it costs to get a comic graded.  Make sure you include shipping and insurance (back and forth) in your calculation.  Also include your the opportunity cost of tying up your money.

To see how much you can sell it for, there's a service called GPA analysis for which you can subscribe (there's a fee) to see history of sales for CGC graded comics.

For a more general look, you can see 'sold' prices by running searches on ebay.  If/when you sell, make sure you include all the fees and your time/effort of selling.

Make sure you grade as accurately as possible (and probably be conservative) when making your estimates. 

After that, do your own math with your own preferences weighed in your calculations.  But the short answer is:  It depends on the grades of the comics, and your own preferences.  Good luck.

Hope this helps...

Action Comics 683 - 1st Doomsday (Cameo)

Overstreet (2016) NM $3.00, MCS - Asking $6.00 for FN 6.0, eBay No Current Sold Listings, two raw copies currently up for auction with starting bids at $.50 and $1.00, currently no bids.

Iron Man 219 - Intro The Ghost

Overstreet (2016) NM $4.00 , MCS - Two graded consignment books, they do not count because sellers can ask whatever they want, eBay Sold Listings (more than 10 bidders) $23.00 - $31.00 Raw NM + 9.6, There were no graded books that had more than 1 to 2 bidders so they are not a true representation, however just for giggles they sold for $21.00, $30.00, $36.00, $50.00 (VF+ 8.5 - NM 9.4) and a NM+ 9.6 sold for $104.00 with only one bidder and best offer accepted.