• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
4 4

521 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Compare some some DC characters who've made their first on-screen-appearances (although there's a few I'm not mentioning for obvious reasons lol) ~

1. Black Lightning #1 is still absolutely affordable (VF/NM going for $60-100).
  2. Most of the characters in the Arrowverse TV show are still affordable (apart from perhaps the Golden Age characters).
  3. Stargirl may be the exception, though the show isn't even out yet.
  4. Tales of the Teen Titans #44 (WTF?)
  5. DC Comics Presents #26 (WTF?)
  6. Preacher #1 (the book actually depreciated since the "uninspiring" show - although I'm VERY thankful I managed to get Dillon's signature when I did).
  7. Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey #1 (NM's going for less than $80)
  8. Superboy #9 (going for less than $20 in some cases NM)
  9. Most of the GL Corps' members.
  10. Superman: The Man of Steel #18.
  11. Detective Comics 585 (very shocking)
  12. Legends #1 (going as low as $5 in NM)
  13. Batman #181 (need I say anymore?)

True, they have but still not as expensive as some Marvel comics - but one of my contentions is that a great many of Marvel's 60-70s produce is insanely expensive - but I agree, Marvel had the quantity specifically relating to characters, whereas DC may have surpassed them in story produce. But my other point is that they've not increased as much as they should - or at least, when I conflate it with some Marvel books.

DC destroys marvel in value. Majority of most expensive comics ever sold are dc. Not even close. They have gone up plenty. From tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands to even millions is a nice jump in value. If you haven't been collecting for 30 plus years or aren't rich you won't pay much attention to them. 

But yes dc c and d list characters 1st appearances haven't skyrocketed in value. I will go out on the limb and tell you star girl will not be the exception.

Edited by Myowncollector
Add more

19 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

DC destroys marvel in value. Majority of most expensive comics ever sold are dc. Not even close. They have gone up plenty. From tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands to even millions is a nice jump in value. If you haven't been collecting for 30 plus years or aren't rich you won't pay much attention to them. 

But yes dc c and d list characters 1st appearances haven't skyrocketed in value. I will go out on the limb and tell you star girl will not be the exception.

You're right, though I hasten to add that I conflated all of this based on 1st appearances and the MCU and DCEU alike, for example ~

True, Stargirl won't be the exception - but, it's still interesting that the 1st full appearance of Batwoman - to whom got her very own show, albeit a rather controversial one within the political-spectrum - in 9.8 is less than the value of Stargirl's equivalent. 

54 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

A lot of the big players in the DCU came out in the golden and silver age so it's a lot harder to those who primarily stock up on movie books to attain those.. while Marvel has many silver bronze and copper character first appearances that are more plentiful to attain -- whom of which have been used in the movies.. there's members of the justice league that should skyrocket but haven't due to lack of screen time.. yet C and D list characters who have been in the Marvel movies have... for instance Crossbones first app really skyrocketed from a $5-10 book when Civil War came out

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 8:55 PM, silversufer27 said:

Asm 300 is not that affordable lol there’s no way you can find a mid grade for 200 which is insane maybe affordable on high grades sometimes but idk

If you cannot afford $200 for a mid-grade 'key', then you shouldn't be collecting 'keys'.  Honestly, the term 'key' has become so diluted over the past few decades that it's lost all meaning.  And no, I do not consider ASM 300 a key.

7 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Compare some some DC characters who've made their first on-screen-appearances (although there's a few I'm not mentioning for obvious reasons lol) ~

1. Black Lightning #1 is still absolutely affordable (VF/NM going for $60-100).
  2. Most of the characters in the Arrowverse TV show are still affordable (apart from perhaps the Golden Age characters).
  3. Stargirl may be the exception, though the show isn't even out yet.
  4. Tales of the Teen Titans #44 (WTF?)
  5. DC Comics Presents #26 (WTF?)
  6. Preacher #1 (the book actually depreciated since the "uninspiring" show - although I'm VERY thankful I managed to get Dillon's signature when I did).
  7. Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey #1 (NM's going for less than $80)
  8. Superboy #9 (going for less than $20 in some cases NM)
  9. Most of the GL Corps' members.
  10. Superman: The Man of Steel #18.
  11. Detective Comics 585 (very shocking)
  12. Legends #1 (going as low as $5 in NM)
  13. Batman #181 (need I say anymore?)

True, they have but still not as expensive as some Marvel comics - but one of my contentions is that a great many of Marvel's 60-70s produce is insanely expensive - but I agree, Marvel had the quantity specifically relating to characters, whereas DC may have surpassed them in story produce. But my other point is that they've not increased as much as they should - or at least, when I conflate it with some Marvel books.

Bart Allen, compare them to what, exactly?  to similar characters introduced in the Marvel Universe at roughly the same time?

5 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

If you cannot afford $200 for a mid-grade 'key', then you shouldn't be collecting 'keys'.  Honestly, the term 'key' has become so diluted over the past few decades that it's lost all meaning.  And no, I do not consider ASM 300 a key.

How is it not a key lol venom is probably the most popular Spider-Man villain 

25 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Bart Allen, compare them to what, exactly?  to similar characters introduced in the Marvel Universe at roughly the same time?

Exactly, within, lets say, the span of 10 years ~

I utterly cannot fathom the current prices for either Tales of the Teen Titans #44 and DC Comics Presents #26 - the former of which is almost as undervalued as Marvel's Rogue's first appearance.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Which is far less significant than the 1st appearance of Spidey or the xmen or the FF

Yea but it’s a newer comic lol venom wouldn’t work in the silver age and even if it did the comic would be wayyy more money maybe one of the most expensive comics ever 

50 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

Yea but it’s a newer comic lol venom wouldn’t work in the silver age and even if it did the comic would be wayyy more money maybe one of the most expensive comics ever 

I love ASM 300.  In fact, I have dozens of copies, but it is *NOT* a key.

9 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

You're right, though I hasten to add that I conflated all of this based on 1st appearances and the MCU and DCEU alike, for example ~

True, Stargirl won't be the exception - but, it's still interesting that the 1st full appearance of Batwoman - to whom got her very own show, albeit a rather controversial one within the political-spectrum - in 9.8 is less than the value of Stargirl's equivalent. 

Just a female batman not too exciting, why would it command a lot of $. How many batwoman girls are there now and what one is on the show? The original or one of the knock offs? Doesn't one have a free comic book day 1st appearance. For 60 years very few people cared about star man, so they aren't going to go nuts about star girl. I am surprised it has any value, that books been in dollar bins since it came out. Will have to see if it is worth digging through endless long boxes, I know I have some.

It is crazy they haven't created a a list character in 70 years but they had such a stable if them they didn't have to.

9 hours ago, littledoom said:

A lot of the big players in the DCU came out in the golden and silver age so it's a lot harder to those who primarily stock up on movie books to attain those.. while Marvel has many silver bronze and copper character first appearances that are more plentiful to attain -- whom of which have been used in the movies.. there's members of the justice league that should skyrocket but haven't due to lack of screen time.. yet C and D list characters who have been in the Marvel movies have... for instance Crossbones first app really skyrocketed from a $5-10 book when Civil War came out

Same for dc. Birds of prey, new gods 7, abomination, suicide squad garbage all went up then plummeted. Marvel same, whiplash, mandarin. Just marvel has way more tv shows and movies. It was mcu, fox and sony vs wb.

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Which is far less significant than the 1st appearance of Spidey or the xmen or the FF

I will put your spin on things. Spiderman ff xmen are not as significant as superman batman wonder woman justice league. And they are a lot newer comics.

Spiderman? All ready had a spider woman in golden age. X-MEN? Doom patrol knock off. FF? 1st Appearance of another invisible woman, marvels 1st Appearance of plastic man knock off. 1st thing is all it is. 

9 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

I will put your spin on things. Spiderman ff xmen are not as significant as superman batman wonder woman justice league. And they are a lot newer comics.

Spiderman? All ready had a spider woman in golden age. X-MEN? Doom patrol knock off. FF? 1st Appearance of another invisible woman, marvels 1st Appearance of plastic man knock off. 1st thing is all it is. 

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman...the DC Trinity, all had their start in the Golden Age.  By comparison, Marvel had Captain America, Subby and the Human Torch.  So, yes, DC's Golden Age established more significant characters than Marvel's.

However, for Silver Age, its not even close and you know it.