• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

My entire point as to why IM 55 is an affordable 'key' comic, as I stated if Thanos first appearance came in ASM it would be priced around IH 181 in equal grade

Iron Man 55 isn't really that affordable to begin with.  While there are certain outliers, villain books usually don't command the same premium as hero first appearances.  I don't think you are taking into account that Thanos didn't appear until 1973 while the Spiderman villains I believe you are referring to appeared around 10 years earlier AND were on the cover.  There is no comparison to be made here.

4 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Iron Man 55 isn't really that affordable to begin with.  While there are certain outliers, villain books usually don't command the same premium as hero first appearances.  I don't think you are taking into account that Thanos didn't appear until 1973 while the Spiderman villains I believe you are referring to appeared around 10 years earlier AND were on the cover.  There is no comparison to be made here.

and he wasnt even the main 1st appearance in the comic

22 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Kingpin was not on the cover of Amazing Spider-Man 50...

But there are several more factors to take into account as to why ASM 50 is waaaaay more valuable then IM 55

1.Age (6 year difference silver/bronze)

2. Origin story retold

3. Iconic cover

But Thanos is more well known then the Kingpin in today's climate...if the Kingpin had appeared in Daredevil (at the same time)instead of Amazing Spider-Man do you think the valuation would be the same? 

I agree with you regarding super heroes and villains in terms of valuation, I also agree that IM 55 is valued appropriately, it's also hard to argue that ASM 129 9.8 which is about double the value of IM 55 is less of a iconic book then IM 55 because it isn't as Punisher like Wolverine are both Superheroes and are both more renowned then Thanos but those two books are in the same 'age'. But we can take ASM 101 into account, first appearance of Morbius and yes Morbius is on the cover, but Thanos is more known then him and yet 2× more valuable then IM 55. Are you saying the book would be more valuable had Thanos been on the cover?

There are several factors to take into account, but all I'm saying is Ironman 55 is an affordable key...

And what is affordable to you?

Edited by Hollywood1892

9 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Kingpin was not on the cover of Amazing Spider-Man 50...

But there are several more factors to take into account as to why ASM 50 is waaaaay more valuable then IM 55

1.Age (6 year difference silver/bronze)

2. Origin story retold

3. Iconic cover

But Thanos is more well known then the Kingpin in today's climate...if the Kingpin had appeared in Daredevil (at the same time)instead of Amazing Spider-Man do you think the valuation would be the same? 

I agree with you regarding super heroes and villains in terms of valuation, I also agree that IM 55 is valued appropriately, it's also hard to argue that ASM 129 9.8 which is about double the value of IM 55 is less of a iconic book then IM 55 because it isn't as Punisher like Wolverine are both Superheroes and are both more renowned then Thanos but those two books are in the same 'age'. But we can take ASM 101 into account, first appearance of Morbius and yes Morbius is on the cover, but Thanos is more known then him and yet 2× more valuable then IM 55. Are you saying the book would be more valuable had Thanos been on the cover?

There are several factors to take into account, but all I'm saying is Ironman 55 is an affordable key...

And what is affordable to you?

it depends sometimes iron man 55 is overpriced and sometimes is underpriced I would say It should be a little more expensive but iron man 55 is mostly just drax's 1st appearance 

2 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

it depends sometimes iron man 55 is overpriced and sometimes is underpriced I would say It should be a little more expensive but iron man 55 is mostly just drax's 1st appearance 

Agreed

Sometimes first appearances/cameos/first fulls can be confusing ie Darkseids cameo which is like one panel on a TV screen is much more valuable then his first full appearance (also that has alot to do with age as well and artist/storyteller) as you see with ASM 50 being Stan Lee and John Romita Sr

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Agreed

Sometimes first appearances/cameos/first fulls can be confusing ie Darkseids cameo which is like one panel on a TV screen is much more valuable then his first full appearance (also that has alot to do with age as well and artist/storyteller) as you see with ASM 50 being Stan Lee and John Romita Sr

i think after endgame prices for iron man 55 have been mixed sometimes I see a mid grade for like 100 sometimes its 400 dollars its just really random im happy I got a low grade for 30 bucks 2 months after endgame 

4 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

i think after endgame prices for iron man 55 have been mixed sometimes I see a mid grade for like 100 sometimes its 400 dollars its just really random im happy I got a low grade for 30 bucks 2 months after endgame 

For sure!

14 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

its the 1st thanos and you have no idea plus its just a weird cover for iron man

Haha I was just playing around. I've got the book myself. I don't think anybody is excited about those Blood Brothers taking up the cover. 

I reread Avengers Annual 10 this weekend and I don't remember it being so dark and gritty.  The cover still sucks but I'd say it's some of the most impressive Rouge character art I have seen.  And the Ms Marvel Stuff at the end was just so raw and almost painful to read.  Much better read then i remember as a teen.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I reread Avengers Annual 10 this weekend and I don't remember it being so dark and gritty.  The cover still sucks but I'd say it's some of the most impressive Rouge character art I have seen.  And the Ms Marvel Stuff at the end was just so raw and almost painful to read.  Much better read then i remember as a teen.

I actually like the cover lol idk why but yea it was much better rereading

Let's add dc presents 26 and x-men 244. I am starting to think terrible covers keep the value down. I like the stories in these but covers make me not care about them. 

Iron 55 can come down a little more and be a good value. A lot of 1st appearances in it. That cover though, they have all those people and they choose the green vision and blood brothers for the cover. Yikes.