• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reslab after 7 years???

will you reslab your books after 7yrs?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. will you reslab your books after 7yrs?

27 posts in this topic

I buy slabbed books and submit books for slabbing not for myself to sell but maybe for my 8 yr old son to sell when he is 25-30 yrs old! you gotta problem with that bub poke2.gif

In that case my question would be...If you are intent on selling them why bother reslabbing them?

The grade on the label is the only important part. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1)I am interested in what other collectors/investors are doing about the "recommended" 7 yr reslab. "knowledge is power"

2)I never said I was gonna reslab after 7 yrs

3)I personally only collect HG books 8.5 or better so the label is important when I do buy a slabbed book, but so is finishing a run or the quality of the cover art

check the ASK CGC FORUM gemma say this "We recommend that you have your comics re-encapsulated about every 7 years so that the micro-chamber paper can be changed to keep it at peak effectiveness."

Most of my high end books have the old label and were probably slabbed at least 4 years ago. However, I won't submit any of them for reslabbing unless the market dictates it. If 10-years from now I decide to sell my collection, then I'll base my decision on what the market says. If the old label books are selling as well as their new label counterparts, then I won't reslab them. Otherwise, if spending $11 (plus insurance) to have a book reslabbed would gain me an additional 30% return, then I'll do it.

A couple of months ago I asked CGC whether the microchamber paper is changed every time a book is reslabbed (for instance if the outer shell is cracked). Their response was that the microchamber paper will only be replaced if 7 years or so have passed. Therefore, unless the new label books were completely regraded, they probably still have the old microchamber paper.

Another question that went unanswered was what if in 10-years I decide to reslab my entire collection. Would CGC make it mandatory to have the book completely regraded since I missed the 7 year deadline, or would they be willing to gamble that even though the microchamber has lost its effectiveness, the book is still in it's original grade. I just can't see CGC reslabbing a 15-year encapsulated book, and giving it the same grade, while not checking the interior to determine whether the book has aged over time or not.

I remember telling my dad "buy that copy of batman #1 it's only $2000.00

If I had ever told my dad that, I would've gotten the back of his hand!

if it makes you feel any better my dad told me I was f#@& crazy makepoint.gif

I pretty much had to hide the fact that I was buying comic books with my dad's hard earned money. When he came home, I would hide the bulk of the new books I had purchased, and only display a couple here or there. He never yelled at me or anything, but would throw a couple of digs making me feel like I was wasting money. Even to this day, he's only interested when I mention how much I sold a book for. For instance, he'll say why don't you sell the books with good looking girls on the cover, since people would want them more. smile.gif

On the other hand, my mom was fully supportive of my collecting habbits, and would buy me comics every chance she got. She used to tell me that I'd rather see you sitting home and reading comic books, than hanging out with your no good high school friends. In a way, she was right.

My mom was the same way, only she liked me reading comics because she knew it would lead to more substantial material. She was right, I got my bachelors degree in literature and I have been reading a book a week since high school. It just goes to show that getting kids hooked on reading is FAR more important than forcing them to read the "right" books.

My dad collected baseball cards VERY seriously during my childhood, so he had no room to cast aspersions when I brought home a few comics. Every time he looks askance at me now, I tell him my current collecting obsession is his fault. wink.gif

Most of my high end books have the old label and were probably slabbed at least 4 years ago. However, I won't submit any of them for reslabbing unless the market dictates it. If 10-years from now I decide to sell my collection, then I'll base my decision on what the market says. If the old label books are selling as well as their new label counterparts, then I won't reslab them. Otherwise, if spending $11 (plus insurance) to have a book reslabbed would gain me an additional 30% return, then I'll do it.

A couple of months ago I asked CGC whether the microchamber paper is changed every time a book is reslabbed (for instance if the outer shell is cracked). Their response was that the microchamber paper will only be replaced if 7 years or so have passed. Therefore, unless the new label books were completely regraded, they probably still have the old microchamber paper.

Another question that went unanswered was what if in 10-years I decide to reslab my entire collection. Would CGC make it mandatory to have the book completely regraded since I missed the 7 year deadline, or would they be willing to gamble that even though the microchamber has lost its effectiveness, the book is still in it's original grade. I just can't see CGC reslabbing a 15-year encapsulated book, and giving it the same grade, while not checking the interior to determine whether the book has aged over time or not.

good points who knows maybe CGC does not have a policy in place yet? they have only been in business for 5yrs! If in two years they put out a press release saying that all book slabbed during that time peroid will have to regraded what them do we all crack our slabs and leave them in mylars and only slab to sell confused-smiley-013.gif

Sounds like you have already made up your mind and are not interested in the opinions of others. confused-smiley-013.gif

I am fully aware of what CGC 'recommend', but don't forget, they are the only people that would really benefit if collectors started reslabbing every 7 years. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sounds like you have already made up your mind and are not interested in the opinions of others. confused-smiley-013.gif

I am fully aware of what CGC 'recommend', but don't forget, they are the only people that would really benefit if collectors started reslabbing every 7 years. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I 100% agree with you CGC would be the only one's to benefit from reslabbing

thumbsup2.gif and I do agree with you 100% that shang chi would win in a bloodsport fight against batman

Is that better yay.gif yipeeeeeee flowerred.gif

I 100% agree with you CGC would be the only one's to benefit from reslabbing

thumbsup2.gif and I do agree with you 100% that shang chi would win in a bloodsport fight against batman

Is that better yay.gif yipeeeeeee flowerred.gif

thumbsup2.giftongue.gif