• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reslab after 7 years???

will you reslab your books after 7yrs?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. will you reslab your books after 7yrs?

27 posts in this topic

I voted no, not because i dont want to make CGC any richer, but because I dont think that it is necessary at all to do it.

I voted no too...but also not as a slam at CGC policy just that it currently does not seem necessary for me. My slabs are worth less than a couple 100 each, not thousands of bucks, so currently not worth the loss of dollars to me. Now after storing them for 7 years and then trying to sell old slabs, my thoughts of re-slabbing will be based on the 7 additional years of continued data about slabs and the "then" mindset of the comic collectors. There's bound to be continued changes to the design and layout of CGC slabs and I''ll do like most everyone else would, i.e. whichever slab (2005 or 2012) brings in the most cash...........if any. crazy.gif

cool! the pool was just an informal way to get a feel of what other collectors think about the the 7 yr reslab recommendation. I think a comic will be just as good coming out off a slab thats 12-13 yrs old as opposed to a slab thats 5-6 yrs old.

too true alot of "high grade only" collectors might want the older slabs because of the "perception" that alot of the new high graded books are just resubmitted presses.

who knows maybe slabbed books from a certain peroid will be less desirable like those with PLOD.

cool! the pool was just an informal way to get a feel of what other collectors think about the the 7 yr reslab recommendation. I think a comic will be just as good coming out off a slab thats 12-13 yrs old as opposed to a slab thats 5-6 yrs old.

As far as I am aware there has been no official 'recommendation' to reslab after 7 years.

The whole seven year thing relates to the fact that the microchamber paper will become ineffective after this approximate period of time. There is absolutely no need to reslab your books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As far as I am aware there has been no official 'recommendation' to reslab after 7 years.

The whole seven year thing relates to the fact that the microchamber paper will become ineffective after this approximate period of time. There is absolutely no need to reslab your books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yes I know there is nothing official but I was interested what other collectors who buy slabbed book would be thinking on the subject. For myself if I owned action comics #1 in 9.4 I would get it slabbed every 7 yrs if it means it would retain it's grade hell I would get slabbed every year if need be! but would I reslab my copy of tarzan #207 9.4 every 7 yrs confused-smiley-013.gif

yes I know there is nothing official but I was interested what other collectors who buy slabbed book would be thinking on the subject. For myself if I owned action comics #1 in 9.4 I would get it slabbed every 7 yrs if it means it would retain it's grade hell I would get slabbed every year if need be! but would I reslab my copy of tarzan #207 9.4 every 7 yrs confused-smiley-013.gif

Why would you even bother to slab in the first place if you are keeping the book long term? If it is just sitting in your own collection the book is probably better off in Mylar. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

is slabbing only a tool to sell your books or is it also a tool to preserve them! I don't know about you but when I was younger I used to have hockey cards thousands of hockey cards (i'm canadian so it's kinda a law out here) and myself and friends would play games with the cards and the cards would get damaged and destroyed. Now if I had kept those cards they would be worth thousands themselves even at 5-10 bucks a card. I buy slabbed books and submit books for slabbing not for myself to sell but maybe for my 8 yr old son to sell when he is 25-30 yrs old! you gotta problem with that bub poke2.gif

"far-see's, knock downs, top's",. Ah yes the glory days of youth when one day I carted hundreds of hockey cards home, enough to fill an adidas bag, from the spoils of victory.

sometimes I look at my card guide and cry frown.gif I think we as collectors get short sighted and buy "ho"t books because everybody else is or put aside good collecting/investing opertunities because we don't see the long term! I remember telling my dad "buy that copy of batman #1 it's only $2000.00 it will be worth more later" while I was telling my brother put that marvel spotlight #5 back in the dollar bin it will never be worth anything foreheadslap.gif

I buy slabbed books and submit books for slabbing not for myself to sell but maybe for my 8 yr old son to sell when he is 25-30 yrs old! you gotta problem with that bub poke2.gif

In that case my question would be...If you are intent on selling them why bother reslabbing them?

The grade on the label is the only important part. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The grade on the label is the only important part. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There's some truth to this. Unless someone produces definitive proof in a few years' time that the books will decay significantly faster if they're not reslabbed, I can't see myself reslabbing any of my books anytime in the next decade or so.

I remember telling my dad "buy that copy of batman #1 it's only $2000.00

If I had ever told my dad that, I would've gotten the back of his hand!

if it makes you feel any better my dad told me I was f#@& crazy makepoint.gif

I remember telling my dad "buy that copy of batman #1 it's only $2000.00

If I had ever told my dad that, I would've gotten the back of his hand!

if it makes you feel any better my dad told me I was f#@& crazy makepoint.gif

I pretty much had to hide the fact that I was buying comic books with my dad's hard earned money. When he came home, I would hide the bulk of the new books I had purchased, and only display a couple here or there. He never yelled at me or anything, but would throw a couple of digs making me feel like I was wasting money. Even to this day, he's only interested when I mention how much I sold a book for. For instance, he'll say why don't you sell the books with good looking girls on the cover, since people would want them more. smile.gif

On the other hand, my mom was fully supportive of my collecting habbits, and would buy me comics every chance she got. She used to tell me that I'd rather see you sitting home and reading comic books, than hanging out with your no good high school friends. In a way, she was right.