• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading polybagged comics?

21 posts in this topic

After reading some pages on grading comics, I now have the question of how to grade polybagged comics? I have a few:

- Adventures of Superman 500

- X-Force 1

- Barbie 1

- Barbie Fashion 1

- Darkhawk Annual 2

The Superman has an opaque bag, so you can't even see the comic inside? Does a comic in such a bag get an automatic grade when it's still sealed in the original bag? Do you grade the condition of the bag itself?

And what about those in clear bags? Do you grade based on what you can see and leave it at that?

PS - Don't laugh about the Barbie comics...Comicspriceguide.com puts them both in the $15.00 range at a decent grade.

CGc removes the comic from the bag and grades the book only. All else is discarded including any contents.

So if you want to keep any of the contents, then you should remove them before submitting.

So, you're saying a bagged comic cannot have a grade? I'm not thinking of sending any of these in, I was just curious how I'd go about grading such a comic, solely for my own knowledge.

You can't grade a polybagged comic.

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Now, what about value? Let's say you have a polybagged copy of a comic. It's grade would likely be VF or NM since it's been stored well and obviously hasn't been touched since it was bagged. How would the value of that comic compare to one that was removed from the bag, but was officially graded as VF or NM?

The bag is irrelevant to the price/value/condition of a comic.

So a comic that has been removed form the bag is comparable to another of the same condition. It's value is not lessened because it was removed from the bag.

Nowadays, I don't think there are any collectors who place a premium for books just because they are bagged. It's more the condition of the book.

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Now, what about value? Let's say you have a polybagged copy of a comic. It's grade would likely be VF or NM since it's been stored well and obviously hasn't been touched since it was bagged. How would the value of that comic compare to one that was removed from the bag, but was officially graded as VF or NM?

I can't think of any polybagged comic that is actually worth more than a few dollars. Those were some of the most overproduced comics in history and there is relatively little demand for them in light of the huge supply.

Most people don't care about the polybags. A few people do, but those (in my experience) tend to be the least sophisticated collectors who are only concerned about polybags because they are afraid that everyone else is going to care about them some day.

There is no hard and fast rule. If you send the book to CGC though, they will only grade the book if it is out of the polybag, and I don't think they return the polybag to you when they're done. It is considered part of the packaging, not part of the book itself.

I agree with everything you said FBB but want to add, if the comic came with a card inside the poly bag you can have CGC insert the card in the holder wherever you want it. i.e. front, back or inside the comic.

In fact, it is highly likely that the books still inside the bags, have suffered greater damage than if they had been removed immediately upon purchase and stored properly sumo.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Good posts guys. Thanks for helping a newb out on this topic. It's good to know that the bag itself is not considered in valuation or grading, but since I really have no plans on getting a CGC grade on any of these comics, I'll just leave 'em in the bags for the time being, since it can't do any harm.

Good posts guys. Thanks for helping a newb out on this topic. It's good to know that the bag itself is not considered in valuation or grading, but since I really have no plans on getting a CGC grade on any of these comics, I'll just leave 'em in the bags for the time being, since it can't do any harm.

Uh, well actually it can (see above). The bags provide no real protection to your books - they should be put into Mylar sleeves with buffered backboards. blush.gif

Actually it can do harm to your books. The bag is not of a safe material and will deteriorate your book over time. The most ideal thing is to remove the book from the bag and place it into a safer container (i.e. archive bag/board)

I'll just leave 'em in the bags for the time being, since it can't do any harm.

Don't be so sure. The polybags are not made of archival materials and may actually hasten the breakdown of the comics.

ha! It's almost as if you can sense when a comic is in harms way and you swoop in to the rescue.

you get my thanks, yet again. I'm picking up some bags & boards today so I'll unbag these comics and give them a safer home.

what about the marvel multi mags from the 60's & 70's or the DC multi packs has anybody had first hand experiance with the overall gereral condition of books that came from that time period, PQ and what not how have they faired?

PS - Don't laugh about the Barbie comics...Comicspriceguide.com puts them both in the $15.00 range at a decent grade.
I'm not laughing about the barbie comics. I collect them for my daughter. She also likes powerpuff girls and Betty & Veronica. Don't let the 90% super hero crowd (which I am also part of) fool you. There are lots of eclectic collectors here.

I'm more likely to laugh at the Darkhawk than I am at Barbie.

I had great hopes for Darkhawk... one of my few speculator choices. tongue.gif

Welcome to the boards. thumbsup2.gif

Heh. It's been about 10 years since I've bought a comic, and only in the last few weeks has my interest been rekindled, hence pulling my comics from my closet and going through them again.

I don't even know the what, why or how of it, but I have multiple copies of the first four Darkhawk comics, along with two copies of the #2 annual.

The Barbie comics were given to me by my grandfather back in the early 90's...91 or 92 i think. He knew that I was into comics and these two showed up at the convience store he owned. They were bagged and came with a card, so he figured they were special and so he gave me a copy of each. Turns out he was more right (as far as eventual value goes) than I would have ever given him credit for.

Now if I can just find a way to create a market for 'Peter Porker as Spider-Ham' comics... tongue.gif

it cracks me up that the white dude at the top of the page isn't even in the book. caveat; iirc and i think i do