• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who remembers Howard Rogofsky?

69 posts in this topic

Back when I was a kid I ordered from Howard's catalog. Action #1 was $50.00, then 75.00, then 100.00 by 1969. I would but books like Superman 18 and Action 35 for 5. to 10 bucks apiece. Those were the days! It may be spelled Rogofski, I can't remember.

The time period for me was1966,67,68,69.No pictures, just a mimeographed 3 or 4 sheet list mailed in an envelope.The books would come sandwiched between cardboard and wrapped in thick brown packing paper That was back before anyone even mention grades, but everthing I ever got from him would be very nice, but then we're talking about 20 to 25 year old comics at that time.

hi.gif

Good ol' Howard ("Tape is not considered a defect") Rogofsky.

I spent a personal record for a single back issue from Howard back in 1979, this copy of Green Lantern #76. It set me back $25. That record was not to be broken until the middle 1980s, when I picked up my first Golden Age book.

701442-glga76_med.jpg

(And yes, I made certain to inquire first whether or not Howard's GL 76 was taped! insane.gif )

Read your bio and you know what? I did the same thing but earlier, after my draft lottery number came up #27. All I can say is at least we had those collections back then and enjoyed them. I remember buying FF1 and Avengers 1 and Spidey 1 right off the newstand.I remember having boxes and boxes of silver age and a few stacks of golden age and if I didn't blow it then by selling I would have screwed it up some other time and some other way.I'm thankfull for those memories and glad I have what I have now.Still, there's nothing like the memory of lounging in your bedroom with a couple of comic book buddies, knee deep in Superboys and GL and JLA and spidey and just geeking out on a rainy day back in the early sixties before life hit the fan.

I say we all retire in 20 years with boxes of comics, and do the same thing. Hang out, babble, drool, and have a good time with our septigenarian buddies!

I'm in to.

I remember Howard and Robert Bell. I bought a X-Men # 1 from Robert Bell for $13.00 in 1970. It was so nice, I immediatly put tape along the inside edges of the front & back cover to keep it that way. foreheadslap.gif

Another old-timer is Marty Hay and Dave Yaruss(sp?). They are still around, saw them at SD Con last three years.

I say we all retire in 20 years with boxes of comics, and do the same thing. Hang out, babble, drool, and have a good time with our septigenarian buddies!

Can I be the junior member? The earliest catalog I sent away for was Lone Star's, maybe very early 1980s? Prices seemed very high to me then...

Marc

I bought a copy of Avengers #1 from HR back around 1966/67 for a cool $5.00. No kidding. Check my bio. It's in there.

Red

I'm about 10 years behind you guys. I started ordering stuff from the mail order guys around 1975-76. If memory serves, I purchased stuff from Rogofsky, Robert Bell, Richard Alf, Comic Sales Group, Max Seeley, Robert Crestohl ( mad.gif) and Discount Comics. Even then everything was cheap, but grade was a crapshoot.

Can those of us who are too young to have experienced this era serve you tea and beer while you peruse boxes of comics?

Man, to own or just hold any of these books would be amazing to me.

Can those of us who are too young to have experienced this era serve you tea and beer while you peruse boxes of comics?

Man, to own or just hold any of these books would be amazing to me.

Maybe 30 years from now people will say that about Spawn #1, so accumulate them while you can! tongue.gif

I also bought a lot of books from Howard in the early 70's.I got Hawkman #1 for $4.He used a different middle initial for each comic company.Howard D or Howard M etc.I was a kid and never thought about my books condition.I should have upgraded .Some of my comics are in pretty tough shape,but the ones I got thru the mail stayed in bags.I found his ads in the CBC.I was sad to see Alan Light passed away a few years ago.Also Robert Bell.

It would've been pretty precocious for me to get into collecting comics in late '71 - at the tender age of 1 month. Alas, I didn't really get into comics until '86, loved what I heard about EC's, but had a heck of a time finding anyplace locally that could show or sell me one - oh, for a few more years' worth of wisdom and resourcefulness back then!