• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Safety deposit box -Anyone use them?

24 posts in this topic

After her husband passed away, I know someone who went to the bank to get the contents of a safety-deposit box with important papers and documents. She and her daughter gave her key to the bank, the bank came back and gave her the safety deposit box in a private room. When the employee left, they opened the box. It was filled with gold bullion. It wasn't theirs. SOMEHOW there was a mix-up and they were given someone else's box. No clue how it happened but it did. They were honest and said they got the wrong box. Bank apologized profusely and got the right box with their documents. If it were other people, someone might have been out a lot of gold. Baffling how it could have happened, though this was kinda rural-ish Kansas. 

On 6/1/2024 at 4:29 PM, jcjames said:

After her husband passed away, I know someone who went to the bank to get the contents of a safety-deposit box with important papers and documents. She and her daughter gave her key to the bank, the bank came back and gave her the safety deposit box in a private room. When the employee left, they opened the box. It was filled with gold bullion. It wasn't theirs. SOMEHOW there was a mix-up and they were given someone else's box. No clue how it happened but it did. They were honest and said they got the wrong box. Bank apologized profusely and got the right box with their documents. If it were other people, someone might have been out a lot of gold. Baffling how it could have happened, though this was kinda rural-ish Kansas. 

sometimes honesty is not the best policy! :)

but seriously, that shouldnt be possible since each box has two unique keys. their box key would never open another persons box. at least thats how it works in normal, larger banks, not in farm country or whatever.

On 6/2/2024 at 7:05 AM, alexgross.com said:

sometimes honesty is not the best policy! :)

but seriously, that shouldnt be possible since each box has two unique keys. their box key would never open another persons box. at least thats how it works in normal, larger banks, not in farm country or whatever.

They can only imagine that there was a mix-up from the very start. Again, it was utterly baffling how but it happened. 

Also reminds me of the time a family member passed away at a young-adult age. When he was buried in the cemetery, his two grieving parents bought and paid for two burial plots for themselves, one on each side of him. About 10 years later they were shocked to visit the cemetery one time and find someone else had been buried in one of their plots. The cemetery goofed and somehow "double-booked" one of the plots. There was nothing the cemetery could do other than offer them another plot for free. 

On 6/1/2024 at 7:29 PM, jcjames said:

I don't have comics in my box at the bank but when I open it,the teller and I both put the keys in.They trhen leave and I remove my box.The key and box both have matching numbers.Teller's key fits them all.