• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the most expensive silver age comicbook by grade?

91 posts in this topic

If memory serves the WM AF15 is a REALLY soft looking 9.4.

That's surprising, as the grading committee at Sotheby's ooohed and ahhhed that book in the nineties when they examined it. Was grading less strict, or has the book been mishandled in the years since?

That's surprising, as the grading committee at Sotheby's ooohed and ahhhed that book in the nineties when they examined it. Was grading less strict, or has the book been mishandled in the years since?

Take a look at it in the Heritage archives. Personally, I don't think it's all that soft.

I should compare the scan I have from the catalog with the newer scans. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The grading committee at Sotheby's was all over the map on that book. Grades ranged from 92 to 98. Here is the listing from the catalog. FYI, the "consultant grade" is the grade that Jerry Weist gave the book. The book had all the same wear and defects that it currently has in the CGC slab, although they're harder to see on this reduced photo. Here is a link to an enlarged scan showing the defects better: http://www.datazap.net/sites/fantasyfootballbono/af15wm-big.jpg

And here is a smaller photo for display here:

af15wm-sm.jpg

Take a look at it in the Heritage archives. Personally, I don't think it's all that soft.

I should compare the scan I have from the catalog with the newer scans. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have to disagree on this one, Rob. All the defects that are on the book now were there when Sotheby's auctioned it. I think it is soft for a 9.4. Even Doug Schmell admitted in a roundabout way on the STL Comics forum that it *might* have gotten a bit of a gift grade.

The grading committee at Sotheby's was all over the map on that book. Grades ranged from 92 to 98. Here is the listing from the catalog. FYI, the "consultant grade" is the grade that Jerry Weist gave the book. The book had all the same wear and defects that it currently has in the CGC slab, although they're harder to see on this reduced photo. Here is a link to an enlarged scan showing the defects better: http://www.datazap.net/sites/fantasyfootballbono/af15wm-big.jpg

And here is a smaller photo for display here:

af15wm-sm.jpg

hi scott!!

because of the miswrap, aren't we able to see a lot of wear on the upper spine?? (i mean a lot in the dark area............). and there appear to be a number of spine creases, as well. i'm sure it looks beautiful in hand, but that's one soft 9.4 if you ask me...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have to disagree on this one, Rob. All the defects that are on the book now were there when Sotheby's auctioned it. I think it is soft for a 9.4. Even Doug Schmell admitted in a roundabout way on the STL Comics forum that it *might* have gotten a bit of a gift grade.

I didn't say it wasn't soft. I said "I don't think it's all that soft." It's definitely not the tightest book I've seen in a 9.4 holder, but it's also not an 8.5. confused-smiley-013.gif

AF15 9.6

FF#1 9.6

AF15 9.4 (the best 2 copies, not the WM nor the brown one...)

XMEN1 9.8

ASM1 9.8

and somewhere between 110 ans 125 is the Showcase 4 9.6.

IMO Marvels still rule the SA roost and the 9.6 Showcase 4 just wont sell for more than these top SA Marvels.

Since no one else has said anything, I'll just point out that I'm horrified that 3 experts can look at a book and say 9.2, and 3 others say 9.8 (the other 3 saying 9.4). If I thought a book was 1 grade and someone who knew what they were doing thought it was the other, my self-confidence would be completely undermined.

That seems like a very large spread; either the book has defects or it doesn't. You can't start saying that some spine stresses simply don't count...

And if you accept that kind of disagreement on such a high-grade book, then you can't justify paying any kind of multiples for grades above 9.2, because even a panel of "experts" can't agree whether it's better than 9.2 or not!

mini- sign-rantpost.gif

Since no one else has said anything, I'll just point out that I'm horrified that 3 experts can look at a book and say 9.2, and 3 others say 9.8 (the other 3 saying 9.4).

Yes, but with Sotheby's you had different "experts" with different grading skills using different criteria to grade books. One of the listed graders listed in the Sotheby's catalog for the AF 15 is/was a notoriously loose grader. Also, grading is as much art as science, there is no "right" answer.

Part of the value that CGC was supposed to bring to the process was people trained to the same level of grading skill using the same criteria to grade books. Whether you agreed that the right criteria were being used, at least it was supposed to be consistently applied. confused-smiley-013.gif

Since no one else has said anything, I'll just point out that I'm horrified that 3 experts can look at a book and say 9.2, and 3 others say 9.8 (the other 3 saying 9.4).

Yes, but with Sotheby's you had different "experts" with different grading skills using different criteria to grade books. One of the listed graders listed in the Sotheby's catalog for the AF 15 is/was a notoriously loose grader. Also, grading is as much art as science, there is no "right" answer.

It was also nealy 15 years ago. Grading was less precise then overall.

Where would the ToS 39 CGC9.6 fit in in this discussion? Or would it even be deemed worthy enough? What about a JiM 83 9.6

I have one (the WM JIM 83) but not the other on the $100,000 club list. I've considered it, but just never pulled the trigger. I'm kind of waiting to see if it moves. To my mind, the JIM book is just over the mark, so I don't think it ranks all that high.

Here are the SA books I've placed on the list (alpha)

Amazing Fantasy #15 9.6 CGC

Amazing Fantasy #15 WM 9.4 CGC Pedigree Sale:$150,000

OS 24 Sales Data- $39,100. Was also the 1st $10,000 Silver Age book. 126,500

Amazing Fantasy #15 9.4 CGC Listed at PGCmint for $165,000 86,250

Amazing Fantasy #15 Diam. Run 9.4 CGC Comiclink sale

Sold for $86,000 in 2001 122,000

Amazing Fantasy #15 9.4 CGC

Amazing Fantasy #15 9.4 CGC

Amazing Spider-Man #1 9.8 CGC

Amazing Spider-Man #1 9.6 CGC Sold for $92,000.00 at Heritage 3/03. Sold again 12/04. 110,100

Amazing Spider-Man #1 Curator 9.6 CGC

Amazing Spider-Man #1 WM 9.6 CGC Sold for 67,305 as a CGC 9.4 in 2001

Fantastic Four #1 9.6 CGC

Fantastic Four #1 9.4 CGC GPA 111,328

Fantastic Four #1 9.4 CGC

Fantastic Four #1 9.4 CGC

Incredible Hulk #1 9.4 CGC

Journey Into Mystery #83 WM 9.6 CGC

Showcase #4 9.6 CGC !!

Showcase #4 9.4 CGC

X-Men #1 Curator 9.8 CGC

X-Men #1 PC 9.8 CGC Sold for $110,000 as CGC 9.6 at Comiclink.

X-Men #1 PC 9.6 CGC sold at Pedigree