• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the most expensive silver age comicbook by grade?

91 posts in this topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the 100K books on the list were bought long ago raw for far less, yes. But some sales in excess of 100K have also happenned in the past few years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, but how many of those sales were to someone not named Parrino or Schmell? Other than the 9.6 ASM 1 purchased by the chiropractor or dentist or whatever he was, I`m hard pressed to think of a $100K SA transaction that didn`t involve these guys.

The point that I was trying to make without naming names.

Parrino's out and Doug either has the books he wants, and in a few cases, he's selling them (i.e. His Vault site).

yeah, and even between Parrino and Doug, only Parrino was spending new money on comics, or money at all since Doug is all "house money" at this point. But Ive heard of a couple of other players who have been in and around comics for a long time who have been buyers in the "100K club". Of course its not enough to be a "trend" and the club is ridiculously small for what we all otherwise believe is a strong and vibrant collectible community!

But look at the 100K list .. just how many comics (copies) TOTAL are we talking about, and they hardly ever come up for sale, so how much sales activity can we expect?? I think if they DID come up for sale, we'd see more 100K+ sales.

Wasnt the buyer of the WM AF15 last month a 'newbie' to the list?

heres the list of possible 100K Marvels...

a whopping 15 copies of which Id guess 10 are locked in collector's hands for another 10 years or so....or pryable out of their hands only for 'stupid' money like Doug's vault prices.

FF1 9.6 .....locked up

FF1 9.4 .....locked up

FF1 9.4

FF1 9.4

AF15 9.6 .....locked up

AF15 9.4 WM .....locked up

AF15 9.4 DR .....locked up

AF15 9.4 .....locked up

AF15 9.4 PGC

AF15 9.4

XMEN1 9.8 .....locked up

XMEN1 9.8 .....locked up

XMEN1 9.6

ASM1 9.8 .....locked up

HULK1 9.4 .....locked up

so the test of market strength and buyer depth rests solely on those measly 5 BOOKS that show up for sale. And keep in mind that the only copies we have seen on sale recently are Parrinos... he's out and if they were bought by collectors then you can scratch THEM off the available list too!

so then we're on the same page on this 100K stuff? or are you just fine-tuning the list...

I can live your list. But I think FF #1 CGC 9.4 and X-Men #1 CGC 9.6 aren't sure bets to sell for $100K (say at a Heritage Auction). Maybe, but not a given.

Xmen 1 9.6 has sold twice already at 110K, on Comiclink and on Pedigree. Unless you are saying it wouldnt sell for that again, that those were way above market price? And I have heard of a 125+ FF1 9.4 sale from lst year. Has noone else heard about it? Maybe It was a rumor.... or movie hype induced hysteria... but I "have it on good authority" that it happenned. It might have been Parrino's copy...

Xmen 1 9.6 has sold twice already at 110K, on Comiclink and on Pedigree. Unless you are saying it wouldnt sell for that again, that those were way above market price?

The X-Men #1 Pacific Coast copy in CGC 9.6 sold on Pedigree Comics for $100K. The other Pacific Coast copy that sold on ComicLInk was resubmitted and received a CGC 9.8 (and I'm pretty sure it has White Pages).

So the last one to sell was for exactly $100K, which if nothing else leaves open the possiblity that it might not get $100K now. Once again, who's the new buyer?

You might be correct on FF #1, but as I stated before, once you took Parrino out as a dealer buying unbelievably high priced comics, and the big SA Marvel collectors already having the books that they want, the next tier of buyers might not be buyers in the $100K range. And those next tier of buyers, will more than likely be TRADERS (at least in some respect) to get the book that they want. I honestly don't believe there are many ALL CASH sales of these super high priced books.

Xmen 1 9.6 has sold twice already at 110K, on Comiclink and on Pedigree. Unless you are saying it wouldnt sell for that again, that those were way above market price?

The X-Men #1 Pacific Coast copy in CGC 9.6 sold on Pedigree Comics for $100K. The other Pacific Coast copy that sold on ComicLInk was resubmitted and received a CGC 9.8 (and I'm pretty sure it has White Pages).

right. but before Doug got it, it was bought off Comiclink for 110K. Then it made its way to Doug. and Doug upgraded it and sold the other 9.6 for 100K.

So the last one to sell was for exactly $100K, which if nothing else leaves open the possiblity that it might not get $100K now. Once again, who's the new buyer?

hey, keep in mind Im not saying there are 20 100K buyers out there, or even 10! All I'm saying is that there are a few books that sell for 100K and a few guys on the bubble who will pay 100K-plus when given the opportunity.

And guess what? We'll get to see one maybe soon. I just saw that Doug is posting an ASM 1 and 2 in 9.6 shortly.... So we'll see what happens.

You might be correct on FF #1, but as I stated before, once you took Parrino out as a dealer buying unbelievably high priced comics, and the big SA Marvel collectors already having the books that they want, the next tier of buyers might not be buyers in the $100K range. And those next tier of buyers, will more than likely be TRADERS (at least in some respect) to get the book that they want. I honestly don't believe there are many ALL CASH sales of these super high priced books.

Trading is easier than cash payments. Sure. No argument.

But all we need is a few buyers for just a few books.

..and theres always the gray area where a collector sells books to third parties to raise cash for a book from a different dealer. Is that 'trading' or a cash buy? I think we are close on this. Small # of 100K books. Small pool of buyers. I think our only bone of contention is that the pool still exists and wasnt just Brulato, Schmell and Parrino. It might have only been 2 more guys so far... but they are out there, and given the chance there will be more...

right. but before Doug got it, it was bought off Comiclink for 110K. Then it made its way to Doug. and Doug upgraded it and sold the other 9.6 for 100K.

hey, keep in mind Im not saying there are 20 100K buyers out there, or even 10! All I'm saying is that there are a few books that sell for 100K and a few guys on the bubble who will pay 100K-plus when given the opportunity.

And guess what? We'll get to see one maybe soon. I just saw that Doug is posting an ASM 1 and 2 in 9.6 shortly.... So we'll see what happens.

Trading is easier than cash payments. Sure. No argument.

But all we need is a few buyers for just a few books.

..and theres always the gray area where a collector sells books to third parties to raise cash for a book from a different dealer. Is that 'trading' or a cash buy? I think we are close on this. Small # of 100K books. Small pool of buyers. I think our only bone of contention is that the pool still exists and wasnt just Brulato, Schmell and Parrino. It might have only been 2 more guys so far... but they are out there, and given the chance there will be more...

Gee, given that the "pool" is so small and shallow, it kinda makes me glad that i don't have any of these books....................... insane.gif

What d'ya mean? these are the best books to own. We'd all love have these books in our collections. Of course, depending on what you are into them for, that is. if you were about a year or two older, wow, think of the keys that would have ben Burntboy quality!!