• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it worth it?

8 posts in this topic

Not everyone sumbits them for the sole purpose of putting them immed on the market.   If you like it so much that you  just want to preserve it with whatever grade it currently deserves rather than submitting it after another 10 years of aging then go ahead.

As a middle aged guy, I bought many out of the cheap back issue bin just beacuse I wanted to collect certain stories, artists etc (and cheap was the only way I could afford many of them)

One of the few things good about getting old is the slow appreciation of value which happened over 30 years.    I remember buying a terrible copy of Green Lantern 76, prob for a buck.  Now there's Ebay sales with some that look just as bad for $150.

So if you like certain ones and think time may be favorable to their value - even if it's several years as opposed to decades - then go ahead.

Fo me, right now, I'd have to value something ~$75 as a minimum to make up for shipping/insurance/pressing/grading cost if I'm thinking of selling it soon.

You should probably have asked this in the newbie comic book forum.  This is the place where you ask for help grading your books by showing pictures of them outside of the bags and at least the back and front covers.  That being said, it is probably not worth sending MOST modern books in unless you are sure they will grade at least 9.6.  There are just too many 9.8's already slabbed for sale.  In the end only you can decide what is right for your collecting needs but I think you will find it can start to get pricy.

2 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

You should probably have asked this in the newbie comic book forum.  This is the place where you ask for help grading your books by showing pictures of them outside of the bags and at least the back and front covers.  That being said, it is probably not worth sending MOST modern books in unless you are sure they will grade at least 9.6.  There are just too many 9.8's already slabbed for sale.  In the end only you can decide what is right for your collecting needs but I think you will find it can start to get pricy.

Agree with this. Also, on the other end, I've slabbed a few lower grade silver age comic keys... ASM 5 (3.5), 10 (3.5), 13 (1.0), 15 (2.5), 28 (4.0)... that might sell for a higher price unslabbed. I'm actually considering cracking open a few before selling.

My general rule for ME is if it's worth more than $150 slabbed (ASSUMING you gauge the grade accurately), then it's probably worth it.

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Agree with this. Also, on the other end, I've slabbed a few lower grade silver age comic keys... ASM 5 (3.5), 10 (3.5), 13 (1.0), 15 (2.5), 28 (4.0)... that might sell for a higher price unslabbed. I'm actually considering cracking open a few before selling.

My general rule for ME is if it's worth more than $150 slabbed (ASSUMING you gauge the grade accurately), then it's probably worth it.

My threshold is more like 500 bucks, unless I have sentimental attachment.

1 hour ago, adampasz said:

Thank you. That helped out alot😊

Edited by Hollywood1892
Nonsensical autocorrect