• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tanned Amazing spider-man #20 "4.0"

9 posts in this topic

"Solid copy, has tanning on edges of covers and a horizontal crease on the back cover. Complete and no restoration." Just bought a 4.0 for 290. I intend on reading it but again I want an opinion if I should slab it? Thank you in advance! Also for a "Tanned" comic, is this a bad case of it? Will the tanning also be on the pages inside of the cover?Screenshot_20190225-213753_eBay.thumb.jpg.5c73dd84aefec310858cfded75bcace7.jpg

Screenshot_20190225-213737_eBay.jpg

Edited by KJJ10

To slab or not to slab...that is the question. There are, of course, many different reasons for slabbing a book. It's up to you to decide, since it really is an investment---of time, of money, of patience, etc. My advice is to do some research on what the value of the book is in slabbed and unslabbed condition. Check completed eBay auctions for comparable books. If the profit margin is there, it certainly gives you the monetary incentive to have the book slabbed.

As far as the tanning goes, the tanning on this book appears to be pretty typical, and certainly allowable on a 4.0. And until you actually see the pages, you never know exactly what you're going to find until you open the cover and check them out. The main thing I'm concerned about when I'm purchasing a raw book is whether it's complete or not---you never know if someone decided to cut out the Spidey pin-up from page 12. All these regular Silver Age Marvels are 8 wraps plus the cover; make sure they're all there with no large tears or pieces missing before you decide to keep it. The pages themselves will likely be somewhere in the off-white to slightly yellowed area (or both)!That's normal for a book from this era. If the pages are tan or brittle, you may want to think about sending it back for a refund and looking for a better copy. I hope this helps, and happy reading---that's one of my favorite early Spideys... (thumbsu

Edited by The Lions Den

cover tanning is strong.

If you paid $290 for it, then you paid close to CGC 4.0 price with the last CGC 4.0 selling for $286 in Feb 2019:

( 4.0 )  (7) $174  (5) $321   (7) $321   (2) $321  $286 Feb-2019

Feb-20-2019 $286 Cert# 1347491011 

Feb-09-2019 $355 Cert# 2010569006

Average price of the 2 that have sold so far in 2019 is $320. If you submit your book you might get a 4.0, and it will cost you easily $50 more for grading/ pressing/ shipping and then you have paid $340 for your copy.

I wouldn't get it graded.

Edited by Artboy99

If you are even CONSIDERING grading, you should OF COURSE consider the cost of acquiring one that is already graded and factor that in vs the cost of buying one, getting it pressed and graded, etc.  Artboy99 has graciously done some of that research for you.  But of course, every one has their own criteria for what they want to grade or not grade.

Of course the money you've already spent is a sunk cost.  You could spent $100+ more on this one to press, grade, ship (at least two ways), insure while risking grade drop/variance, restoration discovery, or other damage from pressing/shipping/grading, or just drop $300 for a graded copy that might even have better page quality (you could even sell the one you've got to help fund this purchase), though you might have to spend time hunting/shopping around for one at a good price.

Thank you all very much for the feedback. Shout out to Artboy for the research! What I'll probably do is keep this bagged and boarded, may sell it down the road, and try my luck on the bids. I'll also keep and eye out for any striking deals for this issue as well. Again, thank you all for your helpful responses. <3