• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2021 at 11:50 AM, fantastic_four said:

I'm greatly looking forward to this film, yet even I'm now considering just waiting for it to show up on Disney Plus due to the reviews.

But we don't yet know when it release there, do we?  Maybe it's about two months after release like Shang-Chi was, or maybe it isn't--Disney hasn't said as far as I know.  I believe they did announce the Shang-Chi Disney Plus release date prior to that film hitting theaters, but I haven't been able to find that they did that for Eternals.  So maybe it his by Christmas, or maybe in January--or maybe long after that as films traditionally have.  (shrug)

this was in my top 3 most anticipated of the year: TSS was terrible, this is now a pass until its free, looks like only Joel Coen came through for me

Edited by paperheart

On 11/4/2021 at 1:07 PM, jimjum12 said:

It was my favorite of the Thor movies... but I grew up on Lee/Kirby Thor, so the elves, trolls, and goblins resonated with me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Not my favorite, but I never really understood all of the vitriol. It's an enjoyable movie.

For me:

• Thor (2011): Had everything I wanted for someone that regularly read every Thor comic book I could get my hands on throughout the 70s and 80s. Including Asgard, the Warriors Three, Sif, Odin and Loki.
  • Thor 2 (2013): What the heck just happened? All that great foundation and Avengers (2012) and now this has turned into a mess of a story yet had loads of potential.
  • Thor 3 (2017): Initially it was fun and exciting but troubling all the original characters and Asgard that were thrown to the side for punchlines. Then later on it started to sink in all the characters and Asgard that was just thrown away for punchlines.

It's been an interesting ride as a Thor fan. Especially with Fat Depressed Thor later on.

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/4/2021 at 5:57 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think that, for a lot of people, it will be a matter of accounting. Do they have Disney+? If they're not really invested in The Eternals name (such as myself), then waiting to see it for 'free' seems like the best course of action.

This ones going to have to wait for Disney+. I bought a year outright as it was a great deal. Eternals will probably land on D+ as an “early premium unlock” for $30 and they can keep it. When I bought the annual subscription package, there was no fine print stating I would have to pay for individual movies or wait longer. Like its a mobile game with in-app purchases. The thing is, who doesn’t already own their favorite Star Wars or Marvel movies? There’s around 500 movies on D+ and over 2000 on HBOMAX and around 5000 on Netflix. Those numbers are about a year old so probably higher now. But D+ better triple their content fast or they are getting dropped. 

On 11/4/2021 at 4:54 PM, paperheart said:

looks like only Joel Coen came through for me

What film are you referring to?  All I see from him this year is Macbeth, and that doesn't come out until around Christmas.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:08 PM, Bosco685 said:

For me:

• Thor (2011): Had everything I wanted for someone that regularly read every Thor comic book I could get my hands on throughout the 70s and 80s. Including Asgard, the Warriors Three, Sif, Odin and Loki.
  • Thor 2 (2013): What the heck just happened? All that great foundation and Avengers (2012) and now this has turned into a mess of a story yet had loads of potential.
  • Thor 3 (2017): Initially it was fun and exciting but troubling all the original characters and Asgard that were thrown to the side for punchlines. Then later on it started to sink in all the characters and Asgard that was just thrown away for punchlines.

It's been an interesting ride as a Thor fan. Especially with Fat Depressed Thor later on.

Endgame Thor was the best Thor IMHO. Just like at the end Vegas Elvis:

Avengers Endgame Hinted About 'Fat' Thor Even Before The Death Of Thanos;  Read Details

9 ELVIS PRESLEY THANKSGIVING ideas | elvis presley, elvis, thanksgiving

Edited by kimik

On 11/4/2021 at 5:43 PM, kimik said:

Endgame Thor was the best Thor IMHO. Just like at the end Vegas Elvis:

Spoiler

Avengers Endgame Hinted About 'Fat' Thor Even Before The Death Of Thanos;  Read Details

Spoiler

9 ELVIS PRESLEY THANKSGIVING ideas | elvis presley, elvis, thanksgiving

Now I know you are busting balls as there would have been no books for you to flip for big bucks with this Thor.

:baiting:

On 11/4/2021 at 4:08 PM, Bosco685 said:

For me:

Uwlk.gif

On 11/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, Oddball said:

This ones going to have to wait for Disney+. I bought a year outright as it was a great deal. Eternals will probably land on D+ as an “early premium unlock” for $30 and they can keep it. When I bought the annual subscription package, there was no fine print stating I would have to pay for individual movies or wait longer. Like its a mobile game with in-app purchases. The thing is, who doesn’t already own their favorite Star Wars or Marvel movies? There’s around 500 movies on D+ and over 2000 on HBOMAX and around 5000 on Netflix. Those numbers are about a year old so probably higher now. But D+ better triple their content fast or they are getting dropped. 

When you say fine print, it’s as if you felt ripped off you couldn’t get Black Widow for free on Disney+ on the premiere date. We were in a global deadly pandemic so Disney offered a watch-at-home premium option for a couple major theatrical movies like Black Widow or Jungle Cruise. Exceptional circumstances. That’s done now and it looks like the world is back to theater exclusive movies again.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Observation: At this point, the Eternals RT score is now critics (and Rotten Tomatoes) piling on. Critics can be guilty of groupthink, too. And that's what this is.

Prediction: Audience reception and word of mouth will be much much better for Eternals, and the film will end up doing just fine.

This movie will still do ok opening weekend.  As much as we may argue about RT, there are enough fans that will see anything Marvel to almost guarantee that. If the reviews are accurate, it will not drive casual viewers to the theaters.  With casual movie goers, they still do listen to reviews and go to sites like RT. They likely have no clue about the controversies that surround sites like RT. With diehard fans, if they are not happy with what they see, what will be down is repeat viewings and second week numbers. Massive box office number rely on those repeat views and the casual ticket buyers.

As always, I am willing to take a risk and make a prediction.  This will do around 75 to 80 million opening weekend.

Edited by drotto