• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2021 at 5:56 AM, Oddball said:

I do okay but I’m not sure I would ever be at the point where I would want to pay more for a service where the pricing was established. 

I think we all get it companies are pushed by investors and owners to land profits.

It's just odd when someone cheers for 'charge more premiere access fees'. Especially early on during the pandemic when people are losing pay either through layoffs or furloughs.

On 11/5/2021 at 2:22 AM, Oddball said:

Serious question, is there anyone else here that supports Disney+ charging their subscribers an additional $30 to view their new release exclusives when HBO, Netflix, Amazon, Apple, Peacock+ etc. release their’s on the same day as theaters at no extra charge? 

C2382FFF-CD4F-4F7B-872A-6E93D323A63A.gif

HBO will stop doing it very soon, right?  It's mostly a pandemic thing.  Netflix, Amazon, Apple, and Peacock are all streaming-first platforms so theater releases are an afterthought for them.  I don't recall any blockbuster-style films from those streaming-first companies I would even typically want to see on the big screen.

So interesting. Rotten Tomatoes made another change. It is masking having the ability to see how may verified audience contributors cast their vote.

RT_Eternals.PNG.40ccf4309bf0607fabc936eaecdce6cc.PNG

So where with Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker you could clearly see the count, that is gone now.

RoS200202.PNG.c1f8493d394a4cb9a87799ed99122dfe.PNG

It begins.

RT_Eternals_tracking.thumb.PNG.3cb5d2da6472908155a4cb13a0089e7f.PNG

On 11/5/2021 at 7:18 AM, Bosco685 said:

So interesting. Rotten Tomatoes made another change. It is masking having the ability to see how may verified audience contributors cast their vote.

RT_Eternals.PNG.40ccf4309bf0607fabc936eaecdce6cc.PNG

So where with Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker you could clearly see the count, that is gone now.

RoS200202.PNG.c1f8493d394a4cb9a87799ed99122dfe.PNG

It begins.

RT_Eternals_tracking.thumb.PNG.3cb5d2da6472908155a4cb13a0089e7f.PNG

Go go Disney.  If this thing holds steady at 86% like TROS, I mean come on.

On 11/5/2021 at 2:13 PM, fantastic_four said:

HBO will stop doing it very soon, right?  It's mostly a pandemic thing.  Netflix, Amazon, Apple, and Peacock are all streaming-first platforms so theater releases are an afterthought for them.  I don't recall any blockbuster-style films from those streaming-first companies I would even typically want to see on the big screen.

Of course, I’m sure most if not all will stop doing it soon. The point is, they were releasing same day theater films during the pandemic at no extra cost and Disney was the only one charging an extra $30 on top of their subscription fee. Peacock even released Halloween Kills on its platform same day as theaters. 

On 11/5/2021 at 7:13 AM, fantastic_four said:

Judas and the Black Messiah was a hybrid candidate that actual was recommended for 6 Oscars. Not a blockbuster. But it sure got a lot of attention.

On 11/5/2021 at 7:28 AM, Oddball said:

Of course, I’m sure most if not all will stop doing it soon. The point is, they were releasing same day theater films during the pandemic at no extra cost and Disney was the only one charging an extra $30 on top of their subscription fee. Peacock even released Halloween Kills on its platform same day as theaters. 

When the CEO of WarnerMedia made the announcement about the hybrid schedule, he made it clear with that it involved a massive write-off of projected revenue originally assumed in scheduling the films.

But like you both noted, they are going to have to get back to profits and appeasing investors. It's the natural order of things.

From the ultimate and final source of all entertainment news, We Got This Covered:

Early Marvel’s Eternals Fan Impressions Are Much More Positive Than Critic Reviews

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/early-marvels-eternals-fan-impressions-are-much-more-positive-than-critic-reviews/

On 11/4/2021 at 10:02 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Audience reactions coming in on RT. As I said, I think audiences will appreciate Eternals more than the groupthink critics did.

1566893264_EternalsRTaudiencereactions.thumb.JPG.276b4d0eb6ffc4a63542282e272e1bcb.JPG

Wait...

On 11/4/2021 at 10:47 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Ok, but if you don't show just the bad good user reviews on a page...

Eternals_users01.thumb.PNG.2b73713e82297c2097557da372d2b896.PNG

:1845314138_shiftyeyesemoji:

On 11/5/2021 at 8:46 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Some random dude on YouTube who watched Eternals last night and needed to swing by his local Target store afterwards:

Film Junkies review - so more than a random dude

On 11/5/2021 at 9:43 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Okay, except I'm pulling from audience reactions since the premiere last night and not cherry picking. This is the latest page from most recent All Audience reviews. I guess you found the haters section? 

:860033678_canofwormsemoji:

You mean you cherry picked, right? As some of those were 5 hours or less ago. Or did you miss that in the images?

:1051834680_headpatemoji:

On 11/5/2021 at 1:22 AM, Oddball said:

Serious question, is there anyone else here that supports Disney+ charging their subscribers an additional $30 to view their new release exclusives when HBO, Netflix, Amazon, Apple, Peacock+ etc. release their’s on the same day as theaters at no extra charge? 

C2382FFF-CD4F-4F7B-872A-6E93D323A63A.gif

NO for me anyway.  

On 11/5/2021 at 6:42 AM, Bosco685 said:

I think we all get it companies are pushed by investors and owners to land profits.

It's just odd when someone cheers for 'charge more premiere access fees'. Especially early on during the pandemic when people are losing pay either through layoffs or furloughs.

Nice. Way to totally mischaracterize my point.

Which was...Black Widow made Disney more profit domestically its opening weekend from Disney+ subscribers who paid $30 to watch it from home than it did from every person in North America who paid to watch it in the theaters.

Thus, folks (like JayDogRules) who claimed BW was a theatrical failure and discounted the home theater $30 per takes as merely "ancillaries" - equivalent to licensing fees from toy sales - were not only intellectually dishonest but dead wrong.

This was 100% validated by Scarlett Johansson's lawsuit, as her contract was written pre-pandemic, with bonuses benchmarked to theatrical performance.

BW's Disney+ Premiere Access performance almost single-handedly changed how performer/director bonus payments will be structured in contracts going forward (although support from Emily Blunt with similar cannibalization of Jungle Cruise's theatrical receipts certainly helped as well).

I'm not advocating Disney continue to try to gouge folks with a $30 upcharge; rather acknowledging the business reality that Warner Bros. - and other studios - have left significant money on the table by not doing the same.