• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/8/2021 at 3:55 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Some audience comments about Eternals from the last half-hour on Marvel's YouTube page:

1027348706_eternalsyoutubepagecomments.thumb.JPG.ae9bdd5d73af7436a9effa47bcfd4e70.JPG

Eternals seems to be almost universally loved (or liked) by the fans. Take that, half of the critics! 

You are the comedy we needed today.

:860033678_canofwormsemoji:

Another possible factor - the move to Disney +

Some countries can get a great deal on multiple streaming sites via firestick / roku etc

Most however, are still having to put up with different channels.

Here:

Netflix for Lock and Key, older Marvel movies

Amazon Prime has different superhero movies + The Boys / Invincible + some DC

Foxtel has Walking Dead / Y-the Last Man / DC shows - Arrow, Stargirl etc

If you watch the MCU, you probably watch the other stuff as well.

I decided Disney+ was a step too far - I watch Foxtel for Sport, Netflix for other shows - so a 4th streamer was just too much.

The MCU sorta gets forgotten by most people - I haven't seen any of the series or films since the move.

I'm not the only one, nobody has mentioned Wandavision or the Falcon show or any of the recent movies - so the attraction of stand alone films such as Black widow, Shang Chi and now this is probably diminished.

The only movie I've seen advertised anywhere is Venom 2.

Nothing for any Disney + series or MCU movie - simply because all other channels are in direct competition, or not allowed the content, so why should they advertise Disney?

Australia isn't the only country in the same boat - I don't know why Disney didn't do a deal with each countries major streaming provider to show content via them?

Not a reason for the Eternals - but for all MCU movies going forward - in a lot of countries there is zero free-to-air content, just a stand-alone channel.

Might be time to look at fixing that.

2c

Edited by Beige

Regarding Chloe Zhao's statement that she was inspired in part by Man of Steel in the making of Eternals, yes, I saw it in the movie and could see it even without her statement. It was quite obvious to me. The way Ikaris moved in action and the way he carried himself, it seemed Zhao showed action clips of Henry Cavill to Richard Madden and said "kind of like this." For sure, the Eternals seemed like a Bizarro Superfriends, though a Bizarro Watchmen might be a more apt description. A major battle towards the end of the film seemed to use very similar choreography, effects, and camera work from Superman's battle with Zod and his crew in Man of Steel. There is even a seemingly direct visual referential nod to a Zack Snyder DC movie regarding Ikaris that I'm 100% sure is not a coincidence. People who have seen the movie might know what I'm talking about. 

Not attempting to rain on anyone's parade here.

RT_Eternals.PNG.24b1813db58bd049497534447e65dc5a.PNG

But how many 'Official Critics' and 'Top Critics" are there out there that so many are still showing up? Now I can see why some gravitate towards Metacritics with its smaller critic pool.

On 11/7/2021 at 5:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

Phase IV so far. Which if you notice with Shang-Chi the domestic box office contribution % wise. I have a feeling that Disney CEO's words helps spur on fans even more to show him 'experiment' was not what that film was about.

MCU_Phase4.thumb.PNG.3695b3dac282d990d33eadfe7e420207.PNG

Maybe Disney should have Bob Chapek do a few interviews about the MCU. His foot-in-mouth sure seems to help.

crazy how Shang Shi outdid black widow internationally while not being shown in China.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:43 AM, Bosco685 said:

Not attempting to rain on anyone's parade here.

RT_Eternals.PNG.24b1813db58bd049497534447e65dc5a.PNG

But how many 'Official Critics' and 'Top Critics" are there out there that so many are still showing up? Now I can see why some gravitate towards Metacritics with its smaller critic pool.

It's not the critic pool that makes a difference, it's the kind of metric used. One tells you the average grade a movie gets, like you'd grade an exam, and the other tells you the odds that you would like a film. Personally, I find the latter to be an inferior metric since it does not really give you an idea of how good or must watch a film is. For instance, Love & Friendship is an ok film, nothing spectacular. But there is absolutely no flaws in it in terms of adapting a Victorian novel and all the actors play their characters well even though that means some are spectacularly stupid (the comedy is not great). But, since almost no one thought it was a bad, it was the 2016 film with the highest rotten tomatoes score: 96%. 

Another fun example, in a year that had both Infinity War and Into the Spiderverse (two incredible cinematic experiences), the super hero film with the highest rating on rotten tomatoes was Batman Vs Ninja Turtles (at 100%) because no one had anything bad to say about it.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:17 AM, William-James88 said:

It's not the critic pool that makes a difference, it's the kind of metric used. One tells you the average grade a movie gets, like you'd grade an exam, and the other tells you the odds that you would like a film. Personally, I find the latter to be an inferior metric since it does not really give you an idea of how good or must watch a film is. For instance, Love & Friendship is an ok film, nothing spectacular. But there is absolutely no flaws in it in terms of adapting a Victorian novel and all the actors play their characters well even though that means some are spectacularly stupid (the comedy is not great). But, since almost no one thought it was a bad, it was the 2016 film with the highest rotten tomatoes score: 96%.

Another fun example, in a year that had both Infinity War and Into the Spiderverse (two incredible cinematic experiences), the super hero film with the highest rating on rotten tomatoes was Batman Vs Ninja Turtles (at 100%) because no one had anything bad to say about it.

Appreciate the opinions and thinking here.

But also you cannot always trust the Audience Score as not only can excited fans attempt to inflate this metric. It's the studios as well. That Gotti movie example that got a lot of attention demonstrated how a marketing company was potentially tampering with the ratings when the Critic Score was 0%.

Gotti_RT_AS.png.da6718252d4523262d77719cab080584.png

Dan Murrel of ScreenJunkies tweeted out his own suspicions this morning, noticing, “On Rotten Tomatoes, the movie Gotti has a quite unique score of 0% BUT it has a really good 77% audience score; looking at it, it has over 6,900 user reviews which is an insane number for a movie that opened to a miserable $1.7 million on 500 screens.” 

He then compared Gotti to a film much more similar in terms of scope, the Sundance darling Beirut, which earned 5 million dollars on 700 screens. The film only received 708 user ratings. That seems like a much more realistic number.

Beirut_RT.png.8a0a8a191a112b0f2e62ce8cdd42751f.png

What the marketing team assumed was everyone was so daft in the head they would never question 6,930 moviegoers so captivated by Gotti they rushed home to post their positive review of the movie on RT.

(:

I miss when Siskel & Ebert, and only a handful of other movie critics existed. The critically acclaimed bombs (and critically hated successes!) were not common. Usually the critics were right (e.g., Princess Bride). Now, every goober with a failed writer/director stick up their bum has a review.

Dagnabbit, now I sound old.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:01 PM, Muno42 said:

I miss when Siskel & Ebert, and only a handful of other movie critics existed. The critically acclaimed bombs (and critically hated successes!) were not common. Usually the critics were right (e.g., Princess Bride). Now, every goober with a failed writer/director stick up their bum has a review.

Dagnabbit, now I sound old.

There really was a simpler critic time where you knew who to at least hear their opinion, and then made a decision.

Now you have all these industry feeders that were potential directors and producers doing all they can to be part of the industry.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:10 AM, paperheart said:

BW wasn't shown in China either; 5% outperformance more likely to do w/ Disney+ availability and Covid levels at times of release

One thing that keeps being glossed over is that BW has a MUCH nicer rump than MOKF .... that may explain a lot. GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/9/2021 at 10:13 AM, Bosco685 said:

Appreciate the opinions and thinking here.

But also you cannot always trust the Audience Score as not only can excited fans attempt to inflate this metric. It's the studios as well. That Gotti movie example that got a lot of attention demonstrated how a marketing company was potentially tampering with the ratings when the Critic Score was 0%.

Gotti_RT_AS.png.da6718252d4523262d77719cab080584.png

What the marketing team assumed was everyone was so daft in the head they would never question 6,930 moviegoers so captivated by Gotti they rushed home to post their positive review of the movie on RT.

(:

I agree with what you're saying to a point. 

At the end of the day, I think Eternals is a film worth watching...  I have no reason to discount the Audience Score.  (and yes Bosco, I enjoyed Man of Steel)

On 11/9/2021 at 2:26 PM, piper said:

I agree with what you're saying to a point. 

At the end of the day, I think Eternals is a film worth watching...  I have no reason to discount the Audience Score.  (and yes Bosco, I enjoyed Man of Steel)

@piper did you note somewhere in my statement "Don't trust the Eternals audience score" in that post? Although seeing it start at 86% positive and yet the CinemaScore rating was a 'B' one of those things is not like the other.

Good on you that you enjoyed Man of Steel. A man of taste. Meanwhile... :kidaround: