• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2021 at 10:41 PM, TupennyConan said:

I enjoyed it. Much better than BW or SC. 

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll be seeing it for myself probably in 3D XD later today.

Now for discussion, do you think the movie still spells the "death knell" for the MCU? (this is a kind of sarcastic rhetorical question so no answer actually needed, of course it doesn't)

Referencing that ridiculous New York Post article that says the MCU should commit suicide or ritual seppuku or whatever it was, you know who should off themselves in the goodwill of sparing humanity from the horror of too many comic book movies? Sony and WB/DC. 

If Sony and WB/DC just stopped making their own comic book movies, there would suddenly be like 45% less superhero movies "inundating" the multiplexes. Sony actually does make subpar live action comic book movies. Please Sony just hand the Spider-Keys over to Disney already. You'd spare the world a slow and painful demise and also a lot of confusion of what's in the MCU and what's not. If WB/DC would just pull the plug as well (okay, with the exception of solo Batman and Joker movies I guess) and stick to television/animation, they might stop losing money and save the dignity and IP value of their legacy characters. There's always merchandising, WB.

Problem solved. If only.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:53 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Spoiler Review.  Rob breaks it down pretty well I think.

This guy really knows his Marvel stuff. :applause:

Like deep. Which was impressive to hear. Thanks for posting this.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

Meanwhile, you gave details that were published in articles versus the full credit scene details. That was the tell. 

Wait, in that spoiler reply I posted over in Venom 2, I detailed the mid-credits scene almost frame by frame. Ha ha, what the heck did I leave out? And do pirate torrents leave out the credit scenes? That sounds like a rip off.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:45 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Wait, in that spoiler reply I posted over in Venom 2, I detailed the mid-credits scene almost frame by frame. Ha ha, what the heck did I leave out? And do pirate torrents leave out the credit scenes? That sounds like a rip off.

It was very clear in the scene like Into The Spider-Verse they had been transported and found themselves in a different setting - not even the same room look and feel.

That was why I posted Emergency Awesome's explanation video in spoilers as he actually addressed the real entire credit scene and influences concerning the Hive history. It was a pretty cool scene. I had no knowledge of the sword. New Rockstars summarized it as well, and noted some of the comic book influences with Symbiote legacy. I wonder if Sony and the MCU can do something with this?

Spoiler

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/6/2021 at 8:31 AM, Bosco685 said:

This guy really knows his Marvel stuff. :applause:

Like deep. Which was impressive to hear. Thanks for posting this.

Without watching the spoiler section of that guy's video, does he know his Marvel stuff? I'm not even sure this dude knows what he's talking about. The Eternals didn't become obsolete in the comics because they were replaced by X-Men and Avengers etc. The Eternals were never that popular to begin with because none of Jack Kirby's 70's Marvel creations, including Devil Dinosaur, 2001 Space Odyssey, and Machine Man, sold well and never really stuck with the readers. Eternals I guess hung around because at least they looked like humans and Sersi did become a full fledged Avenger in the 90's. And in the context of the overall Marvel story, the only Eternals who hung around with humans were Sersi Ikaris and Kingo Sunen as they pretended to be human (and Ajax who remained buried in a subterranean Eternals city until Ikaris freed him). The rest retired to the Eternals City of Olympia long long ago. So in that context, the Eternals were never a super-hero group in the Marvel Comics universe until the 70's. They were never replaced by other heroes.  

And then this guy says a compelling Eternals story has never been written. Sure, the original Kirby series wasn't that compelling, but nothing he ever wrote was that compelling and was just too far out, but did the guy ever read the Neil Gaiman Eternals limited series? That was actually pretty good.

Sorry, but this dude lost credibility with me at his opener.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 11/6/2021 at 8:57 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Without watching the spoiler section of that guy's video, does he know his Marvel stuff? I'm not even sure this dude knows what he's talking about. The Eternals didn't become obsolete in the comics because they were replaced by X-Men and Avengers etc. The Eternals were never that popular to begin with because none of Jack Kirby's 70's Marvel creations, including Devil Dinosaur, 2001 Space Odyssey, and Machine Man, sold well and never really stuck with the readers. Eternals I guess hung around because at least they looked like humans and Sersi did become a full fledged Avenger in the 90's. And in the context of the overall Marvel story, the only Eternals who hung around Earth were Sersi and Ikaris as they pretended to be human (and Ajax who remained buried in a subterranean Eternals city until Ikaris freed him). So in that context, the Eternals were never a super-hero group in the Marvel Comics universe until the 70's. They were never replaced by other heroes.  

And then this guy says a compelling Eternals story has never been written. Sure, the original Kirby series wasn't that compelling, but nothing he ever wrote was that compelling and was just too far out, but did the guy ever read the Neil Gaiman Eternals limited series? That was actually pretty good.

Sorry, but this dude lost credibility with me at his opener.

:facepalm:

"HE DID NOT PROCLAIM ETERNALS AMAZING. I SHALL DETRACT FROM HIS STATEMENTS!"

CryingHeroes6.gif.f6ffc5b59c67e292698a49d882ce838f.gif

On 11/6/2021 at 9:02 AM, Bosco685 said:

:facepalm:

"HE DID NOT PROCLAIM ETERNALS AMAZING. I SHALL DETRACT FROM HIS STATEMENTS!"

CryingHeroes6.gif.f6ffc5b59c67e292698a49d882ce838f.gif

I didn't read the spoiler filled section of his review if that's what he said. I'm just saying he tries to give himself comic book credibility by prefacing his review with some comic book Eternals history, but his history is not really accurate. Whether he liked the movie or not, that's his choice, but if he's trying to judge the movie based on what is or isn't in the comics, he doesn't seem to actually know the comics. Just sayin'.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

It was very clear in the scene like Into The Spider-Verse they had been transported and found themselves in a different setting - not even the same room look and feel.

Did YOU watch Venom 2 and the mid-credits scene? Because they remain in the same hotel with the exact same look and feel. It was the same set. It just seemed to be a parallel mirror version of the original hotel room except now Tom Holland's Spidey was on the hotel flat screen.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:28 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll be seeing it for myself probably in 3D XD later today.

Now for discussion, do you think the movie still spells the "death knell" for the MCU? (this is a kind of sarcastic rhetorical question so no answer actually needed, of course it doesn't)

No. It's a good movie.

My best guess is that trashing the film gathers all the clicks & likes as it is so rare to trash a Marvel movie.

Trashing the film is a unique spectacle with internet rewards & payoffs. It builds its own momentum, creates its own feedback loop.

This is why internet follower counts or likes counts or posts do not reflect reality but rather form an alternate reality operating on its own terms & incentives.

That makebelieve reality then explodes in material reality by governing offline behavior & so forth. We all understand this very well.

Folks were given license to hate & took it for the ejaculatory dividends. This is exactly what the internet is best at: creating hate. In other words, we were never so racist as when the internet decided we were.

Edited by TupennyConan
never

On 11/6/2021 at 9:08 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Did YOU watch Venom 2 and the mid-credits scene? Because they remain in the same hotel with the exact same look and feel. It was the same set. It just seemed to be a parallel mirror version of the original hotel room except now Tom Holland's Spidey was on the hotel flat screen.

You are too indoctrinated to have a decent conversation. Even picking at that Geek Culture Explained video. Even though he was sharing what he found exciting.

The room actually changed on them. Go back to your Torrent video and see if they posted it now.

On 11/6/2021 at 9:11 AM, Bosco685 said:

You are too indoctrinated to have a decent conversation. Even picking at that Geek Culture Explained video. Even though he was sharing what he found exciting.

The room actually changed on them. Go back to your Torrent video and see if they posted it now.

No thanks, seeing Venom 2 once was enough for me and this conversation is now jumping the baby shark if that's an accurate use of the phrase. I'll be posting my unbiased thoughts on the Eternals movie later today after I see it in 3D XD. You should post yours too after you go see the 3D matinee show.

On 11/6/2021 at 9:10 AM, TupennyConan said:

No. It's a good movie.

My best guess is that trashing the film gathers all the clicks & likes as it is so rare to trash a Marvel movie.

Trashing the film is a unique spectacle with internet rewards & payoffs. It builds its own momentum, creates its own feedback loop.

This is why internet follower counts or likes counts or posts do not reflect reality but rather form an alternate reality operating on its own terms & incentives.

That makebelieve reality then explodes in material reality by governing offline behavior & so forth. We all understand this very well.

Folks were given license to hate & took it for the ejaculatory dividends. This is exactly what the internet is best at: creating hate. In other words, we were never so racist as when the internet decided we were.

I do agree social media and internet in general has allowed a portion of society to trash whatever they like excessively without any care. We see it all the time. Especially when they use Rotten Tomatoes, Metracritic and box office results as weapons to back the ugly narrative they want to push at a point in time. Heck, realsilvermarketeer does it all the time when bashing competing studios and creators.

But what I have used as a reference are reviewers that to me over time have shown themselves to be more reasonable. They are not pushing an agenda, but more trying to have a good time while sharing their views. They have saved me from bothering with films that otherwise I would have been disappointed spending money on. Though at times if I feel strongly enough, I'll make the jump.

I don't think Eternals is completely about diversity and wanting to hate something. There are reviewers that LOVE the MCU that are disappointed in this film. Brandon Davis from comicbook dot com loves it so much every actor he comes in touch with one of his questions he would ask excessively is, "If you could be any character in an MCU film, who would you want to play?" It's his THING he has come to be known for. Yet in his opinion with the Eternals, it was the story and how it came together.

Brandon_Davis_Eternals.PNG.ac321c8aa8299f2a675f93bc96d172f2.PNG

To write this off NOW as being all about hate, yet ignoring the years that even on here folks have been throwing RT ratings and box office results out laughing as they do it, seems to avoid the reality of many of these reactions. They didn't hate it. Nothing about diversity concerns. It was how the story played out. And most probably because they have gotten so used to how an MCU is packaged each time.

No offense meant at all to you. :tink:

Okay, because I'm all about accuracy, I did go look at the Venom 2 credit scene again on YouTube just now. I guess the hotel room scene does go to a different location from a city to a beach and I guess I remembered it differently. But the room layout itself is exactly the same. I guess as I watched it, I had no idea what was happening so I didn't really take notice (or maybe care?) until Tom Holland showed up on the TV screen and then I was like "oh that's kinda cool, I guess this wasn't a complete waste of my time then."

On 11/6/2021 at 9:58 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Okay, because I'm all about accuracy, I did go look at the V2 credit scene again on YouTube. I guess the hotel room scene does go to a different location from a city to a beach and I guess I remembered it differently. But the room layout itself is exactly the same. I guess as it was happening as I watched it, I had no idea what was happening so I didn't really take notic until Tom Holland showed up on the TV screen and I was like "oh that's kinda cool, I guess this wan't a complete waste of my time then."

Let's get you back on track care of Big Boot Tay

Di-Ver_Si-Ty.gif.036433ba00076177a8277a16f91d61a2.gif