• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The DC Collection Is COMPLETE.
9 9

1,517 posts in this topic

heres a question. I can see that these images show probably the GA and SA runs, bagged one to a bag/mylar etc. Do you keep Superman 1 thru 650+ in order all together? Or are the Moderns stored elsewhere, and are the moderns 10 to a bag or 5 or two to keep them manageable compared to their lack of value?

I put 10 Moderns in a GA bag with a board down in the middle of the books (one per bag) keeps them flat and safe and easy to move around while cutting down bag and board storage.

All the runs are in Bill Cole Arklights with a board in each one.

Each one bagged and boarded separately.

Superman 1 to 650 all in order. Nothing is split up. But I would never put more than one comic in an Arklight, as I seal each one.

While on the subject of Bill Cole, I have bought forty thousand off him, through my friend's comic shop.

Each set of 100 has either 98 or 99 inside.

I have never never ONCE counted a full 100, not ever. It is scandalous. We complained but were ignored.

I thought I was the only one.... doh!

Has anyone ever gotten 100 in a 100 count bag? :sorry:

I guess I could have just said "yes" but I like the graemlins...they are cool

Cover Number Twelve

If anyone wants to read that unreleased Hellblazer story, it's here in it's entirety: http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~jp/comics/shoot/index.html

Cancelled in the wake of Columbine for fears of upsetting anyone, causing Warren Ellis to quit the title.

doh!

A few questions for Ian. I apologize if any have already been answered in the past:

1. Do you have a favorite single issue in the collection? A favorite story?

2. Any chance we can get you to post your top 10 favorite DC covers? (or at least list them)

3. How many comics do you end up reading each week? Do you pick a few golden age, silver age and moderns to go through each day or do you go through periods where you read through an entire run?

4. Is there any DC horror story you can think of that compares to EC's?

5. What DC title would you like to see made into a movie that hasn't already?

While on the subject of Bill Cole, I have bought forty thousand off him, through my friend's comic shop.

Each set of 100 has either 98 or 99 inside.

I have never never ONCE counted a full 100, not ever. It is scandalous. We complained but were ignored.

I thought I was the only one....

Has anyone ever gotten 100 in a 100 count bag?

Never once.

Wouldn't it be great if we collectively stood up for our rights against such shabby and disgraceful treatment of their customers.

It is actually a disgrace.

I don't buy his overpriced stuff. I have, once, now it is always Gerber. Better quality as well.

Do they short change you like Bill Cole does ??

I reckon out of the 40,000 I bought, they have shortchanged me between 600 and 900 Arklights.

That's a LOT.

Bill Cole, if you're reading this, your customer service is a joke.

5. What DC title would you like to see made into a movie that hasn't already?

The Justice Society Of America, set in the 1940s.

:applause: That's an excellent idea I don't remember being discussed before. The Nazis are one of the few remaining 'politically correct' villains. That would certainly set things up differently than the other super-hero movies made to date. They could recapture some of the vibe of the first Indy Jones movie. Focus on the less-powered "mystery men" of the Golden Age: Hawkman, Dr. Mid-Nite, the Atom, Wildcat, Hourman, Sandman, Starman, Wonder Woman, maybe Black Canary even though she came later in the comics. Then in the third act unlease from the shadows the big guns... Dr. Fate, the Spectre, Green Lantern.

The Justice Society Of America, set in the 1940s.

That's an excellent idea I don't remember being discussed before. The Nazis are one of the few remaining 'politically correct' villains. That would certainly set things up differently than the other super-hero movies made to date. They could recapture some of the vibe of the first Indy Jones movie. Focus on the less-powered "mystery men" of the Golden Age: Hawkman, Dr. Mid-Nite, the Atom, Wildcat, Hourman, Sandman, Starman, Wonder Woman, maybe Black Canary even though she came later in the comics. Then in the third act unlease from the shadows the big guns... Dr. Fate, the Spectre, Green Lantern.

It's not only my dream film, but to me it's such a no-brainer.

I sometimes think Warners are, as I'm unable to say the word I want, shall we say somewhat lacking in intelligence..

A Babylon 5 film and a Justice Society 1940s film would both be their biggest ever blockbusters, to at least rival their Batman film.

The Sandman with his gas mask, The Spectre, Black Canary, Wildcat, Mr. Terrific, The Thunderbolt, all set in a dark moody Metropolitan city riddled with crime. The ULTIMATE comic book film of all time.

But why they have never done a Babylon 5 film, exploring its spiritual depths between the Narn, Centauri, Minbari, Vorlons and Shadows, is a criminal waste of one of the most brilliant premises in creation.

Given how many really cruddy films get churned out (Catwoman anyone ??) it makes me think they employ chimpanzees to commission films.

They OWN these properties already.

They're bloody useless !!!!!!!!!!

Wow. I dunno if this has been addressed yet in the 119 pages, but it's time to write a book.

Time to write which book ??

Years ago I wanted to do the definitive guide to collecting DC but Paul Levitz said they'd never allow it, as they had lost the rights to so many titles.

Ian, dumb question, but I presume you have the "newspaper" promo that came with one of the "Invasion!" issues from the late 80s? It's a smaller-sized mock-up of a paper, with a headline fashioned after Gen MacAuliffe's famous "Nuts" response to the Nazi's demand for surrender at Bastogne

Wow. I dunno if this has been addressed yet in the 119 pages, but it's time to write a book.

Time to write which book ??

Years ago I wanted to do the definitive guide to collecting DC but Paul Levitz said they'd never allow it, as they had lost the rights to so many titles.

How could they not allow it? Wouldn't you just be producing a guide like Gerber or Overstreet and just stating your opinions?

But why they have never done a Babylon 5 film, exploring its spiritual depths between the Narn, Centauri, Minbari, Vorlons and Shadows, is a criminal waste of one of the most brilliant premises in creation.

Given how many really cruddy films get churned out (Catwoman anyone ??) it makes me think they employ chimpanzees to commission films.

They OWN these properties already.

They're bloody useless !!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone else on here agree with me on this ???

Ian, dumb question, but I presume you have the "newspaper" promo that came with one of the "Invasion!" issues from the late 80s? It's a smaller-sized mock-up of a paper, with a headline fashioned after Gen MacAuliffe's famous "Nuts" response to the Nazi's demand for surrender at Bastogne

Yes. Several copies.

How could they not allow it? Wouldn't you just be producing a guide like Gerber or Overstreet and just stating your opinions?

It's because, according to them, those books cover all comics, and they wouldn't allow a book that covered exclusively DC.

It's because, according to them, those books cover all comics, and they wouldn't allow a book that covered exclusively DC.

I think you should consult an intellectual property lawyer. I can see how DC could refuse to cooperate, but I can't see how they could prevent you from writing such a book.

For example, there are plenty of books about the Beatles that didn't have authorization from the band or from their record companies.

Edited by tth2

I think you should consult an intellectual property lawyer. I can see how DC could refuse to cooperate, but I can't see how they could prevent you from writing such a book.

For example, there are plenty of books about the Beatles that didn't have authorization from the band or from their record companies.

Good point.

Can anyone on here help ???

Good point.

Can anyone on here help ???

How about a property lawyer who is not so intellectual?