• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The DC Collection Is COMPLETE.
9 9

1,517 posts in this topic

So, just so I understand this...

The cover art was included in the CCC's, and some fans took that, colored them, and produced them as covers?

I'm not exactly sure.You may be right but I don't know enough history to assure you, except to say you're most likely correct.But alternately, they may have been coloured by someone at DC unofficially.I just obtained them without knowing the entire story.Certainly the same stuff appears in my set of Cancelled Comic Cavalcade but in black and white.Much as the colour cover to Double Action, these are all things I obtained off others as scans over six years ago.

Thanks for posting them, whatever their origin.

Anyone know how to get "bootleg" copies of the CCC's? And how much do they go for?

I was reading some of those series when they were cancelled! :cry:

Thanks for posting them, whatever their origin.

Anyone know how to get "bootleg" copies of the CCC's? And how much do they go for?

I was reading some of those series when they were cancelled!

There are three versions.The first have plain covers and there are only about five pairs in existence.The second have the drawn covers, drawn at DC itself, and are legitimate, made by some fans who worked within DC and there were a limited set of exactly fifty made. I have one of these. Paul Sassienie picked it up for me many years ago in San Diego.The third are bootlegs taken off the second. These look quite similar but the printing is nowhere near as clear and sharp. They are in the light blue shiny covers with the black plastic binding, like a facsimile of the real ones.The bootlegs do often come up on e-Bay if you look for them. But even the bootlegs aren't all that common. Someone went to a lot of trouble to make them look convincing.

Originally Posted By: FlyingDonut
Some of Ian's pictures are just amazing.

Weird Mystery Tales and More Weird Mystery Tales

I have that Weird Mystery Tales i think. It's a mini comic, thin like a pamphlet right? Is it worth anything?

Originally Posted By: Anfield Fox
I have that Weird Mystery Tales i think. It's a mini comic, thin like a pamphlet right? Is it worth anything?

Well it's rare.

Thanks. Well if you need an extra, upgrade or you want to trade it for something drop me a PM. I think i have a lot more promo's like it from around that time. I will dig them up and see what i find.

Thanks. Well if you need an extra, upgrade or you want to trade it for something drop me a PM. I think i have a lot more promo's like it from around that time. I will dig them up and see what i find.

I don't need either of the two Weird Mystery mini-comics as my copies are perfect, but I am absolutely FASCINATED to find out what other promos you have, please.

Good news, I found the list of them on my computer. Their all promo's, mini comics, etc from the mid 90's-early 2000's that were never retailed but only 3 or 4 are DC's.

Aphrodite IX 0

Ascension 0

Ash Mini-Comic 4

Austin Powers Special Edition

Avengers: When Ultron Attacks

Captain America Vs Baron Zemo

Captain Marvel 0

Crossgen Primer

Crossgen Special Edition

Dawn Genesis Edition

DC Zero: Beginning Of Tomorrow

DC Zero Hour E.O.T.S.

Deadpool 0

Earth X Special Edition

Evil Ernie -1

Flamehead Special Edition 0

Flix X-Men

Future Cop L.A.P.D.

Dark Horse Heroes Revelations 1

Infinity 1/2

Jim Lee's C-23 Special Edition

Kiss Special Edition

Lady Rawhide Mini Comic 1

Maxx Mini Comic 2

Paradise X Special Edition

Pokemon Special Edition

Rising Stars 0

Ren & Stimpy Mini-Comic 1

Stormwatch 1/2

Slingers 0

Spider-Man: Work In Progress

Thunderbolts 0

Ultraverse New World Order

Undertaker 0

Universe X Special Edition

Ultraverse Godwheel

Vampirella Mini-Comic 5

Vampirella Mystery Walk

Weird Mystery Tales

Wildcats 0

Good news, I found the list of them on my computer. Their all promo's, mini comics, etc from the mid 90's-early 2000's that were never retailed but only 3 or 4 are DC's.

I'm surprised there were so few DCs on that list.

Some of the promos are rarer than Golden Age keys.

One day people will realise how collectable they are and their value will shoot up.

Personally I doubt it. If vintage promo material has not much of a market, why would 90s promo material suddenly attract buyers. Its interesting stuff but I don't think it appeals to a broad enough collector base

Personally I doubt it. If vintage promo material has not much of a market, why would 90s promo material suddenly attract buyers. Its interesting stuff but I don't think it appeals to a broad enough collector base

All the DC promos should be of great interest to all DC collectors.

I have never seen some of them come up for sale, like "The Dirt-Minator".

Originally Posted By: Bronty

All the DC promos should be of great interest to all DC collectors.

I have never seen some of them come up for sale, like "The Dirt-Minator".

to dc completists rather than dc collectors... an important distinction. There are thousands and thousands of the former but only a handful of the latter. So I just don't see anyone outside of a handful of very dedicated people like yourself paying much for dirtminator and the like. I haven't completed any sort of set on a scale like yours but I did in another hobby spend six years working on what is an almost complete set (that almost no one else was/is working on) so I can draw some parallels on a minor scale. There are parts of my set almost no one but me would appreciate because only I know how tough they were to get. Similar story here.You have to go through all the hard work of trying to put the set together to really appreciate something like dirtminator or the GA defend your home book you posted earlier. People that haven't put the work in will never appreciate it in the same way as someone like yourself or Jerome will. Unfortunately I can't picture many people being up the herculean challenge of being a dc completist (and it gets more herculean every month) so if even five copies of dirtminator are ever found I suspect it will be enough!At the end of the day both supply and demand are important but demand is king. Just look at all the common marvels with the lofty price tags. The history of comic collecting goes back many years as you know. It is difficult to name even a handful of promo comics that have in all that time garnered significant attention, demand, or value. For that trend to suddenly reverse itself... I just don't see it. I think a lot of collectors don't even view promos as "real comics."The fact that you went the extra mile to collect all these is even more impressive therefore; but I just can't see many others taking it up.

No they are several pages long and are proper Superman stories in black and white. They only appeared in 1947. Every other issue from a different year that I have so far come across doesn't seem to have any trace of them inside.

Ian, thanks for answering. They sound really interesting.