• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

to slab or not to slab.....

13 posts in this topic

Ive never used this grading service for any of my books, but have been considering it. I always thought that it only made sense to slab the higer grade books. Any opinions on that from the GA collectors. I have a few GA comics that are in half decent condition, and wanted to post some pics here to see if you all think its worth it to slab 'em. I appreciate your time.

detective59.jpg

NOt to bad shape, eh?

detective71.jpg

This is in nice shape, by my standards

Mystic10.jpg

a little beat up, but still nice

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Nice books and welcome to the boards.

If you are not planning to sell them, I would not slab them. Even if you are planning to sell them, you probably don't need to slab them. The major benefit for selling them would be the restoration check/certification. I'm not sure that it would be worth it for these books given their grades and Overstreet values. You would probably do just as well selling them raw with a return policy.

Its good to be a new member here. Ive been looking for a comic forum for a while now.

that Det 71 is in nice shape, for sure. Got it for a song at some local auction..maybe 15 bucks!!!

So it makes sense to slab if they are in higher grade AND if i plan to sell them? I am definately not planning on selling them any time soon.

143ksk, by your opinion, when would it make sense to slab?

143ksk, by your opinion, when would it make sense to slab?

I think there are several reasons to slab a book:

1). Because you're selling it and think that slabbing it will increase its "value" beyond the cost of the slab. That usually means big ticket and/or high grade books.

2). For the restoration check

3). To see what grade CGC would give the book

4). Just because you want to

Of the hundred or so books I've had slabbed, only around a dozen were to keep in my collection. They were submitted for various combinations of 2 through 4.

If it is worth it to you to have any of those books slabbed, then you should definitely do it. There are lots of people on this board that have had hundreds (or more 893whatthe.gif) of their books slabbed. And there are some who have never had a book slabbed. It's totally up to you.

I personally wouldn't slab any of them unless I were looking to sell. I think books usually look better in Mylar, and you can always take them out and flip through the interior.

I agree, the Detective #71 is nice enough that you would probably want to slab if selling. The Mystic #10 might do a little better if slabbed, but it's hard to say for sure. Great books by the way! Collecting the Destroyer cover run of Mystic is one of my "someday" goals.

Well...it seems I cant get to my other GA comics right now. I have a room full of comics and record albums and tons of random "junk" (uhhhhh all kinds of ancient video game systems and cartridges...toys...45s...etc....). I also purchased a large collection of boxed model airplanes. This and all the other stuff has rendered my long boxes inaccessible for the moment. darnit. I gotta "thin the herd" up there. My girlfriend HATES all my stuff. smile.gif

Offhand though, I wanted to get some opinions on a copy of Baseball Heroes, a Phil Rizzuto comic, Thrilling true tales of the baseball Giants and TTT of Baseball Yankees, and Dell Giant Donald Duck Fun Book #2 in unused shape...VF or highr Id wager. I'll have to save it for another day. I also have almost 2 complete runs of Classic Comics Illustrated, though many of the earlier issues are reprints.

if you plan on holding them, putting them in mylars with one of those premium carbon backing boards ought to be fine. what i do on the expensive stuff is do the mylar.buffered board route and THEN put that in a magazine back with a big stiff backer so that the comic can't get damaged. then keep the good stuff in a real acid free comic box in good climate conditions (not on top of the radiator/boiler, in the basement, in the 150 degree attic, not next to a water pipe, etc.)

spending $25-$40 now to slab the #71 if you plan on keeping it a long time doesn't make much sense to me. if you want to sell it, spending the money on a slab should pay off. the other books are iffier. if they come back below a 2.0 ("good"), you may not have helped yourself.

if you're picking up oldies super hero comics like those for $15 a pop you're doing fine (the exception might be really beat up captain marvels, which may sometimes run cheaper). there's always a market for that stuff, generally at least 50-100% of guide if people feel comfortable with your "no restoration" guarantees.