• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading opinion about mold and stains

10 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I started "collecting" comics since I was a 14. By "collecting" I mean I subscribed to them, really enjoyed reading (some multiple times like Avenger, Quasar and New Universe's Star Brand and Justice - my favs... weird... I know...). I have to say I REALLY enjoyed them and the first few books I bought are really showing that I read them over and over again. Funny story - I actually didn't realize the numbering on the books so I read Captain America #328 before I read #327 (despite buying them together) and couldn't make head-or-tail of the plot :-) Also, until I subscribed (Mile High Comics) it was very hard to find them in my country - only in used-books stores which obviously didn't treat them well but I bought anything I could can afford.

Yada-yada-yada... now have about 5000+ books mostly from the glorious days of 80s and 90s.

For various reasons (financial, moving to a different country, storage restrictions, bags/board availability) these book were not all well preserved (no point crying over spilled milk and cream to off-white pages). But now that I can afford to, I am bagging them all and looking for books to complete some of the rans. In short - I don't have anything worth grading but still want to make an effort to preserve. As part of that I am curious about what condition they are - They are obviously not "Near Mint" or even "Fine" but according to what I read they vary from Very good to Fair (duh!).

So if that is okay with you - I will post some online to get some opinion (realize it is not formal/official) but just out of curiosity.

Very recently I bought some books and among them I have some late 60s World Finest, Batman, Brave and Bold and Action Comics. While they are showing some age - I got most concerned about the water damage. At first I thought the cover just showing staining but opening inside I see more damage. I wanted to get your opinion on the following:-

1. Is that actually mold or something else?

2.If mold - should I just burn them away (as I saw another thread suggesting :-) as I don't want this to spread to the others books.

3.Is there a way to preserve them (someone I talked to suggested I press and slab them so they will be sealed and void any impact on other books) - while I don't think these should be "My FIrst One", I was wondering if this will really help and feasable course of action.

4. And finally - (again understanding this is not formal/official and that you may not have all the info) - what would you grade them? Poor? Fair? Good?

I will upload several books into this thread but will start with World Finest 169 and 174 (these are the one that show most damage/mold - but I will upload few others)

Thank you everyone for your time and opinion.

C. (The Tall Guy)

WordFinest_169_01.jpg.e7fb7447372dce394112244c4f344a46.jpg

WordFinest_169_02.jpg

WordFinest_169_03.jpg

WordFinest_169_04.jpg

WordFinest_174_01.jpg

WordFinest_174_02.jpg

WordFinest_174_03.jpg

WordFinest_174_04.jpg

WordFinest_174_05.jpg

Edited by TheTallGuy
Few Typos

If you interested in preserving your books you have then the books need to be placed individually in Bags (preferably Mylites) with Acid Free Boards and Stored away from All Light (Standard Comic Storage Boxes are fine), in a Controlled Environment (Temperature/Humidity, No Basements/Garages/Attics) and away from all Heat Sources.

The mold will not spread to other books if they are kept in their own individual bags away from Water/Moisture.

How to clean/remove mold...??

As far as Grading...

IMO the WF 169 is a GD- 1.8 only because of the tear at the top left and the WF 174 is a GD 2.0.

The Mold/Staining/Rust Migration has no affect on books in this grade.

There is nothing wrong with Lower Grade Books (Also known as Reading Copies, I refer to them as "Well Loved"), I own many Well Loved Books myself.

Here is some info that will help you with grading.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

https://www.gemstonepub.com/en/the-overstreet-guide-to-grading-comics-2016-edition (Amazon for less $)

20 hours ago, TheTallGuy said:

For various reasons (financial, moving to a different country, storage restrictions, bags/board availability) these book were not all well preserved (no point crying over spilled milk and cream to off-white pages).

That's one of the funniest lines I've heard in a while... lol 

On a more serious note, I agree with marvelmaniac's comments above. The only thing I'd like to add is that even though the mold isn't likely to spread, I'd still probably keep those books in a different box, away from the "non-moldy" books. Sometimes books with water damage have a strong, musty odor...

Welcome to the boards! For a given issue or two, or even dozens, you should be able to replace (cheaply) examples of those books in a lot better shape (i.e. without stains or mold) for not much cost. I certainly wouldn't go to the expense of slabbing the ones you have now, much less even boarding or bagging them -- just enjoy reading them. You could separate those showing old rust/mildew/foxing/staining, from those not showing it, and keeping them in their own box. I don't think they need to be burned per se, but they probably should be kept separate. A fairly stiff (new) paintbrush could fleck away any loose particles/rust/bits from inside the pages. Grading them, they'd be fair to good range. Unless there is strong sentimental attachment to these particular copies, as you replace them with better (if that's your desire) they could be given away, sold at a garage sale (x books for $1), etc.

From reading, I also assume you may be in a country other than the US? If in a coastal humid area of Australia, for example, I know foxing/mildew/moisture is a huge concern with stamps -- wouldn't be much different for comics -- there as in most places, temperature control and keeping things boxed (at the least) will cut down on it. And if not in the US, back issues of US comics may not be quite as accessible, but even large lots of the type of books you've shown should be available via mail order in bulk.

Hope that answers some of your questions? :) Again, welcome!

Edited by originalisbest

Hi,

First of all - thank you all for the detailed responses... very much appreciated and very insightful.

marvelmaniac - thanks for the overstreet guide (Amazon thank you as well - as they now have an extra $24 :-))

So we all in agreement that this is mold - correct? Not sure how to recognize a simple staining (which will stay the same given proper storage) from actual mold (which may expand over time regardless).

originalisbest  - USED to be in a humid country. Now in Canada (which is pretty dry according to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Dry ;-))

Thanks again (I will post the other comics in the grading section)

C. (The Tall Guy)

Lots of great information here, so I will simply add my opinion

I will NOT buy a book with mold or extensive water damage. 

1 hour ago, TheTallGuy said:

Hi,

First of all - thank you all for the detailed responses... very much appreciated and very insightful.

marvelmaniac - thanks for the overstreet guide (Amazon thank you as well - as they now have an extra $24 :-))

So we all in agreement that this is mold - correct? Not sure how to recognize a simple staining (which will stay the same given proper storage) from actual mold (which may expand over time regardless).

originalisbest  - USED to be in a humid country. Now in Canada (which is pretty dry according to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Dry ;-))

Thanks again (I will post the other comics in the grading section)

C. (The Tall Guy)

You're welcome! I'll say this additionally about mold -- there's "mold" (imagine a book that's just a mess, spore-y, green, stains, you name it) -- no, I won't be interested. Take another, 1940's book, with a light dust shadow/old foxing (which is just another name for old mold spores) -- but that's in all appearances long dead, stable, and "is what it is", I don't mind a book with light evidence of foxing (Larson copies can exhibit it) but -- it's all a matter of degree. Lots of heavy foxing? No, wouldn't want it. A light strip of light foxing on a back cover? Not a problem on a tough book, unless better is readily available.

3.Is there a way to preserve them (someone I talked to suggested I press and slab them so they will be sealed and void any impact on other books) - while I don't think these should be "My FIrst One", I was wondering if this will really help and feasable course of action.

Who in their right mind would think that pressing and slabbing a 50 cent book is reasonable?  :screwy:

On 3/3/2019 at 2:31 PM, TheTallGuy said:

3.Is there a way to preserve them (someone I talked to suggested I press and slab them so they will be sealed and void any impact on other books) - while I don't think these should be "My First One", I was wondering if this will really help and feasible course of action.

Also, slabbing does not provide any more protection than a Mylite and Acid Free Board taking all other storage conditions/factors into consideration.:preach:

Here is some info from the Library Of Congress about Mold on paper.

https://www.loc.gov/preservation/about/faqs/disaster.html

Also, all of this speaking about mold got me thinking/remembering  :idea: .

I bought this book 20/25 years ago to fill a hole in my TOS run, probably for a $1.00 or 2 and it has been stored in the same Mylite in the box with all of the other TOS books ever since, the mold has not spread to other books nor has it gotten worse and there are no signs of mold on the board in that time and it has no "musty" smell.

That book serves its purpose, my run of TOS is complete (1-99) and that particular book is not that important in the run that it needs to be replaced or upgraded.

4pw000.jpg

Edited by marvelmaniac