• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Was the First Great Comic Collector?
1 1

87 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, PopKulture said:

So his cat is just walking around on the comics??  :whatthe:

The comics of the collector who reportedly owned a dozen copies of Action #1 in perfect condition.  :whatthe::whatthe:

22 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Just curious if any of you guys over here have ventured over the GA forums to give my case for the "First Great Comic Collector" a read.  I'm curious to see everyone's reactions.

Thank you for taking the time to research and write that. It reads like a real labor of love.:golfclap:

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:56 PM, sfcityduck said:

Pop Hollinger was probably the first mail order comic book dealer.  But, he lacks a lot of other criteria.  And what he did to comics makes me shudder.

Aside from buying by weight, I read someplace (forget where) that Pop would usually pay a penny, sometimes 2 cents per book, and resell for 2 to 5 cents per book. Now, if we're talking about his comic business getting its start in 1939, I wonder if there was some heirarchy of value for issues in that day, who established it, and what it might of been. Which books had a resale value of 2 cents, 3 cents, 4 cents, or a full nickel. And was this value scale according to Pop only, or did others follow suit and either agree with him, or set up their own price structure for relative values. Have you ever seen any literature to that effect of how Pop and possibly other 1930s/1940s pioneers of the comic book biz set their price structure?

Edited by James J Johnson