• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading 101

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

New to this forum and hoping to pick up some basic grading knowledge.  I have a copy of Punisher 10 that is sentimental to me.  It’s in very good shape but has a scuffed corner and some wrinkles on the back near the bottom. I am hoping that maybe the wrinkles can be pressed out, but assume there is nothing to be done about the corner.  Question is, what does this corner automatically drop the grade down too assuming the wrinkles can be pressed out and everything else is good?  Thanks for your help.  

3B21561B-0EF0-43B7-AC65-B612A0B207C3.jpeg

266694F0-9EEE-4FD5-8D6B-AC9EDE14F818.jpeg

The bottom edge tear in the second photo is what would cap the grade, not the corner ding. (Also looks like a hint of moisture tideline down there too.)

Agree with comicginger above, 7.0/7.5 range if all else broke right. Sentimental value is great and I would just keep the book raw in a nice Mylite. 2c

Thank you for the input.  It’s helpful to know the potential grade of the book as it stands now.  I didn’t even realize there was a tear in the bottom, but when I looked, sure enough it is there.  

Ok, so to educate me, if there was no tear or any funny business on the bottom, just the bad corner, what would the book grade, a 9.6? / what is the deduction for a bad corner?

Edited by Rayzor13
Correction

4 hours ago, Rayzor13 said:

Thank you for the input.  It’s helpful to know the potential grade of the book as it stands now.  I didn’t even realize there was a tear in the bottom, but when I looked, sure enough it is there.  

Ok, so to educate me, if there was no tear or any funny business on the bottom, just the bad corner, what would the book grade, a 9.6? / what is the deduction for a bad corner?

That's a lot of ifs, but sure, as a hypothetical and a guess on my part: if the corner were the SOLE defect on a 9.8 book, it wouldn't shock me to see the book slab as high as 9.4 or so. The tears might be production defects common to the issue that wouldn't be counted against the final grade, and even if not they look fairly discreet.