• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic-Con International

9 posts in this topic

Is it my imagination or does it just appear that there is no such thing in the world as a rare comic book? Just got back from San Diego and I could have sworn I saw a half dozen Batman Ones, a few Superman Ones, Marvel Mystery Comics galore, Marvels everywhere you went--all titles and all grades. Well anyway, I picked up Superman 144 in 8.0, Superman Annual One in 7.0 and an Adventure 210 in 4.0 with great eye appeal. All were unslabbed and all three were real finds--my "Holy Grails". I'll post scans tomorrow; three days and one preview night can wear one out.

One thing is for sure, BATMAN #1 is the most common GA key. Metropolis alone has about nine copies, and many other big time dealers have one.

Everything Is Common.

Well, the jury is still out but we'll see if my scout was able to come up with two copies of Katy Keene #12 for me!

I halfway doubt it!

Marc

I was being sarcastic,I constantly hear people say that is and that is common.I'm starting to wonder if anything that's popular is rare anymore.

Everything Is Common.

Well, the jury is still out but we'll see if my scout was able to come up with two copies of Katy Keene #12 for me!

I halfway doubt it!

Marc

I was being sarcastic,I constantly hear people say that is and that is common.I'm starting to wonder if anything that's popular is rare anymore.

All-American 16, Red Raven 1

I recall back in the 90s, when I used to recieve catalogs from many of the major dealers, that complete or near complete runs of Batman 1-100 were everywhere ( often 11 was missing - I imagine pulled for a want list ). I know Batman was a top selling book in the 1940s, but so were Superman and Captain Marvel - and they didn't seem nearly as common as Batman in catalogs. Were 1940s Batman collectors more likely to save their books - or is it that Batman has been more widely collected for the last 20-40 years and therefore more complete GA collections exist and are then sold as runs to dealers?

runs of the most popular characters' comics arent really hard to put together.....there are enough copies existing to go around. That always been true. Its only difficult when you only want a high grade run... Its sora Darwinian. The HG copies sell for increasing amounts of money, and therefore naturally select out th emajority of those who want them to a smaller ans smaller pool of thos who want them AND can afford them. This maintains the demand side of the equation. Fewer and fewer HG copies to be sought after by fewer and fewer well-heeled collectors the higher up the ladder you go.

and maybe this natural selection that you pointed to as to collectors seeking out 8.5s and 9.2s will maintain demand for 9.4s as well. Though probably not at prices they got while they were perceived as scarce in 9.4...

Everything Is Common.

I halfway doubt it!

Marc

Just an update--not only couldn't I get the Katy's I needed, but even more common later numbers were almost not to be found.

Gah!