• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Selling Questions

4 posts in this topic

I'm looking to sell off a small collection of comics, and while there are a few key issues here and there, the bulk of the collection is, for lack of a better word, filler.  My plan right now is to sell most of them in lots with a few singles here and there, but I have a few questions on how to best go about this.

1. Is it better to sell a series in one big lot (talking about 40-50+ comics) or split it into smaller lots of, say, 20-30? I'm thinking splitting might be more manageable for shipping, but I'm still new to all this.
  2. What do you prefer for shipping? I was thinking of going with USPS Priority flat-rate, but I'm open to suggestions.
  3. I have a few mini-series that are one or two issues shy of being complete. Assuming I can find the missing issues for a reasonable price, is it worth it to hunt down a missing issue to have a full set to sell or should I sell them as-is? They're not anything major, but a part of me wonders if they'd be more fetching as a complete set.
  4. This is more of an Ebay question, but which is the better option for comics, auctions or BIN?  Better question:  Do I have other options besides Ebay?

I will answer some of your questions:

4.  Auction vs BIN depends on your preferences. You won't be disappointed with a BIN price, but your item might sit forever.  If you do auctions, you might sell everything in one week and just be done with the whole endeavor and move on with your life.  But the prices might not be as high.  To that extent it depends on your own preferences and how badly you need the money.  It might also depend on your ebay selling experience (if you have your own store already, that might impact your answer).  Another option is to sell here on the boards.  There's no fees, and on the average you're less likely to run into a problem buyer.  But people here to have higher expectations about accurate grading and good packaging, and are less likely to stupidly overpay.

3.  If you can fill the set for $1-$3 per comic, I'd say get the complete set, but make sure you check the price of complete sets first.

Generally, do your research by looking up sold prices on ebay

Edited by revat

1. Keep together. From experience you get better value. Piecing out one by one would get most but you could sit around for years waiting to get what you want per ish.

2. Stick with that

3. Depends on the series. 

4. Other options include here (I’m interested in what you are selling:) and Instagram. Avoiding fees is always nice to do.