• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age: Slump, Surge, or Natural Selection?

47 posts in this topic

Years ago I used to buy any and nearly all HG copies I found, if I could get what I thought was a decent price. But Id lean toward buying since in general, I thought comics had a lot of upside potential. I dont really think that way right now. And I dont really need any more comics either.

But, I cycle through this kind of off again on again love affair with taking home shiny new HG comics! This is definitely an off again period for me. With definite "wait and see' attitude thrown in.

Over the past few years I have purchased many Pedigree'd #1 S/A comics from various private sellers & companys. These include E-Bay, Heritage, C/Link, PGC & Mastronet.

Two Years ago most of my Pedigree'd comics would be purchased from E-bay. Today I am finding that the majorityof #1 Pedigree'd comics are few & far between on E-bay. It appears to me that Sellers are now using Heritage Signature auctions and sites like Pedigree comics to sell this type of item.

It may also be that more and more Pedigree'd books are being held in peoples private collections rather than flipped over the short term. confused-smiley-013.gif

Regards,

Russ

Over the past few years I have purchased many Pedigree'd #1 S/A comics from various private sellers & companys. These include E-Bay, Heritage, C/Link, PGC & Mastronet.

Two Years ago most of my Pedigree'd comics would be purchased from E-bay. Today I am finding that the majorityof #1 Pedigree'd comics are few & far between on E-bay. It appears to me that Sellers are now using Heritage Signature auctions and sites like Pedigree comics to sell this type of item.

It may also be that more and more Pedigree'd books are being held in peoples private collections rather than flipped over the short term. confused-smiley-013.gif

Regards,

Russ

thats my impression. I just dont see that many top copies of keys up for sale lately either. That why I started the post about the 9.4 Avengers #1. Given the rarity of being offerred such a book, Im somewhat surpised noones grabbed it, or tried. Course the action is probably in phone calls to Doug rather than online visible bids. Thats how I would handle it...

It seems that early FF's in 8.0 to 8.5 are still doing well, especially white and ow/w pagers. Heroes had a few nice FF's in the 20's ranging from 8.0 to 9.0 all with ow/w or white pages on ebay about a month ago. Tried for the 27, a nice looking 8.5 with ow/w, but it went for around $450 if memory serves. Very strong price for a VF+. I think that the material on CL and Pedigree is sitting a bit longer than usual mainly because everyone is trying to get RECORD prices for their books. CL just sold an FF 13 in 9.0 for about $1000 more than the previous sale which was only 1 month earlier. Overall, early silver in 8.0-8.5 is still selling above guide, especially key or classic cover books. The overall inferior page quality of the Joe/Nadia Manorino collection is hurting some of their sale prices, but the majority of those books have light tan/ow pages. GPA really needs to start tracking page quality.

It seems that early FF's in 8.0 to 8.5 are still doing well, especially white and ow/w pagers. Heroes had a few nice FF's in the 20's ranging from 8.0 to 9.0 all with ow/w or white pages on ebay about a month ago. Tried for the 27, a nice looking 8.5 with ow/w, but it went for around $450 if memory serves. Very strong price for a VF+. I think that the material on CL and Pedigree is sitting a bit longer than usual mainly because everyone is trying to get RECORD prices for their books. CL just sold an FF 13 in 9.0 for about $1000 more than the previous sale which was only 1 month earlier. Overall, early silver in 8.0-8.5 is still selling above guide, especially key or classic cover books. The overall inferior page quality of the Joe/Nadia Manorino collection is hurting some of their sale prices, but the majority of those books have light tan/ow pages. GPA really needs to start tracking page quality.

Having purchased, and even cracked open, some of those Mannarino books, I can tell you that most of them with the "Light Tan to Off-White" page designation are exceptionally nice, with light to moderate cover discoloration, and the pages themselves are supple and creamy (at least on the one I broke out). They're also quite glossy. But you're right, the page designation hurts their desireability, so I'm happy for the lack of competition.

Here is the one I cracked out...FF # 27 that CGC called a 8.0 (I paid about 20% under VF guide).

1127020485395_FF27cgc8.0a.JPG

Great book.

An interesting story with those books.

I had dinner with Doug Schmell the other night, and he told me that he had an opportunity to by that collection several years ago, but the Page Quality is what turned him off (realize he is a pedigree guy and page quality makes a big difference to him). But he did say the books were beautiful. So basically, you are getting a great eye appeal book with a lower grade (because of the page quality).

Nice way to build a beautiful collection at discount prices.

Regarding the Avengers #1 in CGC 9.4.

The price is WAY TOO HIGH, based on comparable sales (and it has Cr/Ow pages). I'm pretty sure PCMint had a copy a year or two ago and was only asking around $25K (and you know his list prices start high).

Regarding Doug's site, or ComicLink or a dealers site, I have no desire to start a discussion on a book if it's price 50-100% higher than I think it will eventually sell for.

So basically, you are getting a great eye appeal book with a lower grade (because of the page quality).

Several of the Mannarino books I called CGC about actually pre-graded at 9.2...but ended up being 8.5s because of the page quality. Some of those labeled with Light Tan pages had obviously tanned exterior covers, while others looked fresh and without a hint of oxidation...so I think it pays to look at the book for its appeal factor and not rely solely on the label.