• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the highest priced book with a fake SL sig?

5 posts in this topic

Wonder if anyone's got the balls to fake sign a HG  X-Men #1 or the HG like? Seem to be some SL forgery experts here (how the hell one would know I have no clue.). So:

What's the most valuable book (pre-fake SL sig) with a fake SL sig?

Edited by NoMan

Hard to answer your question since it is probably not possible to establish 100% for certain a fake Stan Lee signature. Even the services that authentic signatures (after the fact) rarely say a signature is "fake". Instead they only say it cannot be verified. 

There are a number of AF 15's - including CGC graded - that have non - authenticated Stan Lee signatures. A CGC  6.0 signed in green ink has been on ComicLink a couple of times. Fake signature? IDK. 

For the most part - probably the overwhelming number -  the absolute forgeries seem to be on cheap books.  The scammer buys a book for a couple of bucks, fakes a Stan Lee signature and gets $60 for it on eBay. An easy $50 profit after fees. $2 has turned into $50. A 2500% return on investment.

Few scammers are interested in spending $10,000+ dollars, faking a Stan Lee Signature and then getting $10,500 for the book. That is way to much $$ up front, way to little return on investment  as far as percentage goes. 

8 hours ago, NoMan said:

Wonder if anyone's got the balls to fake sign a HG  X-Men #1 or the HG like? Seem to be some SL forgery experts here (how the hell one would know I have no clue.). So:

What's the most valuable book (pre-fake SL sig) with a fake SL sig?

Why would a forger take the risk? Of 1) producing an obvious forgery thereby ruining an expensive book, and 2) when the object of making $$$ for forgers is taking items of little value and making a 50 times mark up over the cost! Take a bargain box book, forge Stan Lee and get $25 or more on ebay = 25 times cost!!!! That's the forger's formula. Turn something of little value into value. Not turn something of already high value in hopes of getting X + 1%. :makepoint:

Edited by James J Johnson

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Why would a forger take the risk? Of 1) producing an obvious forgery thereby ruining an expensive book, and 2) when the object of making $$$ for forgers is taking items of little value and making a 50 times mark up over the cost! Take a bargain box book, forge Stan Lee and get $25 or more on ebay = 25 times cost!!!! That's the forger's formula. Turn something of little value into value. Not turn something of already high value in hopes of getting X + 1%. :makepoint:

I don't know why stupid people do stupid stuff. Just a question as I was super bored yesterday.

5 hours ago, NoMan said:

I don't know why stupid people do stupid stuff. Just a question as I was super bored yesterday.

But forgers think they have a  :idea:  .

They don't realize how stupid it can be and to what extent that stupidity may impact their future. That's the stupidity. Not putting the ink on the paper. The complete disassociation with just how their fraud may impact them later on.

I've talked to forgers. People that have finally leveled with me after they knew I was the real deal and there was no explaining away this or that forgery of a signature that I knew like my own. I've listened to all different kinds of rationales, none of which I've ever heard detailed or even intimated that had anything to do with taking something of value and making it a tad bit more valuable, which typically costs a lot more money than taking something without value and turning it into gold.