• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Punishment bidding - justified or not?

Punishment bidding - is it justified?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Punishment bidding - is it justified?

46 posts in this topic

Given the hoopla in the "jgreen7472 is a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person" thread, what is your view on "punishment bidding" (the practice of bidding up an auction item for the primary purpose of making the high bidder pay more for the item than he/she otherwise would have)?

Gene, I realize you're just running the pole, so this isn't intended for you.

I just wanted to say again(on a less congested thread) that I don't see how it can really be a "punishment" if they placed their max bids themselves, knowing full well they were committing themselves to paying that amount. While it is a little vindictive to up someones bids for the sake of it, they're still responsible for it at the end of the day.

Slamming someone with "punishment" bids is A ok in my book. Just like AK said, they placed a proxy bid with the maximum amout that they are willing to pay so it is not really a "punishment." tongue.gif

Well it has been fun but back to ebay for some snipin and punishing! How about the ethics of sniping? Why doesn't some wuss get on here and cry about the amoral snipers? But that guy who bid first really wanted that book - and that dirty despicable sniper stole it! heavens forfend!

Indeed, all is fair in love & war!!!

Yep, I've learned my lesson! Screw the rest! If I want the book, you better snipe big! wink.gif

I say, don't just snipe them til' their eyes bleed. Offer to meet them in a Death Match while holding a bag with $50 Large in it as well!!!! shocked.gif Conflict and violence, can be a GOOD thing. It cuts right through the bologna...it defines!!! laugh.gif This country was BUILT on violence, (NO, not violins....VIOLENCE!) heh-heh!

That's the millenium mark! Maybe cgc should do no-prizes.

Oh yeah! Silly me. Actually, I got my prize earlier from the tree-hugging, leaf-eating beatniks in the green thread--a 1 star reduction in my rating!!! I'm touched....

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

get over there to that Green thread and let some of those weenies have it! I love folks when they start waxing moralistic. According to them any sort of bidding strategy us amoral or something - unsportsmanlike - uncouth - not cricket - not Marquis of Queensbury rules! Have these people never heard of Vince Lombardi?