• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rick and Morty???

28 posts in this topic

I'm just baffled.  I collect The Walking Dead, and TWD #1 is upheld as the premier (top $) regular issue Modern Era book.   (Ignoring crazy variant prices).   Sort of the blue chip stock of comics from the last 20 years.   So I have no idea about this Rick and Morty thing.  Maybe it is entertaining but TWD was only a 7K print run and I'll bet 4 years in it was $200 and not $2,000.    If someone collects these, it would be great to hear from you!

I don’t see the market crashing like it did in the 90s. Collectors are smarter and with movies driving things, I think comics will continue to do fine.

as mentioned though people can and always have asked whatever they want in some cases. Every day I chuckle at asking prices on eBay. That being said I do know Rick and Morty has a huge following and certain issues have some major value. I know nothing about the print runs though.

6 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Maybe it is entertaining but TWD was only a 7K print run

Nope.

and I'll bet 4 years in it was $200 and not $2,000.

Different market at that time, whether you believe people are paying those prices for R&M or not.

5 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Nope.

Different market at that time, whether you believe people are paying those prices for R&M or not.

What his nope?  That Rick and Morty is entertaining or TWD 1 First Edition had 7,000 issues?  The latter is a fact.

5 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No.

I am confused this is in question.  There is documentation from distribution that TWD 1 had roughly 7,100 issues printed.  And that is split between 2 variants - black label and white label but CGC found out about this too late to make it a criteria.  Very little were pre-ordered.  It was an obscure book from a new publisher as Image was only 5 years old at the time.

I am confused this is in question.  There is documentation from distribution that TWD 1 had roughly 7,100 issues printed.  And that is split between 2 variants - black label and white label but CGC found out about this too late to make it a criteria.  Very little were pre-ordered.  It was an obscure book from a new publisher as Image was only 5 years old at the time.

Estimated copies distributed to North American comic shops in the release month is NOT print run.

It certainly wasn't a hugely hyped series from a mega-popular creator/team, but how had Image only been around for 5 years in 2003? ???

5 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Where?

:popcorn:

No.

1992 --> 2003 ≠ 5 years.

I stand corrected.  I thought Image had their 20th Anniversary about the same time TWD did 15th.   Which is still an irrelevant fact here about why a 3 year old book is $3,000.  No one can seem to explain why.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Estimated copies distributed to North American comic shops in the release month is NOT print run.

It certainly wasn't a hugely hyped series from a mega-popular creator/team, but how had Image only been around for 5 years in 2003? ???

I got the Image dates wrong - my bad a explained above.

Well the book was only in English and only distributed in North America so let's start there.  Are you saying this number is not accurate?   Even Kirkman once said the circulation was about 7,000 copies and that he wished he had kept more (I'm sure!).  

https://walkingdead.fandom.com/wiki/Issue_1

You can argue maybe there are a few more issues but is still ~7,500ish.

Is Rick and Morty still a thing?

I picked up a couple early issues years ago, and then I saw it was selling hot but I never got around to doing anything with them. 

The show is... ok (IMO). I've watched maybe a dozen episodes, I can only take it in small doses. 

16 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

I stand corrected.  I thought Image had their 20th Anniversary about the same time TWD did 15th.   Which is still an irrelevant fact here about why a 3 year old book is $3,000.  No one can seem to explain why.

It's not a $3k book until someone buys it for that much.

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

It's not a $3k book until someone buys it for that much.

Okay, then how about asking $5,000? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rick-And-Morty-1-CGC-9-8-White-Pages-First-Printing-HTF-1A/292726054796?hash=item4427d51f8c:g:DMYAAOSwX6dbmpIU

Makes that $3,000 book seem quite a bargain now doesn't it? :grin:

Edited by jcjames