• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicSupply Grading Contest Round 9

158 posts in this topic

Hey, look at my stats in Hobgoblins chart........I've been off by 2 grades or more in 5 rounds but have managed to compile a 5-1-2 record. Strange contest. confused-smiley-013.gif

To answer your earlier question:

I was pushed down to the losers bracket way back in round two and have dug in my heels ever since without any byes, or opponents that never showed up and didn't submit a grade, thus granting a defacto bye.

I didn't keep track of who had byes in the losers bracket because evey round new people move down into my bracket or drop down to the mega-losers bracket.

BTW-

Is there anyone left here in the loser bracket that got here in round one?

Just shovel that "Byes mean nothing" BS back the other way Zip.

I know it's your MO to "restate" what others have written to your advantage, but don't put words in my mouth. I never said BYES mean "nothing." What I said precisely was:

The fact of the matter is that a BYE helps for ONE round.... ONE rung of the ladder. No one is going to scale to the top based on the advantages of ONE bye.

I said this for the express reason of someone, that is, YOU, trying to taint OF's well-deserved win.

regards - Steve

Say Russel...

Are the results for your contest for July (17th?) posted at your site by now so we can check to see if we won anything?

Also, please note that, as I said in the other thread, I've either nailed the grade or been under (sometimes significantly under) on all eight rounds. Therefore, you should all buy my raw books. grin.gif

Any raw Bronze Hulks or Fantastic Four? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just an FYI that rather than deal with the lynch mob that surely awaits me and this Bye, I have withdrawn from the contest.

So you can all put away your torches and pitchforks. I'm done. insane.gif

Just an FYI that rather than deal with the lynch mob that surely awaits me and this Bye, I have withdrawn from the contest.

Mister consistant! mad.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

Just shut-up and do your best.

The odds are fair.

There should be about 16-20 people left in the last two brackets after this round and everyone has the same shot at the last two spots.

Well maybe those of us still in the losers bracket have a little better shot since we get one more loss before we are eliminated.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thought you didn't want to be known as a quitter? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey, look at my stats in Hobgoblins chart........I've been off by 2 grades or more in 5 rounds but have managed to compile a 5-1-2 record. Strange contest. confused-smiley-013.gif

To answer your earlier question:

I was pushed down to the losers bracket way back in round two and have dug in my heels ever since without any byes, or opponents that never showed up and didn't submit a grade, thus granting a defacto bye.

I didn't keep track of who had byes in the losers bracket because evey round new people move down into my bracket or drop down to the mega-losers bracket.

BTW-

Is there anyone left here in the loser bracket that got here in round one?

Actually, I was just asking out of curiousity....it wasn't meant to posit any theories or devalue anyone's efforts. I repeat....it's a wacky contest......entertaining for sure, but wacky.

Quit....rather than prove the advantage of a single 'bye' by coming back & winning the whole thing? confused-smiley-013.gif

sleeping.gif

You're kidding right? You LIVE for the torches and pitchforks and could only have made this decison to maximize the toasting and skewering directed at you. Come on Joe, get your azz back in here and take your BYE like a MAN!

Red

Losers Bracket

#3 vs #15

#21 vs #30

#31 vs #36

#40 vs #44

#53 vs #56

Mega Losers Bracket

#5 vs #7

#12 vs #17

#19 vs #24

#26 vs #33

#35 vs #37

#38 vs #43

#50 vs #52

#28 Automatic Bye smile.gif

Just for the record, interpret this anyway you want.........4 of the 10 players left in the Losers Bracket have received byes....or 40%. 45% if you count one of my opponents not entering a grade, (sorry Eddly) which has the same effect. 0% of the players in the Mega Losers Bracket have received a bye in a previous round (not counting JC). I think there is no refuting the advantage of receiving a Bye.

10 total Byes have been issued to players in the previous 8 rounds (not counting JC). 4 of those 10 are among the 10 left in the highest currently contested bracket.

With that said.....ON WITH THE CONTEST!

Dead-On Red

Losers Bracket

#3 vs #15

#21 vs #30

#31 vs #36

#40 vs #44

#53 vs #56

Mega Losers Bracket

#5 vs #7

#12 vs #17

#19 vs #24

#26 vs #33

#35 vs #37

#38 vs #43

#50 vs #52

#28 Automatic Bye smile.gif

Just for the record, interpret this anyway you want.........4 of the 10 players left in the Losers Bracket have received byes....or 40%. 45% if you count one of my opponents not entering a grade, (sorry Eddly) which has the same effect. 0% of the players in the Mega Losers Bracket have received a bye in a previous round (not counting JC). I think there is no refuting the advantage of receiving a Bye.

10 total Byes have been issued to players in the previous 8 rounds (not counting JC). 4 of those 10 are among the 10 left in the highest currently contested bracket.

With that said.....ON WITH THE CONTEST!

Dead-On Red

Ya, Ya, what he said! I shouldn't be in this mega loser bracket!!! Why, oh why won't they give me a bye! frown.gif

Round 1: #53 vs #54

Round 2: #53 vs #56

Round 3: #53 vs #50

Round 4: #53 vs #56

Round 5: #53 vs #51

Round 6: #53 vs #51

Round 7: #53 vs #1

Round 8: #53 vs #50

Round 9: #53 vs #56 sleeping.gif

Warlord, my old nemesis... we meet again. devil.gif

After tying Donut for the last 4 rounds, hopefully YOU will have the good grace to sucumb to the cold embrace of grading contest death! grin.gif

You LIVE for the torches and pitchforks and could only have made this decison to maximize the toasting and skewering directed at you.

Not at all. I just see no positive outcome, as I either lose or win with the advantage of a Bye and get roasted for months. No reason to play anymore. confused-smiley-013.gif

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly...who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt, 1910