• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not ANOTHER Action #1....

42 posts in this topic

...a Mastro auction, for $1.25 million dollars... and the card is TRIMMED

Okay, hammer, now I really feel bad you were pissed at me. I can never understand why the fact that this was trimmed from an uncut sheet never bothers anyone!!! It keeps selling for more and crazier money!

No, you don't understand what I mean. The card is TRIMMED, but not from an uncut sheet. For all we know, T206s weren't PRINTED on sheets, but possibly spools, like carnival tickets. NO ONE has in their collection a T206 card that is offcenter with ANOTHER PLAYER SHOWING on either the left or right, giving creedence to this theorey. NO ONE has an uncut sheet. There's that beat up Wagner Proof strip of 5 players, but that is the exception rather than the rule, if it actually IS a VINTAGE proof item and not just a construct, created in the 60s to 80s, just like the DOYLE, Nat. hands over head variation that were only ever "found" by Larry Fritsch and nobody else it seems and just like most of the Snodgrass, No 'S' variation with the eradicated letter. When a T206 is O.C. enough top to bottom for another card to be seen, it's ALWAYS THE SAME PLAYER, SAME POSE!!!!

The Wagner was approx an EX to EX/MT with 1 wavy, worn edge. This card has a long history with PHOTOGRAPHIC record. A xerox HAS been seen by more than one who traded or middled that card, and it was by NO means NM, let alone NM/MT. Years later, here it is, graded '8' NM/MT by PSA with four razor sharp edges. The first major proponent of this trimmed Wagner theorey, as far as I know, was J.Scotty Elkins, a very knowledgeable pre-1920 Vintage card collector with an EXTENSIVE knowledge of all T and E cards. He wrote about this on the old Vintage Baseball card Forum and was ridiculed by PSA supporters. He was 100% correct. And the card WOULD sell for MORE, if it didn't have the stigma attached to it, eliminating MANY of the baseball card hobby heavyweights from bidding on it.

SO it was only trimmed to get rid of worn edges, as in restored? The story I heard was from the head guy at Fleer in the early 90s after its first big auction sale (I think before it was given away as a prize in a contest. If you said his name I might remember it. I had heard of him but dont remember) Is this the same card you are talking about. The phrase he used was cut out from a sheet, not necessarily a 100 card sheet like later on...

I'm talking about a Xerox that was taken ca. 1981 when in the possession of Lou Lipset. Back then, dealers routinely sent photocopies of cards by fax to illustrate a card's condition (no scanners/digital cameras using email attachments). The card sold for $20 to $25K back then. This card may have been conserved by Graphics Conservatory in Chicago sometime in the last decade (they DID do a similar Wagner, if not this same one).

I was surfing ebay for Golden Age comics and came across this Action #1, And I just knew you cats would be all over this one, then I came to the forum and sure enough, nothing gets past this group. Kudos to 'my pics suck because i'm running a scam'.........

>>I think it's real, and that's why I bid $3,000. Unfortunately, "my pics suck because I'm running a scam" has more money than me, and he's still the high bidder. D'oh!

Yeah, and then the guy deletes the high-bid with 24 hours, 10 seconds left and you're the high bidder with no way to retract. In the very least you'll eat a negative and maybe get in trouble with EBay.

This guy may be smarter than you think. grin.gif

Same card, with the same "illustrious" checkered history. ANYTHING that can be done to a comic can be done to a card, and even more-so to a CARD! In-painting, airbrushing, moving borders, trimming, rebuilding corners, re-stenciling letters, cleaning/pressing, bleaching, crease removal, STRETCHING..and MANY of THESE Frankenstein monsters reside in PSA holders. SGC is light years ahead of PSA in detecting these procedures, or not slabbing them when aware of it.

Well, don't be upset guys, you can now pay a couple of grand for this one:

Action #1

At least this guys got good feedback, he wouldnt try a scam would he??? Especially as he is so up on the subject, anyone who sells painted plates knows best.