• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Artist - Differing Notes

6 posts in this topic

Maybe we can use this thread for similar questions. If not, let it slide to the Phantom Zone. crazy.gif

Gerber cites this Spook 30 as an LB Cole cover, but see no signature on the cover. Certainly has the Cole "look". Overstreet and GCD list this as a Disbrow cover (GCD contributor may have gotten this from Overstreet?).

So - Cole or Disbrow?

spook30.jpg

The main human figure certainly has the Disbrow look and not the Cole look and I don't see much Cole in the floating heads either and so would lean towards the Disbrow attribution rather than Cole myself.

Also, I would not include the lack of signature as a strike against this being Cole since it feels like Cole would have put his signature along a flame right where the text box is at bottom right.

I'm not positive about this one. This image is featured in a story in Blue Bolt Weird Tales #114 ("Swamp Spirit" cover).

Keep in mind that the Blue Bolt #114 cover is a copy of a Disbrow image in the same book. It's entirely possible that Spook #30 is another Cole copy of a Disbrow image.

However, I agree that this cover doesn't have much of a Cole look to it. The skulls don't look at all like Cole skulls. Compare to the skulls on Blue Bolt #111, #113, #115 and #116 (pull out your Gerbers!). I'm leaning toward this one not being by Cole. But why is that? Why would Cole do every other Star cover except this one?

Why would Cole do every other Star cover except this one?

I think it is a rare variant. Hmmm...skull...flames. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif A Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider prototype!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK - seriously - I meant "palette" when I said "look" - I just couldn't remember how to spell "palette". sorry.gif