• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auction Anxiety.

5 posts in this topic

I have some books up for auction. I'll be happy if I get $300 for them. I think they will do closer to four, but three will satisfy me. So I am watching them and they were at $276 on Wednesday and I was happy. Looked Thursday night and they were at $277. They have not moved since then. I know there will be much more bidding as it closes next week but its just amazing how often bidding peaks just before my goal and I go through days of unneeded anxiety only to have the books do pretty much what I expected. 

The same thing happens when I play cards. I'll set a point where I will cash out. Say its $300 for the day. I cant tell you how many times I get to  $285-295 only to hit a losing lull and either never get there or spend an extra two hours to get that extra win.

16 hours ago, shadroch said:

I have some books up for auction. I'll be happy if I get $300 for them. I think they will do closer to four, but three will satisfy me. So I am watching them and they were at $276 on Wednesday and I was happy. Looked Thursday night and they were at $277. They have not moved since then. I know there will be much more bidding as it closes next week but its just amazing how often bidding peaks just before my goal and I go through days of unneeded anxiety only to have the books do pretty much what I expected. 

The same thing happens when I play cards. I'll set a point where I will cash out. Say its $300 for the day. I cant tell you how many times I get to  $285-295 only to hit a losing lull and either never get there or spend an extra two hours to get that extra win.

Whatchya selling and where do I find it? 

For auctions online, I firmly decide exactly the maximum I will pay, and then I snipe my bid during the last 5 seconds.   And it usually seems other people bid then too, and the final price is way more than it was 5 minutes before the auction ended.  So to help with anxiety, just don't even look at the price until the auction is over.