• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tape pull? Tear seal?

21 posts in this topic

Hey guys, take a gander at this book I'm thinking of making a play for...

http://www.comiclink.com/./itemdetail.as...3DASC&id=607949

What do you guys make of that mark on the right side of the book? that's definitely a a tape pull, yes yes? I'm guessing it's not a seal as it looks more like tape to me and there's no such notation on the label...what do ya'll think?

Mulling this book over, but I wouldn't be too heartbroken if I got scooped, either. I'm trying to figure out how much that pull/seal irks me, a lot or a little. How annoying that such an amazing book got jacked up thanks to a guy who didn't remove the tape first!! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Are you talking about the two tears and crease on the right edge? Or am I missing something confused.gif

I think we're looking at the same spot....if you look at the word "comics" in the logo, then pan all the way to the right edge, that's where I'm talking about. So that looks more like two tears and a crease to you, eh? See, I was thinking it looks like a tape pull.....two unsealed tears and a crease I could live with a little more easily...

If there was a tear seal on that book CGC would have given it a purple restored label. Call CGC with the serial # on the slab and they will give you the notes.

Are you talking about the two tears and crease on the right edge? Or am I missing something confused.gif

I think we're looking at the same spot....if you look at the word "comics" in the logo, then pan all the way to the right edge, that's where I'm talking about. So that looks more like two tears and a crease to you, eh? See, I was thinking it looks like a tape pull.....two unsealed tears and a crease I could live with a little more easily...

i don't think it's a tape pull...the black inside the "box" formed by the three lines is identical to the black outside of it, which isn't something i would see happening in a tape pull...it's an odd set of creases to be sure, considering it doesn't look like that vertical one extends past the two tears...

two tears were first, and then at some point, the book got creased there between them. that's my opinion, bolstered by some examinations via photoshop.

here's an image reversed which shows the lack of extended creasing and gives a good look at the colour values...

rad177d5200546165828copy9wi.gif

funny but I never saw "tape" until you mentioned it... but I think its 2 tears and a fold. Ive got some books like that, where pressure was put on an edge and the paper just tore in two spots around the pressure, and eventually got bent back. Happens on a kinds dry, brittle cover stock..

If there was a tear seal on that book CGC would have given it a purple restored label. Call CGC with the serial # on the slab and they will give you the notes.

Not always...with small amounts of glue, CGC sometimes still gives the blue label on GA books (I've got a couple of those).

But I think I probably will call for notes. thumbsup2.gif

I also have a couple of books with blue label and glue but they are both noted as having the glue on the spine and the note appears right above the PQ on the label. I think something as big as what you are seeing on the comiclink book would show up on the slab label if it were tape or a seal.

Just my opinion.

I also have a couple of books with blue label and glue but they are both noted as having the glue on the spine and the note appears right above the PQ on the label. I think something as big as what you are seeing on the comiclink book would show up on the slab label if it were tape or a seal.

Just my opinion.

You may be right. I'll give Sarasota a call shortly and see what I can figure out...

Hey guys, take a gander at this book I'm thinking of making a play for...

http://www.comiclink.com/./itemdetail.as...3DASC&id=607949

What do you guys make of that mark on the right side of the book? that's definitely a a tape pull, yes yes? I'm guessing it's not a seal as it looks more like tape to me and there's no such notation on the label...what do ya'll think?

Mulling this book over, but I wouldn't be too heartbroken if I got scooped, either. I'm trying to figure out how much that pull/seal irks me, a lot or a little. How annoying that such an amazing book got jacked up thanks to a guy who didn't remove the tape first!! Christo_pull_hair.gif

It is neither. What you are seeing is two edge tears and the color-breaking crease between them from where the flap of paper used to be folded over.

Not always...with small amounts of glue, CGC sometimes still gives the blue label on GA books (I've got a couple of those).

But I think I probably will call for notes. thumbsup2.gif

Naturally what you say is true

but they ALWAYS note the glue

even when the label's blue.

And now I bid you adieu

hi.gif

It is neither. What you are seeing is two edge tears and the color-breaking crease between them from where the flap of paper used to be folded over.

thumbsup2.gif

Mornin', Fuelie! hi.gif

[still haven't read through all of the TOS you sent me. shy.gif]

thumbsup2.gif

I would agree- and it's noticable enough that that book is a 7.0 - regardless of how sweet the rest of it looks (there is still corner rounding at the URC, and possible impact bend on the LLC, and is what is the white hair looking curlicue above the tears?). If you are still looking for an minimum 8.0 run then I would pass ( unless you are just buying the label). If those late numbers are as hard to find in HG as I've read, then maybe buy it as a place holder, but don't offer anymore than you'd pay for a 7.0.

thumbsup2.gif

I would agree- and it's noticable enough that that book is a 7.0 - regardless of how sweet the rest of it looks (there is still corner rounding at the URC, and possible impact bend on the LLC, and is what is the white hair looking curlicue above the tears?). If you are still looking for an minimum 8.0 run then I would pass ( unless you are just buying the label). If those late numbers are as hard to find in HG as I've read, then maybe buy it as a place holder, but don't offer anymore than you'd pay for a 7.0.

That was roughly my thinking, too. It looks a tad overgraded, but as you say, those later books are really tough, so my interest always perks up when they appear.

Just buying the label! 893whatthe.gif Gimme some more cred than that! tongue.gifpoke2.gif(Seriously though, if I just wanted to do that, I wouldn't have even started this thread).

Still haven't gotten off my duff to call for the notes today, but I think my plan will be roughly as follows: see how I make out in the upcoming heritage auction first (they even have a nicer copy of the book in question, but that's not what I'm going to gun for). If things don't go my way there, I will likely make a play for this book, though my bidding price would be significantly lower than the ask, and might not work out anyways.

I've already made my move on an All-Star in the sig auction , so we'll see what happens in about 20 days. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Mornin', Fuelie! hi.gif

[still haven't read through all of the TOS you sent me. shy.gif]

hi.gifflowerred.gif