• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing staple and incorrect staple placement--and grading help?

5 posts in this topic

I recently won an auction.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6545473531

and, although it wasn't disclosed and apparently my eyes weren't working when I bid, the top staple is missing "and" the bottom staple is up a LOT higher than it should have been. On the VERY top of the spine are two staple holes, but when I look at the centerfold crease there are "no" staple holes. Therefore, I can't figure out if the staple was ever there or not or, if it was, if it may have even fallen out at the factory due to the fact that it apparently didn't go all the way through to where it was supposed to connect. In addition, I'd like a grading estimate if I could. It said 5.5, but I'm not buying that high of a grade with its staple problem. The back is perfect, the pages are pretty darned close to white, and the only real flaw other than the staple issue is that mess in the upper right hand corner of the cover, but even then it's not that bad at all. The cover is probably the glossiest cover I've had for such an old book. So, what do you think? 2.0 or 2.5? Or would this possible lack of "ever" having a staple make it grade higher?

Ah--after reading a bit via Google I see what you mean. I'd still love to know what you might think of the grade, though. Now that I know the staple issue is okay...

FWIW, I agree with the grade that J&S gave it. 5.0.

Ah--after reading a bit via Google I see what you mean. I'd still love to know what you might think of the grade, though. Now that I know the staple issue is okay...

From what I can see, I might go as high as a 4.0/4.5, but the scan is small. J&S typically overgrades by at least a point . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif