• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Minor rant about an eBayer (not eBay)...

31 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That comes with Registered mail, also. You must present ID and sign for registered mail, and you can look up online who signed for it. Check with your post office. 

CGC sends me my slabs registered mail. They have never asked me for ID. 

4 hours ago, Turtle said:

This is a bit of a nitpick, but you told the guy the cost covers both Priority Mail and Registered Mail.  That's kinda like saying it covers Media Mail and Express Overnight...they are two different services and they're mutually exclusive.  It's either one or the other.  Now you can use a Priority box to send something via Registered Mail, but you're still sending it via Registered Mail. 

But I agree with the others, block the guy immediately and move on.  Definitely seems like trouble.  I generally offer free shipping on all my items just to avoid these kinds of complaints.  I figure people will bid a bit more on an item with free shipping which should cover the cost without any of the risk of these crazies who dissect every penny of the shipping cost. 

I just sent a Registered Mail package last week and this is not true.  The first charge is how you want to ship - priority, ground (not sure but maybe even Express is available).  Then there is an uplift to that for Registered and the Insurance.  So you really can decide to ship Registered Priority vs Ground.  I shipped Priority and my Registered package got to CGC in 3 days.

2 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

I just sent a Registered Mail package last week and this is not true.  The first charge is how you want to ship - priority, ground (not sure but maybe even Express is available).  Then there is an uplift to that for Registered and the Insurance.  So you really can decide to ship Registered Priority vs Ground.  I shipped Priority and my Registered package got to CGC in 3 days.

That was my experience. Also, I've had registered packages arrive in 3 days... but... also in 13 days. Once I had a package that showed "left Orlando FL" for 4 days. I think it's just because it's a whole separate track that has to be done manually.

Just now, oldrover said:
20 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That comes with Registered mail, also. You must present ID and sign for registered mail, and you can look up online who signed for it. Check with your post office. 

CGC sends me my slabs registered mail. They have never asked me for ID. 

If your post office has never asked you for your ID when signing for Registered mail packages, they either 1. know who you are by sight, or 2 aren't following "the rules." 

They're supposed to ask for ID. That's part of what makes Registered mail so secure, and why there's so much additional charge. If they deliver the package to someone who doesn't present ID, they're liable. If they deliver to someone who is not the addressee, or the addressee's agent, they're liable. 

However...leave it to the USPS to fiddle with things. Here are the current (which conflicts with practice in the very recent past!) DMM regulations on the matter:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/503.htm#ep1238627

"Registered Mail provides the sender with a mailing receipt and, upon request (see 1.8), electronic verification that an article was delivered or that a delivery attempt was made. Customers may obtain a record of delivery (which includes the recipient’s signature) by purchasing a return receipt (6.0), at the time of mailing. Customers may direct delivery of Registered Mail only to the addressee (or addressee’s authorized agent) using Registered Mail Restricted Delivery (2.1.4)."

(emphasis added)

Within the very recent past...as in, a month or two ago...you were able to look up a registered mail number and see who signed for a registered package and when.

Now...surprise, surprise...they're requiring you to buy an ADDITIONAL SERVICE to get that information.

So...if you want a Registered mail delivered to a specific person(s), you now have to purchase an additional service..."restricted delivery"....which is redundant, since non-restricted delivery of Registered mail defeats the purpose of Registered mail...and if you want to obtain proof of who signed for it, you have to purchase yet another additional service..."return receipt"...whereas, up until the very recent past, that service CAME WITH the purchase of Registered mail service.

In other words...they're forcing customers to buy additional services which are REDUNDANT. It does not matter if I purchase "restricted delivery" or not; if a clerk delivers a Registered package to someone OTHER THAN the addressee (or their agent), the USPS is liable. That's the entire point of Registered mail. I bet they haven't been challenged on this yet. 

Leeches and fools.

Just for reference, here is the OLD Domestic Mail Manual, with the relevant information highlighted:

"Registered mail provides the sender with a mailing receipt and, upon request, electronic verification that an article was delivered or that a delivery attempt was made. Customers can retrieve the delivery status in three ways: (1) over the Internet at www.usps.com by entering the article number shown on the mailing receipt; (2) by telephone at 1-800-222-1811; or (3) by bulk electronic file transfer for mailers who provide an electronic manifest to the Postal Service. A delivery record (which includes the signature) is maintained by the Postal Service for a specified period of time."

https://pe.usps.com/Archive/HTML/DMMArchive20030810/S911.htm

Also....the Registered mail cap for insurance value used to be $25,000. Now it's $50,000, but can be used for more expensive items. Oh, you don't get insurance past $50,000...they just charge you more to "handle" it.

13 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Yes, the lovely new "USPS Retail Ground" service. This is apparently the latest "hot new service" at the USPS, which is just the old Parcel post with a new name. It's supposed to be "cheaper" than Priority mail, but the savings leave a lot to be desired. As with Parcel post:

"The general public (other than publishers or registered news agents) may mail copies of Periodicals publications at USPS Retail Ground prices."

...which has always been the case.

46 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Within the very recent past...as in, a month or two ago...you were able to look up a registered mail number and see who signed for a registered package and when.

Now...surprise, surprise...they're requiring you to buy an ADDITIONAL SERVICE to get that information.

Well, I do buy that service for the expensive books. It's worth it.

1 hour ago, BladeTX said:

Registered mail is only available for Priority and First Class mailing. First Class is only available for packages under 16 oz. in weight. 

7 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Registered mail is only available for Priority and First Class mailing. First Class is only available for packages under 16 oz. in weight. 

This is correct @BladeTX@oldrover

The USPS could have come up with 2 new tiers for "Registered under 16oz" and "Registered any weight".  Instead, they just add the "Registered" to one of the two options that are already have those limitations to keep it simple. 

What are the characteristics of a Priority package?  2-3 day domestic shipping time, $50 built-in insurance, and tracking.  Once you upgrade to "Registered", tracking is still there but the other 2 criteria go out the window.  They don't guarantee a delivery window on registered packages and you have to declare a value for coverage.  So while it can be sent in a priority box via Registered mail, the only similarity your package has to a typical Priority package is the tracking. 

Express is not an option for Registered Mail.  As we mentioned before, guaranteed delivery windows are out of the question with Registered Mail. 

So yes, the receipt will say either "Priority" or "First Class" on your registered receipt, but all that really tells you is whether or not the package is under 16oz.  It's still classified as Registered Mail.

What domestic mail classes and services can be sent as Registered Mail?

Domestic Registered Mail is only available for First-Class Mail®,  First-Class Package Service-Commercial™, First-Class Package Service - Retail and Priority Mail® service items. Return Receipt (both at Retail and Electronic), Signature Confirmation™, and Collect on Delivery (COD) service are available with Registered Mail items.

1 hour ago, oldrover said:
2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Well, I do buy that service for the expensive books. It's worth it.

I don't blame you. What the USPS is now doing is piecemealing every aspect of their service. "Oh, you want that to be insured? Extra fee. Oh, and you also want to find out who signed for it? Extra fee. Oh, and you also want to make sure it only goes to the person to whom it's addressed? Extra fee."

Eventually, they're going to end up charging fees for every aspect of delivery. "Oh, you want the carrier to knock on the door? Extra fee. Oh, you want the post office to hold your package for you to pick up? Extra fee/hour. Oh, you want the carrier to fill out a slip letting you know there's a package waiting for you? Extra fee. Oh, you want post office to make sure your package isn't crushed in transit? Extra fee. Oh, you want the clerk to carry your package from the window to the sorting room? Extra fee."....etc, etc, etc.

27 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I don't blame you. What the USPS is now doing is piecemealing every aspect of their service. "Oh, you want that to be insured? Extra fee. Oh, and you also want to find out who signed for it? Extra fee. Oh, and you also want to make sure it only goes to the person to whom it's addressed? Extra fee."

This is gonna sound bizarre... but I actually have no problem with that. I'm happy to pay for exactly what I want. As long as I actually GET it, of course. :)

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

This is gonna sound bizarre... but I actually have no problem with that. I'm happy to pay for exactly what I want. As long as I actually GET it, of course. :)

There's nothing bizarre about it. The point is that all of that USED to be included, and now it's not.