• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover spine split and loose pages and centerfold question

3 posts in this topic

I have a question that pertains to the spine split (Completely split so that the cover is in two parts) of the cover. Overstreet's guide has me a little confused here. For a 1.0 it looks as though a book cannot have more than a 2/3rd book length split. Does that mean the book itself "aside from" the cover, or is that including the cover? Because a 1.0 also states that the cover can be detached and that a back cover can be missing. Well, if the back cover can be missing, and the cover can be detached then I would assume that would mean a split cover is acceptable in a 1.0 grade. Yet, that whole "2/3rd cover split only allowed" statement makes everything conflict, especially since a .5 clearly states that a full book-length split is allowed. Yet, like a 1.0, it doesn't say whether that applies to the entire book and cover, or just the book.

My next question is the following. What is the highest grade allowed for a comic that has the following:

1. Loose wraps (1st comic example)

or

2. Split "single" loose pages that were part of a wrap (2nd comic example)

?

I have Overstreet's Grading Guide but, well, it isn't "that" specific when it concerns these things, so I'd love to hear some feedback of others to form some kind of consensus here. Thanks!

I have a question that pertains to the spine split (Completely split so that the cover is in two parts) of the cover. Overstreet's guide has me a little confused here. For a 1.0 it looks as though a book cannot have more than a 2/3rd book length split. Does that mean the book itself "aside from" the cover, or is that including the cover? Because a 1.0 also states that the cover can be detached and that a back cover can be missing. Well, if the back cover can be missing, and the cover can be detached then I would assume that would mean a split cover is acceptable in a 1.0 grade. Yet, that whole "2/3rd cover split only allowed" statement makes everything conflict, especially since a .5 clearly states that a full book-length split is allowed. Yet, like a 1.0, it doesn't say whether that applies to the entire book and cover, or just the book.

A book in that grade (or any grade actually) will have some of the defects listed but not necessarily all of them. The cover can be detached, or attached but split 2/3 of the length, or attached but with a significant amount of the back cover missing, or attached with long splits and chunks missing, etc. Note that a comic with merely a detached cover can be as high as 2.0.

My next question is the following. What is the highest grade allowed for a comic that has the following:

1. Loose wraps (1st comic example)

or

2. Split "single" loose pages that were part of a wrap (2nd comic example)

?

I have Overstreet's Grading Guide but, well, it isn't "that" specific when it concerns these things, so I'd love to hear some feedback of others to form some kind of consensus here. Thanks!

#1 implies that the cover is detached as well, so couldn't grade higher than 2.0, lacking other significant defects. #2 is basically a page torn out, but still present. This kind of significant interior damage would also grade no higher than Good 2.0 if no other significant defects are present.

A 3.0 book can have a loose cover, and if you have a GA single staple book that looks like a VF, but the cover has been cleanly seperated from the staple, you probably won't get any arguements if you call it a 4.0. If the cover is split down the spine it is likely no better than a 1.0, though I could see calling it a 1.5 if the book looks sharp and the split clean. A loose page that has been torn out ( as opposed to a loose wrap) is a little tougher to gauge - if the book is pretty much a beater - then maybe 2.0 tops, if it is otherwise a pretty nice looking book, then some sort of qualified grade would be in order.

I wouldn't get too hung up on grading guide particulars when judging low and very low grade books - it's more of an eye-appeal, total package sort of thing as the variety and combination of defects that one finds in low grade books are too numerous to adequately account for in a grading guide.