ASM #238 Overpriced?
3 3

39 posts in this topic

On 11/20/2020 at 2:02 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yes, CPV is the erroneous way some people refer to Canadian Newsstand editions.

I just didn't pick up on it. I would have made the connection had I seen it whether it is correct or not. 8k is a lot where the only difference is a UPC and a price change out. I love this book though and have a 9.8 Newsie and a Direct and my only SS book is a 9.6. The hobgoblin storyline came about at the height of my ASM reading. I enjoyed it but I always imagine Lance Bannon was the HG.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

I just didn't pick up on it. I would have made the connection had I seen it whether it is correct or not. 8k is a lot where the only difference is a UPC and a price change out. I love this book though and have a 9.8 Newsie and a Direct and my only SS book is a 9.6. The hobgoblin storyline came about at the height of my ASM reading. I enjoyed it but I always imagine Lance Bannon was the HG.

I never thought RK to be it from SSM #43. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 4:27 PM, WoWitHurts said:

I just didn't pick up on it. I would have made the connection had I seen it whether it is correct or not. 8k is a lot where the only difference is a UPC and a price change out. I love this book though and have a 9.8 Newsie and a Direct and my only SS book is a 9.6. The hobgoblin storyline came about at the height of my ASM reading. I enjoyed it but I always imagine Lance Bannon was the HG.

Its not just a difference in UPC and a price change out.  Its also about the significantly smaller print run, too.  Think of the difference in price between a CGC 9.8 35 cent price variant Star Wars 1 vs its regular 30 cent counterpart.

While the difference in print run between CPV vs regular cover price editions of ASM 238 isn't as severe, its is still very significant.  and quite frankly, the CPV is harder to find for this book than the other ASM keys from its era.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Its not just a difference in UPC and a price change out.  Its also about the significantly smaller print run, too.  Think of the difference in price between a CGC 9.8 35 cent price variant Star Wars 1 vs its regular 30 cent counterpart.

While the difference in print run between CPV vs regular cover price editions of ASM 238 isn't as severe, its is still very significant.  and quite frankly, the CPV is harder to find for this book than the other ASM keys from its era.  

8k is a lot when you can get the same book without the Canadian price on it for 1/8th the cost. I am just not interested in the Canadian priced books if it costs more than a US version. Apparently 2 people were very interested in it for that auction. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

8k is a lot when you can get the same book without the Canadian price on it for 1/8th the cost. I am just not interested in the Canadian priced books if it costs more than a US version. Apparently 2 people were very interested in it for that auction. 

Some people think it's necessary to have one of every possible version to have a "complete" collection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2020 at 3:08 PM, Lazyboy said:

Donors aren't doctors and FF 252 is the other issue that advertised the Tattooz insert. :baiting:

The Tatooz insert wasn't line-wide? I know Rom 40 had it as well. At least some copies did; I had an extra copy that I included in a lot for sale on eBay, and someone asked me if it had the Tatooz insert. It didn't, but there was no sign of damage from anything being removed. But the copy in my collection did have them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Some people think it's necessary to have one of every possible version to have a "complete" collection.

Yeah. We like what we like. So long as the pocket book allows for it. I think for many our collection reflects our means. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

238 might be overpriced, but as noted, the tatooz issue makes 9.8s harder, although if it i easy enough to switch the out from an FF 238, no big deal. I only think it might be overpriced in that while Hobgoblin was a big spidey nemasis for 50 or so issues after 238, perhaps the biggest during this period, he has kind of faded (and there have been how many versions?) into a second or third tier viillian. I think Rocket Racer is far more important to the Spidey mythos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

8k is a lot when you can get the same book without the Canadian price on it for 1/8th the cost. I am just not interested in the Canadian priced books if it costs more than a US version. Apparently 2 people were very interested in it for that auction. 

Ok, the "rarity" and "variant" chromosome is obviously not strong in you. $8K seems like a lot in general for a comic book that is not historic. That is my comic budget for like 8 years. You can buy a lot of keys, in slabs even, with $8K. But I guess someone out there with the funds has been hunting hard for THAT book and now they have it. If you sold your tech start up for $100 million and are also a comic nerd, then $8K is nothing. I have no idea who is dropping that much loot on a book like that. I "get" someone saving up to spend that on a key book, don't get me wrong, it's the only way you'll get a presentable copy of most of the big key books out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The Tatooz insert wasn't line-wide? I know Rom 40 had it as well. At least some copies did; I had an extra copy that I included in a lot for sale on eBay, and someone asked me if it had the Tatooz insert. It didn't, but there was no sign of damage from anything being removed. But the copy in my collection did have them.

Only ASM and FF advertised the Tattooz on the cover, but some copies of issues from other titles did get them for whatever reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 10:16 AM, the blob said:

238 might be overpriced, but as noted, the tatooz issue makes 9.8s harder, although if it i easy enough to switch the out from an FF 238, no big deal. I only think it might be overpriced in that while Hobgoblin was a big spidey nemasis for 50 or so issues after 238, perhaps the biggest during this period, he has kind of faded (and there have been how many versions?) into a second or third tier viillian. I think Rocket Racer is far more important to the Spidey mythos.

Its actually quite challenging to do without causing spine nicks to your ASM 238.  A professional restorer explained the process to me several years ago, and there's more involved than one might think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Its actually quite challenging to do without causing spine nicks to your ASM 238.  A professional restorer explained the process to me several years ago, and there's more involved than one might think.

If it is done by a pro, can CGC still detect that it was done? I was just curious if anyone has done it. Seen a 9.8 Qual. the other day, and thought this sucks that it is missing the insert.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

If it is done by a pro, can CGC still detect that it was done? I was just curious if anyone has done it. Seen a 9.8 Qual. the other day, and thought this sucks that it is missing the insert.

that's a great question.  If they were able to detect it, I think they'd make a note about it being a "married copy", but I wouldn't know if that would mean a change to the Universal Blue label?  (shrug)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2019 at 10:33 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I picked up an AMS 9.8 WP a few months ago at the going rate.  It was a lot and I don't regret it! I bought it because I wanted it and not as an investment. I looked hard for that issue back in the 80's ( the only other book back then I looked for was TMNT 1 1st print which could never find). Forget an ASM #238 9.8 back then, I couldn't find any copies! Fast forward 30 years plus me getting back into comics, I splurged. I don't think I will sell it anytime soon but what I'm getting at, is it over priced?

It's only over-priced if you sold all three of your copies already . . . .:sorry:

 

lol

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3