• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Heritage resub. Larson Marvel Mystery 7 CGC 8.5-->9.2

32 posts in this topic

>>Didn't say it was a 9.2 but it is definitely a VF+ book and if people want to say it is a F then I am more than happy to pay F prices + a premium for them.

As long as you're talking standard Golden Age comics, and not Larsen's (duh!), then I might have some old foxy books for Guide prices. grin.gif

Foxing isn't regarded as mold. In the stamp trade it is commonly known as rust. It is a deterioration of the paper that is caused through exposure to air as a result of fluctuations in temperature or poor storage. The impacts of foxing can be halted and the paper preserved against further deterioration. Current art preserving techniques (which involves blowing air through the effected paper) can eliminate 90 % of the foxing.

Given the above, I would have no hesitation in purchasing this book and having the bulk of the foxing removed (I would also bet that CGC would not even pick up on it, because there is no alteration structurally to the book, no pressing etc).

Even in its' current condition it is still a sweet book worthy of a VF/VF+.

>>Foxing isn't regarded as mold. In the stamp trade it is commonly known as rust. It is a deterioration of the paper that is caused through exposure to air as a result of fluctuations in temperature or poor storage.

I'm sorry to say that foxing is the residue left from MOLD. Icky, smelly, disgusting MOLD. Usually found in warmer, wetter climates where MOLD grows freely, like FLORIDA. grin.gif

If you're talking semantics, then sure, but foxing is mold, no question about it. It is a residue left by a living organism that is a mold, and doesn't "just happen" out of the blue.

Personally I find it disgusting and if still active, quite dangerous and harmful to surrounding comics.

Your last point is still correct though. Any paper that has foxing should be removed and isolated from the rest. Rust is like a cancer and spreads like wildfire. That is why they make the comment "foxing.....as is very common with the Larsen Pedigree".

The Coinees would LOVE the Larson books. Remember, these are the guys that are always talking about how "beautiful" their 50 cent pieces (worth 51 cents each) are *"toned".

*toned in Coinee dialect: rusted, stained, dirty, etc. wink.gif

If there were a coin Pedigree like the Larsons, the Coinees would lose their minds over it! crazy.gif I think that they should be pitied, not scorned!! laugh.gif

According to NYU: "The stains and spots seen here are the result of fungal activity commonly known as foxing. Foxing typically occurs in late 18th century and 19th century machine-made paper where there are high concentrations of acid and iron. Although experts do not completely understand why foxing occurs, it is clear that foxing, like other fungi, needs a warm, humid environment to grow. A cool, dry library environment will arrest and prevent foxing and other fungal activity."

More on foxing: http://www.octavo.com/collections/marginalia/foxing.html