• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What GOLDEN AGE title would you like to come back?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Recommend reviving 'Space Hawk' but not sure what current artist draws like Wolverton:

CISb4cd.jpg

“Draws like Wolverton”, seriously???:roflmao:

No one before, during or after could draw like Basil Wolverton. He’s about as far as “having your own style” can go in the art field. Genius!

Still your selection of Space Hawk is great. You could take it in a lot of different directions but if you wanted to do something different again like Wolverton was in his time I’d maybe go with a standby in Allred. He’s done space stuff too. Not everyone’s cup of tea but if the point is to make it different....

9F1B8161-EA53-45CE-90D2-31187371B0DC.jpeg.dae073fa015019892bb3b990cc36bbdc.jpegCA3422E2-89FF-4E19-9EE9-F5E0421D14D2.thumb.jpeg.7dec2bc1939860c083d000c3f84afaf6.jpeg91621B71-F0FF-4D78-B909-65F79DE6BCBA.jpeg.b6c17a08e5fbc331ea04e74655f6c680.jpeg7778D130-2E34-409D-981E-5CF6CDFDE0E1.jpeg.eb9e9dad23868e0f1e1b492d65576171.jpegC82CD223-6C51-4CD3-AC6C-5E931F65F409.thumb.jpeg.6905a123d03c0474bbd987b3a1b1aa09.jpeg

Hey guys, my Boy Comics revival (under the name The Crimebusters) is now live on Kickstarter. I don't want to spam the boards too much, so I'll be posting most of the nitty gritty details in the Boy Comics thread momentarily, but if you're interested, here's the link!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thecrimebusters/the-crimebusters-a-mystery-adventure-into-the-supernatural?ref=3mskzg

Thanks!

Edited by Crimebuster

On 5/28/2019 at 11:43 AM, N e r V said:

“Draws like Wolverton”, seriously???:roflmao:

No one before, during or after could draw like Basil Wolverton. He’s about as far as “having your own style” can go in the art field. Genius!

Still your selection of Space Hawk is great. You could take it in a lot of different directions but if you wanted to do something different again like Wolverton was in his time I’d maybe go with a standby in Allred. He’s done space stuff too. Not everyone’s cup of tea but if the point is to make it different....

And that’s interesting, because Novelty Press got letters at the time saying to tone down the fantastical/horror aspect of Spacehawk.

From Target Comics #21 (November, 1941):

1.jpg

Any funny animal title like Ha Ha, Goofy, Coo Coo that were mostly drawn by the great animators of the 40s and have them all drawn by great animators and cartoonist of today like Milton Knight, John Kricfalusi, Jim Woodring, Craig McCraken, Chris Reccardi, Bob Camp etc

18 hours ago, William-James88 said:

It's pretty crazy to me how the best selling book of all time (supposedly when looking at copies sold per issue) is Captain Marvel Jr and yet he has never had his own title since the Golden Age. 

How many copies per issue? I would think Walt Disney's Comics and Stories would hold that record since it was selling over 2 or 3 million copies a month for a couple decades. The Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck titles too were selling over a million a month for many years.

Edited by catman76

46 minutes ago, catman76 said:

How many copies per issue? I would think Walt Disney's Comics and Stories would hold that record since it was selling over 2 or 3 million copies a month for a couple decades. The Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck titles too were selling over a million a month for many years.

Right right, I was only thinking of Superhero comics. And the estimated copies per issue were upwards of 2 million. Makes sense, comics predate television for a scheduled medium of entertainment for kids.

Anyways, now that I think of it, Captain Marvel Adventures had probably more copies per issue than anything we mentionned since Fawcett would brand it with the notion of "largest circulation of any comic magazine" (check the top right corner). 

2550197%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chain

5 hours ago, catman76 said:

I've read that Hopalong Cassidy (Fawcett) was selling up around 3 million copies an issue in the late 40s.