• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: THE ACOLYTE (2023?)
7 7

553 posts in this topic

My partner and I had a discussion on how we were willing to stop this series.
Then it evolved into whether if somehow as an adult we developed selective amnesia ONLY for Star Wars would we enjoy any of the movies or shows if we were to watch / discover them new as adults.
My honest opinion was that I'd probably make it through Episode IV because it is on the list of top movies, but if told that there were eight others in the series (plus shows) I'd probably skip them.

Edited by troydivision1

On 6/27/2024 at 3:15 PM, s-man said:

I'm still waiting for an explanation of how stone can burn (shrug)

On 6/27/2024 at 7:37 PM, s-man said:

Not troubled by it, just was hoping they would chant an explanation

:whistle:

On 6/28/2024 at 2:56 PM, Rodey said:

Still bummed we didn't get to see the Wookie fight. Why do they do Wookies dirty in these series? Remember in Book of Boba Fett when Krrsantan just quietly walked off the scene? Dirty

They are just the sasquatch of Star Wars.

Still better than the care bears of Star Wars..

On 6/28/2024 at 10:23 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

:whistle:

Exactly 

On 6/30/2024 at 8:19 PM, Microchip said:

Has there been any news on Hanna and Barbera estate sueing Disney for last weeks episode?

The direct script rip off from a poorly written Scooby Doo episode looks like an open a shut case!

And they would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you darn meddling kids.

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2024 at 4:13 PM, troydivision1 said:

My partner and I had a discussion on how we were willing to stop this series.
Then it evolved into whether if somehow as an adult we developed selective amnesia ONLY for Star Wars would we enjoy any of the movies or shows if we were to watch / discover them new as adults.
My honest opinion was that I'd probably make it through Episode IV because it is on the list of top movies, but if told that there were eight others in the series (plus shows) I'd probably skip them.

Yep.  I realized this in 1999 when all of the toxic opinions about the prequels started.  You can easily go back and slice Episode IV, V, and VI up into a million pieces about how terrible each one is if you want to, but if you were a kid when you saw them you almost certainly didn't do that and nostalgia prevents the majority of us from doing that.

25 years later I just completely ignore it because doing it or trying to talk people out of doing it is FAR beyond a waste of time.  You can't talk people out of hating something when they're unconsciously determined to recapture the lost innocence of youth when they have the acumen of an adult.

That doesn't mean many of the movies and shows aren't bad; certainly many are.  But as soon as I start getting a whiff of "GEORGE LUCAS KATHLEEN KENNEDY PABLO HIDALGO J.J. ABRAMS RIAN JOHNSON DAVE FILONI JON FAVREAU LESLYE HEADLAND IS MURDERING MY CHILDHOOD!!!" vibes I insta-tune that person out.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 6/30/2024 at 8:19 PM, Microchip said:

Has there been any news on Hanna and Barbera estate sueing Disney for last weeks episode?

The direct script rip off from a poorly written Scooby Doo episode looks like an open a shut case!

On 7/1/2024 at 8:56 AM, Rodey said:

Scooby Doo had light sabers? Zoinks!

On 7/2/2024 at 6:41 AM, RedRaven said:

And they would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you darn meddling kids.

kids.of you enjoyed that just wait until next week!

I agree this show has improved a lot. 

On 7/2/2024 at 6:45 PM, I like pie said:

Another great episode. They'd really have to mess up the last two episodes to sabotage the series. I like where it's going.

I still say that this would be very interesting if this is somehow related to the lineage of the Sith that we are familiar with:

Plageius -> Palpatine / Sideous -> Maul / Dooku / Vader

If they are smart, they tie in the Sith lineage to Darth Krall as well as that opens things up for the period earlier in the High Republic era that the novels/comics/animated shows for kids/etc. are dealing with.

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 12:09 PM, fantastic_four said:

Has previous lore established if Plagueis is even alive at this point?  

In Canon, I believe so. Only his death year is canon (32 BBY). He would be young during this time. Possibly an apprentice to Darth Tenebrous, who is canon, but his species hasn’t been canonized.

In Legends, he’s suspected to have been born between 147-120 BBY. The Acolyte takes place 132 BBY.

This show could ultimately canonize the Darth Plaguis book with Plaguis killing Qimir (who I think is Darth Venamis) at the end of the season. Venamis was trained by Tenebrous as an apprentice outside of the Rule of Two and I guess he could have felt discarded/passed over for Plaguis as Qimir lets on in this most recent episode. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

With that said, I enjoy Qimir’s character and would hate to see him killed off, but it would make a whole lot of sense if my theory of him being Venamis is correct. 

Posted (edited)

If anyone was wondering about the line about Vern getting sick in hyperspace, it’s a nod to the novels. She has some pretty crazy force visions while in hyperspace that leave her drained and unwell.

It’s a rare ability that she never really revealed to others. So, the Jedi/padawan just thinks she get space sick or whatever.  

Edited by awakeintheashes