• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: THE ACOLYTE (2023?)
3 3

306 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2024 at 4:28 PM, Microchip said:

Wow, he nails in for SW key back issue market under the SW tv/movie activity.   The Acolyte has reduced the care-factor to zero for the SW books.    

I dunno, a lot of the drop-offs for which he showed the stats were declines starting along with all the other post-covid drops on comics almost everywhere. 

It's not like there were deep drops in values in the time since "The Gayest Star Wars" show (loudly and proudly) first aired. 

However, it has certainly done ZERO to renew any interest whatsoever in back issue SW books or stories that have been all steadily declining post-covid, which is pretty clear from his video.

IOW, the show's apparently not bringing any new readers/collectors or interest into the OC (original canon) nor the expanded canon. Not even sure if it's even bringing a detectable new-audience to even it's own re-conned story. 

If it were a hit that went off in a new direction (like Mando was, as he rightly points out), SW keys across the board would be bubbling with sales indicating a renewed interest and an invigorated audience eager for the old canon expanded with new stories and interesting characters supported by solid writing, acting and production - none of which is apparently present in "The Acolygbt+" series. 

On 6/15/2024 at 9:33 PM, jcjames said:

IOW, the show's apparently not bringing any new readers/collectors or interest into the OC (original canon) nor the expanded canon. Not even sure if it's even bringing a detectable new-audience to even it's own re-conned story. 

I can say that it is driving interest in the High Republic books and comics. Not sure about secondary market, but there has been an uptick in the HR sub about reading order and stuff. 

On 6/15/2024 at 7:31 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Can’t wait for Season 2, The Space Lesbian Witches Strike Back. 

Doubtful, but we’ve got multiple comic volumes of space lesbian Indiana Jones. It’s possible Doctor Aphra gets her own show at some point given how popular she is. 

On 6/15/2024 at 9:33 PM, jcjames said:

I dunno, a lot of the drop-offs for which he showed the stats were declines starting along with all the other post-covid drops on comics almost everywhere. 

It's not like there were deep drops in values in the time since "The Gayest Star Wars" show (loudly and proudly) first aired. 

Yeah, with few exceptions with for a week-long blip on a random cover, the value of SW books seems to have been dropping for a while from where they were during Covid. This show has nothing to do with it.

Andor didn’t prop up any books, so it’s doubtful this show killed the value of any books. I understand the YouTuber need to get views. Not sure how he makes any sort of income given his per video viewer stats, though. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 6/15/2024 at 9:46 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

He is right! :preach:

Oh Happy Saturday with a fresh new low! Screenshot2024-06-15at8_26_17AM.thumb.png.f8db0c8b1e70104de84536bdcc285a6d.png

I am waiting for all of the Acolyte to drop before binging the first season.

That being said, this guy is clueless about the secondary comic market. I stopped watching after the first minute or minute and a half. He should stick to his media pop culture commentary and leave it at that. This year I have been selling plenty of SW books for strong prices at each local one-day and multi-day show I have set up at (especially Dark Horse SW - those seem to be hot this year for some reason). Most of the keys for 2021-22 peak prices unless in a group discount.

If he starts babbling about a drop in prices from 2021 at some point in his video, maybe he can enlighten us about the impact of Marvel movies on SA Marvel key prices the past 2-3 years as well...............

Edited by kimik

On 6/15/2024 at 7:43 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I can say that it is driving interest in the High Republic books and comics. Not sure about secondary market, but there has been an uptick in the HR sub about reading order and stuff. 

The issue with this series is that it is set at the end of the HR era that has not been introduced in the books or comics yet. That was a huge mistake, IMHO. It looks like DIS/Kennedy chickened out and are trying to tie this to the Skywalker SW-verse without stating it. They should have gone further back to the HR era that they dealing with in the novels and comics - there is a market for that material already.

On 6/17/2024 at 12:01 AM, kimik said:

The issue with this series is that it is set at the end of the HR era that has not been introduced in the books or comics yet. That was a huge mistake, IMHO. It looks like DIS/Kennedy chickened out and are trying to tie this to the Skywalker SW-verse without stating it. They should have gone further back to the HR era that they dealing with in the novels and comics - there is a market for that material already.

I agree that it would have been nice to be in that world, but the only problem is that there could be some huge spoiler potential. I guess if they did something with the origins of the Path of the Open Hand or something with the history Marchion Ro’s race, a lot of people would have been into it and it wouldn’t have spoiled stuff that has been written but not released. Even the history of the Leveler/Nameless would have been great. That would probably play out more like a horror show, though and wouldn’t be a good first taste of the high republic for some.

The creator did say that season 2 (if there is one) would include more characters and stuff from the novels. 

Also, while there isn’t anything in the show from the books/comics except Vern and her dumb rule-following nature (sorry HR Reddit, her lightsaber is awesome, but I’m not a fan of her character in the books), I do think we will get some references of stuff that happened in the books and comics like the Great Hyperspace Disaster which occurred in the first novel. 

On 6/17/2024 at 11:43 AM, jsilverjanet said:

sorry this thread is for people that hate the show, your comments will be deleted in 24 hours

I'm surprised it's stayed up for this long!  Hope things are going well.

I would say I'm surprised at how much people (here) will watch a show they despise but if the she hulk series showed me anything, is that hate is a far greater motivator than love

that is the world we live in today

everyone said "watch big bang theory" etc, i watched maybe two episodes and realized this show is dumb, not for me etc. Never watched another episode.

Plenty of other series I could probably list that I had similar experiences but for whatever reason, this board loves to hate watch

life is too short to waste your time on something you don't enjoy, especially with so much great content out there

(shrug)

This show could actually be very good depending on how they stick the landing. 

Hear me out.  Part of being a wrestling fan is to see where the writers are going to take the storylines and finishes to the matches.   There are a couple of board members here where we actively text each other when WWE is on to critique and project where things are headed and what they are going to do as well as where they failed and what would have made the most sense.  

The Acolyte?

Here is where I see they COULD be going with this.  It is VERY important for as some are calling them, "lesbian witches" to birth force users through the will of the force.   Isn't that how Anakin was born?  Someone "willed it" into existence?  This series has been good at suggesting that the Jedi are not always up to good which is what Lucas has suggested where Dooku and others slipped to the dark side. 

What if the knowledge to birth someone through the will of the force is something that is passed down through history as something that the Jedi reject but the Sith pick up?  They have not revealed who Mae's master is.  What happens if that master takes on another apprentice at the end by the name of Plagueis?  What if one of the Jedi turns to the dark side?

Like it, don't like it.   Either way, I am enjoying the ride.   I will pass judgement based on where the ride leaves us at the end.  

Saw this posted a couple places on Reddit. This is the theory I’m leaning to the most at the moment. 

Spoiler

Mother Aniseya didn’t *create* them, she made a pact with a Sith Lord (Plageous, the as-yet Unnamed Master etc) to conceive them within Korrin without her knowledge. The condition of this pact was to prepare the Twins to become Sith. Aniseya betrayed the Sith to give the Twins a better life, she has taken credit for their conception.

This betrayal has motivated the Sith to destroy the Coven and take the children by force, the Jedi intervening served to implicate them in the massacre and instil doubt in Mae and Osha; goading them towards the Dark Side.

On 6/17/2024 at 11:00 AM, Buzzetta said:

Jedi are not always up to good

I think a better choice of words would be their intentions while good aren't always the best choice/decision (or very practical)

Edited by jsilverjanet