• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver-Age mexican re-prints I've never seen before...

41 posts in this topic

This guy has got a bunch of Tales to Astonish on eBay.

This is a WONDERFUL, VINTAGE MX COMIC BOOK OF TALES TO ASTONISH. An item all Collectors must have, IT WAS PUBLISHED IN SEP - 30 - 1964. BY LA PRENSA. The Comic is in good condition with no missing pages 32,

Is he trying to pass this off as a 60s comic when the cover price is $1.00?

Or is that mexican currency... frustrated.gif

If it's an 80s re-print it's probably worthless in low grade I assume.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Some wise soul please enlighten me. flowerred.gif

Hmm, the cover is TTA #44, but the title is The Surprising Spider-Man...can't tell from that scan what the price is 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Marvel Gerber Photojournals have some pictures of weird and wacky foreign reprints; I think some even have new covers, which may or may not be interesting.

Apparently Mexico started reprinting Marvel comics in Spanish with the Fantastic Four in 1962 - so there is a good chance it is from the 60s - the $1.00 would refer to one peso, which from the mid 50s to the mid 70s was worth 8¢ U.S. - a peso was divided into 100 centavos back then. Even so, I can't see it being worth $49 to anyone today, not in that condition anyway.

Apparently Mexico started reprinting Marvel comics in Spanish with the Fantastic Four in 1962 - so there is a good chance it is from the 60s - the $1.00 would refer to one peso, which from the mid 50s to the mid 70s was worth 8¢ U.S. - a peso was divided into 100 centavos back then. Even so, I can't see it being worth $49 to anyone today, not in that condition anyway.

Except perhaps, to a Mexican completionist, looking for that specific copy 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Great analysis, as always RJ! thumbsup2.gif

hi.gif

Except perhaps, to a Mexican completionist, looking for that specific copy 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Great analysis, as always RJ! thumbsup2.gif

hi.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

You're correct, all Marvel comics were printed in Spanish in Mexico back in the 60's. DC's were done since the 50's.

$1.00 Mexican was a dime back then. The comics were done a few months after the U.S. issues hit the stands.

Is he trying to pass this off as a 60s comic when the cover price is $1.00?

Or is that mexican currency... frustrated.gif

If it's an 80s re-print it's probably worthless in low grade I assume.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Some wise soul please enlighten me. flowerred.gif

I have a bunch of 60's marvels "en espanol". I particularly enjoy my DD #1 (El Diablo) and FF 12 (El Fantastic Quatro, and the Hulk is "La Mole").

Maybe I will scan them in later. I picked them up cheap, after winning an ebay auction on a side deal. Have early FF's mostly. They are definitely from the mid 60's.

Elvis

Well,I stand corrected. I have a bunch of Dc Mexican reprints from the 70s and didn't think these could have been earlier.

as several of you have some knowledge of these,do you know anything about a line of DC comics,published in english that have a super-Hombre logo with a picture of supes busting a chain. I bought an Action off ebay that had this variant logo off to the side.

Elvis - please do scan them - I think many of us here would love to see what the Mexican versions of DD#1 and FF#12 look like.

Ok, I will make it a point to get them up ASAP. I will tell you this though, The color is different on them. Especially the DD 1. You can see for yourselves when i post them.

Elvis

Elvis - please do scan them - I think many of us here would love to see what the Mexican versions of DD#1 and FF#12 look like.

Ok, here you go. DD is dated July 1966. FF 12 is dated Aug 1963. Major differences are in the advertising (all different from US version) and some minor technical stuff like the stamp on the top left, and some colors (DD is all red). And of course the language.

I have to say they are in great shape. The FF 12 is at least an 8. If only...

Elvis

dd1esp.jpg

ff12esp.jpg

Extremely cool !!!- Thanks for sharing 893applaud-thumb.gif

Now those are two books I'm sure would have no trouble selling for at least $49 apiece.

Thanks guys. I took a chance and picked them up, sight unseen, from a seller on ebay (Who I had bought 1 comic from). I am actually kind of fond of them. I also picked up FF 8, 11, 13, and 15 at the same time. Got them el cheapo.

I was pretty happy when they arrived.

Elvis.

Extremely cool !!!- Thanks for sharing 893applaud-thumb.gif

Now those are two books I'm sure would have no trouble selling for at least $49 apiece.

Absolutely!

I love the FF 12! thumbsup2.gif

Am I the only one who hears imagines exaggerated Mexican accents when reading these? I find it hilarious...

LA PRECIOSA KAREN PAGE!

You are right!!!

These are my favorites:

El Carinoso..

"Opaco" Nelson

and

Aqui Esta....

Diabolico!!!!

Thanks guys. I took a chance and picked them up, sight unseen, from a seller on ebay (Who I had bought 1 comic from
Did you ask the seller, "So do you also have anything else laying around to sell while we are doing this Ebay transaction"? I ask because there have been times when I've bought some super books from a seller and I'm tempted to say, "What else do you have?"