• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver-Age mexican re-prints I've never seen before...

41 posts in this topic

Did you ask the seller, "So do you also have anything else laying around to sell while we are doing this Ebay transaction"? I ask because there have been times when I've bought some super books from a seller and I'm tempted to say, "What else do you have?"

Yes I do it all the time. It sometimes works and sometimes does not. Has worked for me quite well on occasion.

Elvis

This guy has got a bunch of Tales to Astonish on eBay.

Did you ask the seller, "So do you also have anything else laying around to sell while we are doing this Ebay transaction"? I ask because there have been times when I've bought some super books from a seller and I'm tempted to say, "What else do you have?"

Come to think of it, THIS IS THE GUY I PURCHASED MY MEXICAN COPIES OF DD1 AND FF 12 + FROM.

I just went back to see if this guy had any more for sale and recognized his name. It used to be pedrobar. He left me a positive feedback in December 1999 for the auction i won (and subsequent additional purchases).

check it out if you want...

My ebay name is elvisnj

It looks like the title alternated between TTA reprints and ASM reprints for a while - kind of strange - I wonder if any of the other Mexican titles did something like this?

It looks like the title alternated between TTA reprints and ASM reprints for a while - kind of strange - I wonder if any of the other Mexican titles did something like this?

Fantastic Four alternated with Strange Tales, Avengers with Tales of Suspense.

All Superman titles (Action, Adventure, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen) were published under the Superman titles. Batman and Detective Comics were published under the Batman title.

By the mid to late 60's Mexican editions were also publishing their own Superman and Batman annuals featuring Golden Age reprints.

Thanks for the info Ron

I'd love to see what those DC annuals look like - did they do them 80pg giant style with a group of images from the different stories - or were they like the British Annuals?

Anything on the Super-Hombre cover variants on english language Actions from the early 60s? Anything would be more than I have now,except he fact they exist. I've heard they were distribute in hispanic areas of LA and Arizona and I've heard they were distributed in tourists areas of Mejico,but those are just fifth party guesses,I believe.

Most dealers I've shown my single copy to have never seen one before.

Please forgive this being slighly off topic with Argentina as well as off topic in the fact that it's 1957. But I sure got a kick out of this comparison.

On the left is SUPERMAN NO.106 July 1956 as published in Argentina by Muchnik Editores in the collection SUPERHOMBRE Nº274 in February 1957.

886598-s106.jpg

The original issue has 36 pages

SUPERHOMBRE Nº274 is half size, with 46 black and white pages, reproducing 7 adventures.

This all came from

http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/asimov/20/compar4.html

886598-s106.jpg.27c4da95e8a874627c577475be528b37.jpg

Marvels were published by La Prensa and DC's by Novaro. I'm from Puerto Rico and back in the 60's I'd buy both, the U.S. editions and the Mexican editions. I think these days they are done in Spain and some are more expensive (cover price) than the U.S. editions.

Gonna go scan some now...

Great post! thanks for taking the time to scan so many cool books! These boards need a permanent foriegn comic thread! With original and reprinted material. I don't collect them myself, but I always check out the covers whenever something shows up in the ebay GA section.

I'm wondering if the Hombre Arana #24 came out before the Diabolico #1, as

DD's outfit is still yellow, whereas it was changed to red for the Diabolico #1, no doubt due to the lag time between the original and the Mexican reprint.

Are those pen marks on the Hombre Arana's indicating the corresponding issue of ASM yours?

Love the name "El Doctor Infierno".

Also interesting that in Argentina it was Superhombre, but in Mexico still Superman - which explains why the Mexican superhero was named Kaliman .

Great stuff, and thanks for posting. Why is there a differnce in Fantastic and Fantasticos?

Anyway those are wonderful.

No idea why they went with the "Fantastic" (english) for the first two issues. Probably sounded too generic, decided to stick with "Fantasticos".

Great post! thanks for taking the time to scan so many cool books! These boards need a permanent foriegn comic thread! With original and reprinted material. I don't collect them myself, but I always check out the covers whenever something shows up in the ebay GA section.

Search for "Mexican Comic" on eBay, you'll find some stuff listed from time to time.

I'm wondering if the Hombre Arana #24 came out before the Diabolico #1, as

DD's outfit is still yellow, whereas it was changed to red for the Diabolico #1, no doubt due to the lag time between the original and the Mexican reprint.

It probably did, don't have them nearby now to check. The name was also changed from "Dynamo" to "Diabolico".

Are those pen marks on the Hombre Arana's indicating the corresponding issue of ASM yours?

Yeah, used to write all over them back then.

Also interesting that in Argentina it was Superhombre, but in Mexico still Superman - which explains why the Mexican superhero was named Kaliman .

Even Superboy was called Superman, but Flash was Flash and Batman was Batman - El Hombre Murcielago, which is Batman in spanish.

Here's some of my old ones from 1961 and on...

Wow, very cool. FF 1 is great!! Awesome set of Spideys too. Did they cost you alot?

Also,

I think it should be noted that the unidentified object that is by the Things head in all the US copies of FF 4 is strangely missing on this foreign copy.

Also,

I think it should be noted that the unidentified object that is by the Things head in all the US copies of FF 4 is strangely missing on this foreign copy.

That's a seagull right?

I always thought that what it was since they were right on a beach headed into the ocean.

confused-smiley-013.gif

That's a seagull right?

I always thought that what it was since they were right on a beach headed into the ocean.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually there is some disagreement on that. I always thought it was a print error. This Spanish version (where it is missing) supports that theory.

Elvis