• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Favorite Ghost Stories in the BA...

3 posts in this topic

So, the Bronze Age saw a loosening of the Comics Code for the first time in its existence, which resulted in a resurgence of previously forbidden topics, like horror, vampires, ghouls, werewolves, and the like. DC, and editor (and EC Comics vet) Joe Orlando, took the lead in bringing about these changes by revamping House of Mystery (#174), and later the revived House of Secrets (#81) away from their sci-fi Silver Age settings, back to their suspense/thriller/horror roots.

This resulted in a wellspring of new stories, written and illustrated by Adams, O'Neil, Wrightson, Jones, Kaluta, and the like...a very welcome departure from the endless (and often laughably implausible) superhero stories of the 60s.

Marvel, which was challenging the Code on other fronts (most famously in ASM #96-98), was quick to follow suit, but, oddly enough, weren't quite as adept at telling ghost stories as DC, which had some fantastic classics during this timeframe.

So...what's your favorite Ghost Story? I have to admit, The Widow's Walk from HOM #179 is probably my favorite ghost story from the era, but The Secret of the Waiting Graves from 'Tec #395 is also up there, and one of the very first comic stories I ever read (in the form of Dynamic Classics #1.)

latest?cb=20081224125707

HOM #179, the story of a woman whose captain husband loved her only for her father's money, who is revealed as the gold-digger he is, abandoning his wife...for which she curses him that he will never return to land so long as she lives. As he leaves in his ship, it founders, and his wife wills it to sink, carrying her husband and his ship to the bottom. For 60 years, she holds her curse, and finally, on the day of her death, Angus and his ghostly ship rise from the bottom and make landfall...

(And, even though it isn't Bronze, probably my favorite ghost story of all time is "Hold Me" from Hellblazer #27.)

What's your favorite GHOST STORY from this era?

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And, even though it isn't Bronze, probably my favorite ghost story of all time is "Hold Me" from Hellblazer #27.

It is brilliant.