• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified for Marriage?

80 posts in this topic

What the hey? Here is a CGC 9.6 Strange Tales #37 that is Qualified with a Married Cover? This is - well - restoration at least Moderate if not Heavy? I don't get this at all. The book is not original with work done to it. It is Frankenstein's Monster made up out two parts once dead...now living. confused.gifcrazy.gif

Married Cover that is Qualified by CGC?

Well....agree or not, CGC has been pretty consistent with how they handle this situation. Ultimately, should it really matter if it is given the green or the purple label as long as full disclosure is provided? cool.gif

Ultimately, should it really matter if it is given the green or the purple label as long as full disclosure is provided?

Absolutely. And one of the BIG reasons is the possibility of staple replacement. Since the cover was married to the interior the staples had to be unbent, removed, indeed the whole book had to be dissambled, the interior matched to the holes (hopefully) and the staples re-inserted. With that done it is absolutely impossible to determine if the original staples have been used. But beyond the original staples, the original danged COVER has not been used. I expected more from you, Greggy. Much, much more. So much more. I must weep now - then abandon hope - then twitch spastically - then do a couple of shoulder torques.

I mean...jeeze...man...I mean...gawd...gosh...::gasp:: ::choke::

No disassemble! NO DISASSEMBLE! ::brrrrr::

Well, my capellini with marinara is almost done - that is, the sauce is hot and sweet and the water is boiling and capellini only takes 1 minute 45 seconds (NOT 2 minutes like the box says!). So I have decided to throw a fit later.

But JEEZE! You can't just discard with an odd backhand the concept of Restored vs Qualified - they are totally different animals - different things - differnet differences ::inhale:: ::exhlae::.

Man this has me going!

OK - marinara now - have-a-fit later.

It is Frankenstein's Monster made up out two parts once dead...now living.

Ye cats, Pov I do love it when you talk like that! And yes, I do think that is some pretty serious restoration happenin' there! Screw that "Qualified" nonsense! They can take our money, pride, social lives, and capability for independent thought, but they will never take.... our (dramatically restored) comics!

They can take our money, pride, social lives, and capability for independent thought, but they will never take.... our (dramatically restored) comics!

Yeah! ::rabble rabble rabble:: And NO QUALIFICATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION! ::rabble rable rabble::

I love it when POV ruins his own thread!

Hey! Dagnabbit!

::tuning into the smooth and gentle, educated voice of National Public Radio::

But seriously now, my fine fellow, once a book has been dismantled does it not leave it open to various and sundry applications available in a restorer's arsenal? May the Justice Of The Piece (bwahhhh haaa HAAAA ::ahem:: ... sorry::) not decide that there may some cleaning that could also be done? Perchance a pressing, at least of the interior pages? And, as has been established, owing to the staples having had to be removed for such a process, is it not prudent to also ask oneself, since the venerable grading assocaition has determined that not all cleaning and pressing is detectable, is this not a potential loophole for slipstreaming the lesser restorations?

Or, to be more succinct...go suck an egg! grin.gif

Not that I want this to get back on-topic or anything...

But what about the book that COVER came off of? A 9.6? What the hail? I mean, grading obviously begins and ends with the cover, so the interior must be amazing too, but where the hell do you find a cover like that with an interior that was so badly damaged that it's worth it to go to all the trouble of Qualifying... er, RESTORING a book like that??? I mean, did someone take impossibly good care of the cover only to draw all over the interior pages?? Methinks there was more Qualification... er, RESTORATION than meets the eye!

Mmmm, do you recalled when Bonds25 bought those Eastern File copies and I said that I thought that the covers were married! I wonder if that book was from the same lot? Same genre and era of books! Dammit, I'll prove you wrong yet! blush.gif

Dammit, I'll prove you wrong yet!

Gotta love that "yet".

But seriously - something I noticed about a few of the Eastern File Copies was that there were what looked for all the world like Distribution or Newsstand markings on some of them. I spent several years in the printing industry - unfortunately never oversaw 4-c comiucs but why should there be such cover notations on books that never left the printing plant?

is - well - restoration at least Moderate if not Heavy? I don't get this at all. The book is not original with work done to it.

You are right on this one Pov. This is a clear abuse of the Qualified label by CGC in my opinion. This books should have gotten a purple Restored label.

Greggys argument using the green label with full disclosure doesn't wash. What about the potential buyers out there who don't know what a married cover is? They may be buying this book (without any mention of the word 'restored') thinking that the book is all original.

I agree to some extent with the principle of the Qualified label, but when CGC use on a book that is clearly restored then it is providing a disservice to the comic community.

The cover on this book DID NOT come from another book. It was cut from an uncut sheet with either 5 or 7 other comic covers of different issues that were printed that month, on it. Some of these sheets included books from different COMPANIES on them! Eastern did the four-color work for Dell, Marvel, ACG, Atlas and a bunch of other comic publishers! Someone took a "normally" constructed book and after eliminating the old cover, reassembled it with the untouched File cover after cutting the cover down to size.

Now here's the dilemna. The FACTORY cut down and assembled the covers on the interiors originally, and any ADDITIONAL cutting by any party AFTER THAT FACT, is TRIMMING. It's already been cut down once (off a sheet) for mounting, *HENCE trimming is more properly RE-trimming, since the factory actually TRIMMED the cover initially from a sheet.

Whoever mounted the new cover trimmed it to fit, JUST AS THE FACTORY DID decades ago. In other words...STEP 1. To trim it AGAIN (or re-trimming, as discussed) would be restoration. That's STEP 2, but that ISN'T the case here. Whoever assembled this book DID WHAT THE FACTORY DID DECADES AGO when the book was initially produced. They first disassembled, then carefully reassembled. There is no cleaning, pressing, color touch, pieces, etc.. In other words, no restorative procedures of any kind (if restoration can be explained as the procedure of performing visual improvement). Sure, cleaned and pressed books that undergo a chem-bath MUST be disassembled then reassembled but THAT is the REASON for the dismantling. So a restorative procedure can be performed.

So, in essence, IS THIS A RESTORED BOOK, or something assembled 40+ years AFTER its initial production?

If you find a 1936 Auburn Boat-Tail Roadster in a factory, but it is UNASSEMBLED, is it a restored car if you re-assemble it in 2003? Or is it still worth 2 million dollars because it would be the absolute CLEANEST example in the history of automotive collectibles, never having been assembled until NOW, from MINT parts?

*HENCE (Tm Araich..used by permission)