• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified for Marriage?

80 posts in this topic

If replacement of PARTS of a cover or interior is restoration. It stands to reason that replacing 100% of a cover is too..... I dont even understand how you could ever find all the parts to a classic car so I dont understand that analogy at all

Well I agree and have said all along it was restoration. Also, the car analogy was proferred by someone else and I was responding to it.

If replacement of PARTS of a cover or interior is restoration. It stands to reason that replacing 100% of a cover is too..... I dont even understand how you could ever find all the parts to a classic car so I dont understand that analogy at all

Well I agree and have said all along it was restoration. Also, the car analogy was proferred by someone else and I was responding to it.

But in this case, it was essentially a "brand-new" cover... that is, a cover that was never a part of a comic before. How can you "restore" something that never was?

On the flipside, the cover being added to the innards of the book IS restoration, as the book's cover was replaced with the superior cover.

Qualified it is... unless you can tell me why the parts of a comic are separate, but not equal?

That's the gray area I spoke of. The cover was NEVER used before. Wasn't even properly sized down and the ends discarded as the machinery at the production house did. In essence, it was mounted on the interior by someone who did the FACTORY'S job of adhering it to an interior. That's why the car analogy. A car whose parts were SO mint conditioned that it was never even assembled until 40 years later. A car that couldn't even have been driven because there was no car in the classic sense, just it's parts. When the cover was removed from the old interior used to fill that unused cover, it was rendered COVERLESS. A coverless book is NOT considered a restored book. It's a poor/fair. You can take ANY Marvel, remove the cover, submit it to CGC and it will come back in a blue top holder. Does CGC know whether YOU removed the cover, it eroded away, or if it simply fell off from wear and storage???

Coverless comic = unrestored.

File cover = NOT a comic as of yet, but I'm quite sure that if it were folded so it would fit into a slab and submitted to CGC for grading, it would return a blue top 1.0 fair / "all the interior pages missing".

Assemble the two and you have a gorgeous, COMPLETE comic book that has NOT BEEN RESTORED. Just assembled later on.

I know, the staples have to be removed from the coverless to do that. BUT, they are NOT being removed so restorative pieces, spine reinforcement, wet-cleaning, etc., can be performed to the cover. The staples are being removed to do what the factory DIDN'T. Then replaced through the same tine holes and re-tightened at the centerfold.

wow oh boy jeez whillakers.

Did any of you guys ever play Stratego? Well, it seem I just stumbled totally innocently onto Hammer's secret identity like walking into a spy with my "number 1" guy.!!! Danny--- I'm new here. I had absolutely NO IDEA who you, or anyone else is. (You didnt ONCE use the word CHROMA!) But I guess I do now. Did any one else here know this? Sorry Danny.

Really.

Its a total surprise to me what you have (I think) admitted by your totally defensive response to my statement. But dont worry your secret is safe with me....and FF...

Hammer doesn't hide the fact that he is the E-Bay seller comic-keys...what he took issue with was you saying that hammer/comic-keys is Danny Dupcak. I know this so well because he's threatened several times to sue me just like he did to you. The following link is to the thread where he came out on these boards, and it's the beginning of series of threads he threatened to sue me over (his name in that thread is "Methuselah," an account he later got banned because he threatened other board members with it):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicgen&Number=14934&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

That's the gray area I spoke of. The cover was NEVER used before

Hammer--It doesnt matter what you replace the old cover with or whether it is an unused printers proof, or used paper bags. All that matters, restoration-wise, is if anything other than the original cover that was factory-assembled with the pages is still with the original pages. YOU, or anyone else cannot 'be' the factory and 'finish' the assembly, or fix it, or do it better, etc. after the fact. Well, you can but I digress----

Does CGC know whether YOU removed the cover, it eroded away, or if it simply fell off from wear and storage???

Well it doesnt matter does it? Except as to CGCs reputation for spottting restoration. But they seem to be backpedalling from taking a stance on these grey areas like trimming. Before CGC, a MINT cover on a VG interior was a dead giveaway and was considered a restored book. But, now, once it gets past CGC, I guess you (or anyone else) is home free.

thanx, povertyrow--- Really, I'm still reeling from the 'shock' of his response. Furthest thing from my mind. I thought he may have been Jay Maybruck or something but this is too much! I guess I should have guessed he'd be on the boards somewhere. Can't wait to read the link you gave me to catch up on the story thus far!

But I caution you and everyone else. We Do Not Know For Sure. So Beware what you say. My attorney added that last part. shocked.gif

You're here for one thing, and one thing only. That's as apparent as a CGC purple label. You're going to keep this up until you're subpoened into court to present your proof. WHERE did I use the word "Chroma" anywhere on this Forum? I own ONE Eastern Color Married book and I just won it on Ebay. I've never assembled a file copy book and if you have PROOF of what you say, PRESENT IT NOW..anonymous troublemaker or is your purpose here to be my personal troll, which of course will be condoned by Arch. If so, let that be known as well so I can take the proper steps. Your purpose is PURE criminal mischief. Pure slander with the intent to disrupt MY business with unsubstantiated and UNPROVED claims.

Really, I'm still reeling from the 'shock' of his response.

Why reeling? The concept of what comprises restoration is still very subjective. All are entitled to their own definitions. All are entitled to follow whatever travails the market puts on it. I am never shocked by any response here. Overall we have intelligent, knowledgeable people who have their own ideas and thoughts on particular subjects. And you can quote me on this (actually you can quote me on ANYTHING I say but this is for drama) ::ahem:: And you can quote me on this: "Povertyrow says that ultimately comic books were and are a business that people who enjoy collecting them place all manner of constraints, definitions, daffynitions, rules, values and histories on. Does not make them weird. Does not make them wrong. Simple makes them collectors with passion. As am I"

And I thank you.

Now stop reeling and get on your own two feet! you've had them long enough such an honest and direct response should NEVER have taken you off balance!

I think he meant the shock of hammer being comic-keys

If so, why address it to me? lol. I mean - seriously - I odn;t give a hoot who is who here. If someone has something intelligent to say - wether I agree or not - I will welcome it.

I think he screwed up--the message he clicked on to reply to was mine, yet he referred to you in the text. I guess there are only a few people posting in this thread and he just mixed us up.

And WHY is it so shocking that Hammer is Comic-Keys, Jamie Boy? You're still playing that sad old song aren't you? How long have you been trying to prove your Phantom Menace from the past theorey, Rudd? Have you had any success lately? Any breakthroughs? Or are you still at first base..the HERE-SAY level? At least 2.5 years of work, shot to S**t, yet you keep "coaching" folks on my "secret" identity. Funny! Because I KNOW about the Eatern File copies, I MUST be the one who assembled them...SOUND thinking! Hey, Because you KNOW Cobain had his head blown apart with a 12 gauge, YOU must be the guy that shot him! Same kind of sound logical, deductive thinking. Dupcheck used to say CHROMA. I've NEVER said CHROMA, so I MUST be him!!! It's like Pig-latin, except it's pig-logic.

yes. Im new here and just hit 'REPLY' and start talking and answer a few posts at a time.

And yes I was reeling at stumbling on to the whole Danny D thing.

I read the whole sorry Methuselah thread and now understand more about all of this. And what has come before. So, Hammer before you fly off the handle and start wanting to meet me in an alley somewhere:

1) I mentioned Danny solely because this 'marriage' of unused covers and used interiors was his special niche. That and stamping "FILE COPY" on the insides etc.

2) Go read it again: I never said ANYBODY was Danny here...just brought up the name.

3) You accused me of saying YOU were he. I never did.

4). I wrote the reeling reply before it I read the Methuselah thread. I assumed, BASED ON YOUR APOPLECTIC response to me that you must be Danny. Why else respond in such a manner.

but, finally, 4) After reading the thread, all I can say with assuredness is that you are ComicKeys, (I mean, really, who else even know what a "Coelecantheley" is let alone refers to their pet "whatever".)...And that Comic Keys used the name Dr Richard Coos in Methuselah's ID page, and your handling of my offhand comment resembles that Meth thread.

As to whether the Dr Richard Coos or Comic keys names that appeared on ebay years ago, and were whispered to be the fateful return of the one, and only Danny D. I honestly see no proof from anything Ive read.

So relax big guy. Hammer's a knowledgeable guy. I hope you AREN'T Danny

who else even know what a "Coelecantheley" is let alone refers to their pet "whatever".)...

Whoah there boy! Okay now! I know what a Coelacanth is. Let me explain....no there is not time...let me sum up...Coelacanths date back about 360-400 million years. They werre thought to be extinct until their re-discovery in 1938. Now they make for fine dining when properly filleted, gently sauteed in butter and finished with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice (fresh, not bottled). So they! I bet even more of us know of this tasty bit of seafood! grin.gif