• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your books from the Gerber Photo Journal covers !

26 posts in this topic

I have 8 of the books pictured on the covers (all of them L.B. Cole or pre-code horror, except for an FF1)- unfortunately my old Imac died with all the scans living on it - and my scanner is seemingly incompatible with the OS on my laptop - so I am unable to post scans. There are probably another

4 or 5 I'd like to have - but one is Suspense #3 - so I don't think I'll be aquiring it any time soon.

I just added this and the Thrilling Crime Cases 49 I posted elsewhere at San Diego. It seems like the Cole covers were easiest to get for some reason. Maybe I'm just willing to pay more for them than other comics.

Mask2.jpg

So far I've got Classics 40, Four Color 318, FF 1, Out of This World, Blue Bolt Weird Tales 111, Startling Terror 11, TCC 49, and Mask 2. But I can't even complete a row because I'm boxed in by things like Bats 1 or Supes 1.

I just added this and the Thrilling Crime Cases 49 I posted elsewhere at San Diego. It seems like the Cole covers were easiest to get for some reason. Maybe I'm just willing to pay more for them than other comics.

Mask2.jpg

So far I've got Classics 40, Four Color 318, FF 1, Out of This World, Blue Bolt Weird Tales 111, Startling Terror 11, TCC 49, and Mask 2. But I can't even complete a row because I'm boxed in by things like Bats 1 or Supes 1.

Use the Famous First Editions to fill those spaces - we won't tell.

Gerber was evidently a L.B. Cole fan based on the number of covers he used on the dust jackets - can't argue with good taste.

I know, but it's not the same thing. I'll have to go either restored or poor for those sorts of books. Next I want the Contact 12 although I've got a line on some non-Cole like the World War III. I think patience is the key.

Gerber was evidently a L.B. Cole fan based on the number of covers he used on the dust jackets - can't argue with good taste.
Who ISN'T a Cole fan? I need to get a Mask 1!

I know, but it's not the same thing. I'll have to go either restored or poor for those sorts of books. Next I want the Contact 12 although I've got a line on some non-Cole like the World War III. I think patience is the key.

Who ISN'T a Cole fan? I need to get a Mask 1!

So are you really looking to collect all the dustjacket books! That's one way to end up with alot of cool books, though it won't be cheap. I salute you!

The ones I've picked up over the years- though not because they're on the covers of the Gerber Guides, are: FF#1, Catman #32, Horrific #3, Punch #20, Contact #12, Captain Flight #11, World War III #1, and Tomb of Terror #15.

I used to own FR copies of Mr. Mystery #12 and Startling Terror #11 - but sold them awhile back - wouldn't mind picking up copies again someday.

Most of the Schomburg covers and a couple of the Fine covers, as well as the Terrific and the Phantom Lady #17 are all books I would like to have someday, and the balance of the horror and Cole books are ones I'd keep if I ever find them cheap, but I have to confess if I ever ended up with any of the big dollar keys ( yeah, like that'll happen ) I'm sure I'd sell them to finance other purchases. I'm guessing the Green Giant book will be the hardest to find.

This is what I have:

Contact Comics #12

Mister Mistery #12

Mask Comics #2

Tomb of Terror #15

Blue Bolt #111

Startling Terror Tales #11 (vol #2, spider cover)

Thrilling Crime Cases #49

Horrific #3

Mask Comics #1

Weird Mysteries #2

My next book from these covers is most likely Punch Comics #12, Captain Flight #11 or Weird Tales of the Future #3. I would really love to have a Suspense Comics #1 and Phantom Lady #17. (I'm being realistic here.... no Batman #1 for me smile.gif )

Here are a couple of them....

882982-ContactComics12.jpg

882982-ThrillingCrimeCases49.jpg

882982-MaskComics1.jpg

882982-MaskComics1.jpg.716be491126438592dc5f8a4f51386bb.jpg

POV, here are the books on the covers:

Kid Komics 2

Out of this World 1

Green Giant Comics 1

Shadow 3

ASM 1

Tec 2